Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [15]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [0]
Given Kudos: 3439
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink]
Kudos
my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p704543

my story's pretty much summed up here. i had sort of an unclear path during undergrad and afterwards as well. considered law for a while. also had a low gpa issue. and i guess at the end of it all, after all these yrs...everything worked out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [10]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Corp Fin
Schools:Ross (R2), Cornell (R3) , UNC (R3) , INSEAD (R1 Jan)
 Q44  V42 GMAT 2: 710  Q47  V40
GPA: 1.87
WE 1: Advisory (2 yrs)
WE 2: FP & Analysis (2 yrs at matriculation)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This post will cover the basics: when, what, where, etc but I've decided to put more emphasis on tips and things I learned along the way. Things that if I had known ahead of time, would have made life a lot easier.

When and What: I've always liked business, even growing up. Being born behind the iron curtain in Eastern Europe I remember wondering when I was a kid, hey how come some economies thrive and are able to produce huge conglomerates, while others aren't? I always wondered if it was sheer luck or if there was something some people were getting right while others weren't. So when I was a kid, I became determined to get an education in business and economics at a "Western school". Well little did I know something as simple as obtaining a college degree would turn out to be one of the most challenging experiences of my life. Relying only on myself in a different country forced me to become more mature and responsible that other kids I met. I knew that I had to learn quickly or would be sent home packing. My whole UG experience was really painful, but I felt an immense sense of accomplishment when I finally did it.

So then degree in hand, I found a job at one of the biggest advisory shops in Canada. I wanted to learn from the best even if that meant that I wouldn't make as much as money as I would have had I gone somewhere else. I knew that long-term I wanted to be in finance. Initially, I was interested in asset management for one of the big institutional investors in Canada (there aren't that many), then as I started to do more networking, went through a bunch of the Vault career guides, I realized that PE/VC is more the career that I wanted. Intellectually challenging, rewarding and with great exit opps. Perfect I thought. Along the way I also realized that the way we conduct business today, the whole incentive system is flawed. Regardless of what you believe the impact of business on human life (especially in poor counties), the environment, etc is, we all know there is one, the question is do you care enough to change anything. I began thinking about a new way to view margins and to give everyone an incentive to internalize the costs they incur, since we currently only internalize direct costs. It’s always bothered me that there's no internalization of livelihood of anyone or any social environment costs that businesses incur. I knew that an MBA was the best way to get me there - I knew I needed the knowledge, the contacts and the exposure to opinions different than my own. I decided to not take the social enterprise angle to my applications as this was somewhat of an add-on that I wanted to work on initially. I needed the fundamentals first.

Where: I firmly believe that school selection is one of the most important factors especially for applicants that have a pronounced weakness in their profile or have very unique post-MBA aspirations.
Another lesson I learned, and possibly one of the most important ones, was to not sell yourself short. You're from an overrepresented demographic? You can do it! You have a really low GPA? You can do it! You're a career switcher and your background to date doesn't have much to do with your post-MBA goals? You can do it! Be realistic but always dream big.

I also decided to focus on 3-5 schools tops but really put together compelling applications. For those of you who don't know my story, just look to the left of this post and notice I'm rocking an awesome GPA of 1.87 (yes that is on a scale of 4.0). For more info on how I overcame this, take a look at this thread: profiles-admitted-to-top-b-schools-w-low-gmat-or-low-gpa-73999-60.html

So I realized that not spreading myself thin was important. I ended up applying to only 4 schools, and got into all of them. I put my heart and soul into every application and genuinely saw myself at every school whose application I was working on at the time. I really think that shows. As you start working on an app, you start liking a school more because you get to know what it's really about. So go to that happy place in your mind and then start writing - be genuine and enthusiastic.

