Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The evolution of your B-school pursuit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 12:19
emoryhopeful wrote:
How has your B-school plan evolved? When did you decide to pursue this, what were you goals and have those changed, and of course the rotating decision on what schools and which is your top?

When: June of '07. I had been a career switcher for the previous year, moving from an Engineering role in the Petrochemical Industry, into a Business Development role in the Engineering Staffing Industry. With this new exposure, and the numerous pitfalls of my current company, I realized that there had to be a better way to run a business, treat people, etc. So, while learning what not to do in running a company, I decided I wanted to pursue my MBA to help guide me towards the right way.

What: I've always loved figuring out the best way to do it, with what you're given. To me, that is why I became an engineer, a problem solver. I was a stickler for detail, procedures, and optimization. Getting into Business Development helped me realize how important strategy was in attaining my optimum goal. Then, with how poorly our leadership treated its employees, I realized how I didn't want to be a worker bee treated like crap, but wanted to be a leader who could encourage change and improve morale amongst people that I work with. Hence, Strategy and Leadership.

Where: Simple. I moved to Atlanta for my soon to be wife and fell in love with the city. I wanted to go to the top school in the Southeast because this is where I want to live. Well, the top schools to me were Duke, UNC, and Emory. Emory was my number one because of location, and their stress on leadership and community, which I really liked. Also, I didn't really want to move, so UNC fell first, then Duke second. I only applied to Emory. The only other place I considered was Georgia Tech, but never seriously.

The decision: Simple, again. I only applied to one school. I had done a ton of research on Emory. Visited campus a couple of times. Sat in on classes. Visited with alumni and current students. I loved it there. I got my admit on December 10th, 2007. Without a doubt I will be going to Emory and I will champion their program all the way.

Summary: I guess their wasn't much evolution in my decision making process. When I made up my mind I wanted an MBA, Emory was my top choice then and still is. I never would have even thought of other programs had I not feared putting all my eggs in one basket. Once I got over that fear, and knew I put together a good application, I stuck with my guns and never doubted myself. I guess you can call me the Sniper of the '08 applicants.

this might be a little besides the topic but i need help
I read this post about the app. process and there are striking similarities about what im going through at this point. I am a petroleum engineer working in a petrochem. company plagued by management problems and an overall lack of competent leadership. I have been working with this company straight out college for the past 4 years. Now here is where my confusion arises and i was hoping that talking to you guys would put things into perspective.

I do not want this company to go heads up, and i want to be in a position to do something about it "BUT" its the how thats getting me. I don't seem to have a clear plan. I wanna do an MBA thats for sure. the degree is gonna equip me with the tools to make sure im not in a situation where in i know the problems and, in part ,some of the solutions but cant do anything about it. That said, i thought about management consulting, (consultants = "fixer-uppers") and it ties in closely with my engineering background (i.e problem solving/debottelnecking) but as said in the above post, i dont wanna be a worker bee forever. I wanna leave my mark on the organization i work for and/or start something of my own

so you see i am throughly divided as to how i wanna proceed. and im confused bout which schools to apply for cuz i dont even know what i wanna do after i graduate (consulting? if so why? just cuz of the engineering background? doesnt sound concrete to me, dont even wanna imagin what the ad com is gonna think bout it) a little guidance from you guys would go miles in helping me to gain a clearer picture bout what i wanna do.
Thanks
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 20:22
I think you bring up a good point, but a point that only you can answer. Plenty of people are struggling to answer why MBA. If I were you, I'd start to really think about the different jobs that attract recruiters to top b-schools, and they are consulting, ibanking, and brand management. Sure, there are plenty of other fields, but really think about what you want to do in the long-run. Most people do MC for a couple of years, then move on to some sort of corporate job (due to various reasons). Start to read about the lifestyle, the culture, the job, and the whole atmosphere for all the different jobs, and think about what will fit you more appropriately. Do you have a family to take care of where you should go home every night? If so, MC is probably not the best job for you. Are you interested in doing 80 hours of work (ibanking) or 50-60 hours of work (brand management)? There are all sorts of things that you should consider and then use your surroundings and your personality to really ask yourself whether it'll work. Once you have a certain type of job that you want to do in mind, then you can start to think about your MBA because this MBA is (supposedly) the ticket to your next career.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 12:52
Wow, glad to see this one pop up...its a great thread to show people just prepping for applications that they aren't 3 years behind the curve in terms of prepping for getting an MBA. Funny to think I started this thread 3.5 years ago. Time flies when you are having fun.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 9

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 13:42
How has your B-school plan evolved? When did you decide to pursue this, what were you goals and have those changed, and of course the rotating decision on what schools and which is your top?