I ended up applying to Ross, UNC, Cornell and INSEAD. Here's what I did for every school:

- I reached out to people on this forum who were current students at the schools I was interested in and also found MBA ambassadors on each school's website. By then I already had an idea of what shape my story was going to take - it's really all about how you present things. I knew I had to highlight the skills I could transport to my chosen post-MBA field and I knew I had to emphasize things I could contribute to the class. I'm very fortunate to have traveled extensively, so I wanted to draw on that experience. When I reached out to students, I asked about: 1) classes with cases that discussed international conglomerates. Ideally I was hoping to hit one about a company or a country I knew a lot about. I asked what the course was, who taught it and the gist of the case discussed. 2) clubs - this is a big one for US schools. Schools in Europe don't care nearly as much. But if you're applying to a school in the US, understand that clubs play an instrumental role in providing industry-specific intelligence and an extensive network of contacts. Most clubs have a website, just email the president and say that you're an aspiring student, give them a 1-2 sentence background on yourself and see if you could ask a couple of questions. Chances are that the folks you come across will be friendly and willing to help. I learned that if you're truly passionate about something and are able to communicate that passion, people will do whatever they can to help you (key for interviews as well). I asked about the future direction of the club, how the most recent recruiting season shook out, and what qualities/background they think an officer of their club should possess.

- I read blogs, the school website, employment reports, memos and press releases. I wanted to know specific facts that were pertinent to the industry I was interested in as well as the broad direction of the school. All schools are somewhat different, but there're a lot of similarities at the core. I'd even argue that beyond a certain point (yes they all have a somewhat unique culture), they're all pretty much the same. Capturing those nuances however, is what’s going to make you stand out. Most people don't bother to do that much research though, so great potential to be realized there.

- Went to MBA conferences and fairs. Tried to get face time with someone from admissions at the schools I was interested in. They won't remember you later, so don't try to impress them - just ask questions you genuinely want to know the answer to, and also don't forget to take their card. Voila, now you have a contact at the school (only use as needed, stating the obvious here but being pesky won't get you far). Also a lot of the apps ask for people you've talked to at their school. Now you have this cool card in your back pocket. Add that to the list of students and alumni you've already reached out to.

- Scheduled school visits. Those are a bit overrated. Yes, it's the only way to know how you truly feel about a school and there's so much those glossy brochures, which by now are flooding your mailbox, would never be able to convey. So by all means, if you don't live too far, try to visit the school, but don't expect to learn anything too earth-shattering for the most part. Those emails you've been exchanging with current students are likely to give you more fodder for your essays/interviews than a school presentation ever would. Prior to visiting, I also emailed a couple of the current students I had been exchanging emails with and asked if they'd have time to chat over a quick cup of coffee. That's how I met in person a whole bunch of current students. By then I knew a lot about the school, but I always knew there's more to learn so every time I went with an open mind and an open heart hoping that someone would teach me something new, give me a new perspective I never thought about.

- last but not least: use this forum early and use it often – it’s free and its members are some of the most driven, intelligent and friendly folks you’ll meet in any online community. Become a regular, let us get to know you and don’t be afraid to ask questions. There’s a huge wealth of information out there that’s taken years to compile, take advantage of it!

None of the above advice is particularly earth-shattering and it’s stuff you encounter on multiple posts on this forum, but if you do the above, I guarantee you your essays and your whole story will stand out from the rest of the pack. That’s a HUGE leg up right there.

I'm not going to go into much detail about every school I applied to (there're a few items in my INSEAD vs Ross vs Cornell thread), but in the end it came down to location and post-MBA goals for me. Since after this whole ordeal (and now that I know myself a lot better - which might just be the biggest benefit of this whole experience), I have finally decided that I'll be pursuing a GM rotational program.

Anyway, I’m going to wrap up before I put you all to sleep, but seriously this whole process has been incredible. I learned a lot about myself, met some wonderful people and now have a shot at a life I never had before. I want to thank everyone on here who has helped me along the way. The least I can do is pass along the knowledge and help others offered when I needed it. I hope this helps someone out there and best of luck as you embark on this journey of a lifetime.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
thanks a lot ariel. Very well done.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
we need more stories in this thread!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Praetorian wrote:
we need more stories in this thread!

Agreed, I think these are terrific reads and really do possess candid, valuable advice...come on folks, you know longer are putting together applications and we're in a dead period, post your stories :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
This is an awesome thread, and I'll be sure to post to it in December-March, when I actually have news to give people and advice for those earlier in the process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Great story. Very inspiring. A lot of times you think that your past background may get in the way and it's frustrating, because you can't go back and change stuff. This is a major problem for people who had no plans for applying to an MBA program from the very beginning (undergrad school) and their career is just a different representation of their future goals. So thank you for sharing your experience and once again getting it out there that it's just a matter of how much you want to succeed - cause it's hard, but it's doable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
When: While I was finishing up my Bachelor's Degree, I had all intentions of getting my MBA in Sports Administration from Univ of Oregon. After a job/career change, first child, and a cross country relocation (Portland, OR to Charlotte, NC), my wife didn't want me to spend time away from her and my daughter. I continuously mentioned it about once a month, just to get her take on it. Out of the blue, she mentioned that she wanted me to, so I started the research process, and here I am.

What: Instead of Sports Administration, I am planning on going back in either finance or General Mgmt.

Where: Given my current location and time commitments, I need to get my MBA via an online program. By looking at the Top MBA programs with an online program, I am considering Indiana, Penn Stat, Florida, & Arizona State. South Carolina is an option as well, since they have a program based in Charlotte.

Where continued: After researching and doing some soul searching, Penn State and Indiana have emerged as the front runners.

Where, NOT: After much thought, it will be extremely difficult to take two nights a week and every 3rd Saturday away from my daughter. So USC is out. The trip to Florida, 4 times a year, is going to be very strenuous on my career. Would mean missing month ends and closing which are essential to any accounting career.

Maybe where: That leaves Arizona State, which is a good possibility, but the admission requirements are almost identical to those at Penn State, my #1 school. The problem is that the application deadline is before Penn State's.

The decision: I have decided to go all in with Penn State, and apply early enough so that I can maybe apply to Arizona State if needed. Indiana has the "home school" feel to it, since I went to Louisville for 4 years and most of my family is from Indiana. With my work paying for the program, it is a simple solution to help all involved. Now it is just a matter of time to improve my GMAT, and finish the appllication process.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Innovation, Entreprenuership
Schools:GSB, Haas, Kellogg, Anderson
WE 1: Design (4yrs)
Send PM
First Post! I don't have a B-school pursuit to retell yet so I can fill in my own story as the process continues over the next several months. It's incredibly helpful to get a sense of the timing involved with each step.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q47  V42
Send PM
emoryhopeful wrote:
How has your B-school plan evolved? When did you decide to pursue this, what were you goals and have those changed, and of course the rotating decision on what schools and which is your top?

When: June of '07. I had been a career switcher for the previous year, moving from an Engineering role in the Petrochemical Industry, into a Business Development role in the Engineering Staffing Industry. With this new exposure, and the numerous pitfalls of my current company, I realized that there had to be a better way to run a business, treat people, etc. So, while learning what not to do in running a company, I decided I wanted to pursue my MBA to help guide me towards the right way.

What: I've always loved figuring out the best way to do it, with what you're given. To me, that is why I became an engineer, a problem solver. I was a stickler for detail, procedures, and optimization. Getting into Business Development helped me realize how important strategy was in attaining my optimum goal. Then, with how poorly our leadership treated its employees, I realized how I didn't want to be a worker bee treated like crap, but wanted to be a leader who could encourage change and improve morale amongst people that I work with. Hence, Strategy and Leadership.

Where: Simple. I moved to Atlanta for my soon to be wife and fell in love with the city. I wanted to go to the top school in the Southeast because this is where I want to live. Well, the top schools to me were Duke, UNC, and Emory. Emory was my number one because of location, and their stress on leadership and community, which I really liked. Also, I didn't really want to move, so UNC fell first, then Duke second. I only applied to Emory. The only other place I considered was Georgia Tech, but never seriously.

The decision: Simple, again. I only applied to one school. I had done a ton of research on Emory. Visited campus a couple of times. Sat in on classes. Visited with alumni and current students. I loved it there. I got my admit on December 10th, 2007. Without a doubt I will be going to Emory and I will champion their program all the way.

Summary: I guess their wasn't much evolution in my decision making process. When I made up my mind I wanted an MBA, Emory was my top choice then and still is. I never would have even thought of other programs had I not feared putting all my eggs in one basket. Once I got over that fear, and knew I put together a good application, I stuck with my guns and never doubted myself. I guess you can call me the Sniper of the '08 applicants.

this might be a little besides the topic but i need help
I read this post about the app. process and there are striking similarities about what im going through at this point. I am a petroleum engineer working in a petrochem. company plagued by management problems and an overall lack of competent leadership. I have been working with this company straight out college for the past 4 years. Now here is where my confusion arises and i was hoping that talking to you guys would put things into perspective.