When:

I’ve always known I wanted an MBA on my c.v., for numerous reasons. The reasons I had going into the process were actually different from the ones I have now, actually. I guess in a sense it can be compared to the kid who wants to go into IB to make money who later, as a VP/MD, tells other young hopefuls that they shouldn’t think about money when considering IB as a career… Anyway… I’m an “international”, and hailing from a country where there has been massive inflation in graduate degrees, I knew I’d have to get one myself if I were to stay competitive among my countrymen, regardless of how good my undergraduate degree was. Another aspect contributing to my wanting an MBA was just that; my undergraduate degree. It is from a good school, but it bears some stigma of a party school with kids whose parents are well connected and can get them jobs. Which, alas, wasn’t the case for me. Those were the most compelling reasons going into the process. Then, after what sorely felt like eternities researching schools and programs, the academics and the job placements of these schools, my rationale changed a bit. For the better. I realized that they actually teach you stuff that is useful. In business. In life. You know, stuff you’d want if you want to be in business. Or have perspective on life. At least that’s what I took away from all the ‘academics’ links I pressed later in the process (in the beginning, I had just pressed ‘admissions’, ‘student profiles’ and ‘employment reports’). What actually made me look into the possibility of an MBA, however, was when things started to sour a bit at work. It was a bit over a year ago, I think. The markets my company operates in are kind of shit and after two LBOs, the remnants of the company no longer embody the culture it once had – regardless of how many times my manager will say it does. When asked how he’d feel about an MBA for me, he told me that was something we could “start to think about in 5-6 years time”. Right. I decided to take the GMAT and get the show on the road myself, and just pay for it without his help.

As committed as I was back then, I did do a poor job of defending the $1,500 investment in the Kaplan course I had signed up for, and scored a low 600’s GMAT on my first take. Realizing it was top10 or bust for me, I got my sh!t together and committed fully to a mnhtn gmat course, and scored 700.

Where:

I began the school search, speaking with friends from my country that had attended some of the schools I was looking at. I started with HBS, since I was – and to some extent still am – a naïve prick. Of course I’d have to add Wharton to the list, as I had a few friends that had attended. My HBS friend told me about Tuck, which I’d never even heard of (…), and I also checked out Columbia. Duke was added to the list, as was YSOM and MIT. Clearly, they are all quite different programs, so you can see the criteria for selection was somewhat unclear.

I fell in love with Tuck, and Columbia as well. Went to Tuck summer visit day, signed up for diversity conference and had my interview there etc. Same for Columbia, really. H/W I applied to as well, and the applications were sound – but no real drive and I think it was pretty obvious I had just applied because of their names. It was different with Columbia and Tuck, though. I was fortunate to have friends that had attended all the programs above, so I received first hand experiences.

As I matured through the process, I became very giddy at the prospect of actually learning “stuff”, being immersed in a diverse environment with people from different cultures and backgrounds. I didn’t care much whether it’d be 250 kids in Hanover or 900 in Morningside Heights.

What Now:

I was accepted to Columbia (ED), and it couldn’t have come at a better time. It took the stress off my shoulders, and I could finally start to relax a bit after intense preparations. I never received interview invites to H/W, and I must say that while OF COURSE anyone would have issues turning down either those schools, I honestly wasn’t let down by the fact I didn’t make it through there. I still haven’t heard from Tuck, but I have since been back and forth to Morningside Heights, met students, spent time on campus, etc – and am exstatic about attending Columbia. I’ve wired them my deposit, and for me to disregard all those things, I think Tuck would have to show my a pretty sweet financial aid package. Which I don’t think will happen, and on some/many level/s I hope doesn’t happen. In fact, I kind of hope I get dinged there. Regardless, I’m off to school.

I should mention that Gmatclub has been a tremendous resource through the entire ordeal, and that I am grateful for the contributions so many of the members make on this board.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 159

Kudos [?]: 827 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 00:49
Pretty Good thread that need more updates !!

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 06:46
gurpreetsingh wrote:
Pretty Good thread that need more updates !!

Agreed, nice bump and sticky IMO, when I first came across this thread early in my process, it was extremely inspiring. I'll put a post together once my story is complete
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
Schools: Darden '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 11:02
terry12 wrote:
I nearly threw my computer at a wall during Stanford's essays

Good story, but especially for this line. The 'What matters to you most?' essay? Oy. Though I will say after figuring out honest answers to all Stanford's questions in round 1 I was WAY better prepared for the other questions in round 2. It forced me to do a lot of soul searching.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 16:24
aerien wrote:
Yale SOM

Congrats on making your decision. Good luck in New Haven!
HBS Thread Master
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 3.7
WE: Other (Education)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 25

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 11:20
zaffro13 wrote:

-Hire a consultant for at least one school. They will help you execute your goals and the Why X school?. These are vital questions to answer properly.
Full disclosue: I never hired a consultant but got a Ding Analysis done and it helped me drastically improve my applications.

I applied to only Duke and Darden for Fall 2012 and got dinged, was thinking about ding analysis, can you expand a little more on why it was helpful and how it helped you improve?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 02:16
Quote:
I don’t want to be you. I’ll be friends with you, but we are different people, from a different mold.

i very much appreciate this attitude esp. for such a major decision.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 17:12
My journey towards applying for MBA programs over 2012-2013 application period was what I will dub as the 3 hr MBA app. The approach I took was a steady one that was focused on progressing and learning each week.

Through the course of the year I got accepted into some of my top choices including Cornell, Berkeley, and Carnegie Mellon. I also got waitlisted or rejected from other top choices such as Dartmouth and Yale.

Overall, I document my year long journey here on my weebly blog 3hrMBAapp.weebly. It just provides one more perspective for those applying to MBA programs. Have fun!
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '15

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2014, 08:08
These are all awesome replies, it's nice for anyone starting the process to see how what the end looks like for other people. It's also great to hear other's perspectives on schools and the application process. This is definitely a thread that needs more posts! Can't wait to post mine when I am at the end of this process!!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.07
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2014, 09:37
It is really great to see how people back 5-6 years ago were so doubtful at first, but in the end all got to great schools and exceeded their own expectations... a great motivator for us who are just beginning!
Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2014, 09:37