I do not want this company to go heads up, and i want to be in a position to do something about it "BUT" its the how thats getting me. I don't seem to have a clear plan. I wanna do an MBA thats for sure. the degree is gonna equip me with the tools to make sure im not in a situation where in i know the problems and, in part ,some of the solutions but cant do anything about it. That said, i thought about management consulting, (consultants = "fixer-uppers") and it ties in closely with my engineering background (i.e problem solving/debottelnecking) but as said in the above post, i dont wanna be a worker bee forever. I wanna leave my mark on the organization i work for and/or start something of my own

so you see i am throughly divided as to how i wanna proceed. and im confused bout which schools to apply for cuz i dont even know what i wanna do after i graduate (consulting? if so why? just cuz of the engineering background? doesnt sound concrete to me, dont even wanna imagin what the ad com is gonna think bout it) a little guidance from you guys would go miles in helping me to gain a clearer picture bout what i wanna do.
Thanks
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
I think you bring up a good point, but a point that only you can answer. Plenty of people are struggling to answer why MBA. If I were you, I'd start to really think about the different jobs that attract recruiters to top b-schools, and they are consulting, ibanking, and brand management. Sure, there are plenty of other fields, but really think about what you want to do in the long-run. Most people do MC for a couple of years, then move on to some sort of corporate job (due to various reasons). Start to read about the lifestyle, the culture, the job, and the whole atmosphere for all the different jobs, and think about what will fit you more appropriately. Do you have a family to take care of where you should go home every night? If so, MC is probably not the best job for you. Are you interested in doing 80 hours of work (ibanking) or 50-60 hours of work (brand management)? There are all sorts of things that you should consider and then use your surroundings and your personality to really ask yourself whether it'll work. Once you have a certain type of job that you want to do in mind, then you can start to think about your MBA because this MBA is (supposedly) the ticket to your next career.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GPA: 3.93
WE:General Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Background: Always wanted to be in business. I started studying it at the age of 14 which was when it was first offered as an elective in my school. After high school I attended Manchester Business School, a very well recognized business school in the UK. I went on exchange for a year to the University of Massachusetts where I met my girlfriend (6 years ago!). After completing my degree I went back to Boston and worked as a general manager for a Boston based engineering firm. I was then offered a job as the head of marketing in the EMEA region for a Japanese software firm which I took. Turned out to be a bad decision, I hated the job and the company was poorly run to say the least. I stuck it out for 18 months and then decided to leave. I have spent the last two years running my own business importing magnetic products from China.

Why: I have always wanted to take my academic career to a very high level and my interest in business meant that the MBA was always my postgrad degree of choice.

Why Now: My own company was providing a decent income but was unlikely to grow much more. It was also very easy and I was getting bored (oh how I yearn to be bored again!), I decided that it was the right time because I had no responsibilities and no real financial commitments, I also wanted to move back to the states and be with my girlfriend (we are lucky enough to see each other a lot but not enough). I figured an MBA would give me the ability to pursue an international career.

Where: I had taken the GMAT during my final year of my undergraduate degree so I knew roughly where I should be applying. I enjoyed my time at Manchester Business School immensely and I know the professors and staff really well. I (arrogantly) assumed that I would walk into the school without any difficulty and, (really arrogantly) assumed that I would be given a scholarship as well. I used Manchester as my starting point and, after extensive research, chose four more schools evenly spaced throughout the FT rankings above Manchester. I opted for Judge in the UK as I love the campus and the city, (I nearly added Oxford to the list but I decided I didn't like the school), and then in the states I chose HBS, Tuck, and Yale. HBS for me was just a case of throwing in an application just in case someone read it and I got a place. Tuck was always my dream school, I'm quite outdoorsy and I didn't really want to be in a big city. Yale has a great fit with my desire to be socially responsible (yeah I know that sounds a bit corny). Also all three schools were within two hours driving distance from my girlfriend and after two years of long distance I really wanted to be close again!

GMAT: I took the GMAT again after I had decided on the schools I wanted to attend. I set myself the target of not applying to any school without being within ten points of that schools average. I got a 660 on my second attempt (4 years after the first). Decided I could do better, studied for another 6 weeks and then ended up with a 710. Unfortunately my decision to retake the GMAT meant that I missed the first two application deadlines for each school and ended up submitting my application in the April round, making life hard for myself.

Outcome: I think my desire to go to Tuck came through in all my applications, explicitly in the Tuck form, but at the other schools I found it hard to really emotionally invest in their programs to the same level and in retrospect I'm sure that came through in my essays. Judge was the first application I sent in and I actually felt good about the application. My essays were good and my GMAT was 20 points higher than their average. Someone their must have not like something in my application because I was quickly dinged, quite rudely actually. I was a bit pissed off with them really, I felt I was worth an interview, and that their ranking wasn't high enough to justify their attitude. The three US schools came next and again I felt pretty good about the apps. I had spent approx 60 hours on each and I had extensively researched all of the schools. HBS dinged me, which I was not too concerned with as although I felt my app was good I know that I was just one in a sea of great apps. Yale interviewed then dinged, again I was ok with it, I hadn't got a great feeling from the adcom while I was there and I didn't like the town at all. My applicant initiated interview at Tuck was amazing. I was at the school for about 8 hours, I attended two lectures, had lunch and dinner with two sets of students who were all incredibly friendly and who I'm still in contact with, and my interview was awesome. I really clicked with my interviewer who was a member of the adcom and I believe that this was instrumental in my final acceptance. Before I heard back from Tuck Manchester offered me a place with a significant scholarship which was a weight off my mind as at least I would be somewhere come fall. After several very tense weeks I got the decision from Tuck... Waitlisted. Aaghh limbo! I didn't know what to do with myself. A few days later I was informed that I had been put on a reduced waitlist which made me feel much better. Over the next few weeks I went through a roller coaster of emotion. Sometimes convincing myself that because I was waitlisted from the April round I must be top of the waitlist and of course I would get in, other times accepting that I wouldn't and starting to plan how to fund Manchester. Then on Tuesday last week I had a missed call from Tuck while I was in the gym. Over the following hour I must have called them back 15 times! No answer! After an eon (read 45 mins later), Tuck called me again and gave me a double whammy of good news. Accepted and a scholarship. I nearly cried.

What Now: I'm still a bit lost at the moment. There's a lot to do and a lot to take on board. I called Manchester and let them know I had to decline their offer, which I felt bad about because their adcom had been excellent. Now I'm waiting for my financial aid package to come through so I know how much I have to get in private loans, trying to sort out housing and a visa, and introducing myself to my classmates... Happy as a pig in sh**!

Takeaways: The connections I made at Tuck were key to my success, and the friends I made in such a short visit were incredibly supportive and really helped me through. I should mention that I reached out to these guys prior to submitting my application. I identified some clubs that I was interested in and got in touch through them. I would recommend everybody try to do the same at their target schools. MBA applications are about understanding yourself more than understanding the school. If you know yourself well then the school that fits you best will be obvious to you and to the adcom. I seem to see a lot of people trying to game the system and who believe that if they do certain things in a certain way that they will be admitted. I would suggest that they spend a little more time soul searching and understanding themselves.

I don't think I've done a very good job describing just how stressful this process was. The GMAT made me sick just thinking about a retake and I have missed so many nights sleep over the last six months it's not even funny. The essays were a real *complain* both in terms of time and worrying about getting it just right. At times the process made me feel stupid, and to be honest this website added to that, how is everybody scoring 760?!?!?! Funding is a nightmare in the UK at the moment, credit crunch and all that. And finally I have nobody around me who has any clue about MBA's or Schools, GMATClub has been my support network. Not having anyone to talk to has definitely made this journey harder.

Anywho, all worth it in the end eh?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Wow, glad to see this one pop up...its a great thread to show people just prepping for applications that they aren't 3 years behind the curve in terms of prepping for getting an MBA. Funny to think I started this thread 3.5 years ago. Time flies when you are having fun.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [6]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos