Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The evolution of your B-school pursuit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 06:22
Thanks for the clarification togafoot,helg,terry12,kwam. You are so much better than books. Kudos to you all. I love this forum for what I can learn and more than that users willingness to help others.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 14

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2008, 08:10
Thank you kwam for the great post! Can't wait to see you get into MIT and Stanford! Complete the GMATClub quest for us! :)

kwam and terry12 said it best, though one addendum I want to add is you *can* boost the school's ego a little bit by saying a sentence like "The Wharton School is the ideal place where my background and my vision can fuse to bring about my MBA dream." or "And the strong emphasis on general management fundamentals will provide me with the excellent foundation for my future professional growth."

BUT

you need to add 1-2 more sentences on specifics of what you mean. For example "Why is the Wharton School an ideal place for your background?" "How does it fuse into your MBA goals?" Talk about some clubs, some classes you visited, some program you know that Wharton has which will show that the place is ideal. Key phrase, "SHOW, DON'T TELL".

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 00:28
Columbia08 wrote:
Lol this was so great I had to add my version...

Very nice story. Do you plan a Healthcare Major at Wharton? I think it is terrific program.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 13:04
helg wrote:
Columbia08 wrote:
Lol this was so great I had to add my version...

Very nice story. Do you plan a Healthcare Major at Wharton? I think it is terrific program.

Actually Helg, I want to go into Investment Research with a focus on the healthcare sector. I believe my experience will play a great role in my success on this path.

Last edited by Columbia08 on 22 Jan 2008, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2008, 14:54
Steel..First of all, welcome to GMATClub. Its like a family riding you through MBA pains (not that you need it)

You should share your stats n story in the Member Profile section
VP
VP

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2008, 22:07
pandeyrav wrote:
I haven't been accepted anywhere yet but a journey is a journey even if you haven't reached the destination. So here goes my story.

When: I first heard of MBA when i was studying in my UG Engineering school. I remember thinking that i would want to do an MBA some day. But getting a job was important which i did and once i got into the midst of action, i quickly forgot about B-School. In 2004-2005 i came to the US for the first time and came to know about all the great B-schools we have here. My desire of getting business education reared its head back again. I promptly bought some books and prepared a study plan. But before i could start anything, i had to rush back to India as my mother-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer. B-school plans were shelved and to make matters worse, i could not return back to states in time to extend my visa. After taking a few months to get over the loss, i started thinking about my b-school plans again, but had to quickly give up as my marriage was on rocks. I came back to states in 2006 but was too preoccupied with personal matters to think of b-school. In october 2007, when we finally filed for divorce, i decided to do something positive and go for my MBA instead of sulking around in grief and despair. I took GMAT appointment for the first week of Nov which was 10 days away, prepped a bit and scored a 730. Although i knew i could do better than this, i decided to start working on apps rather than retake GMAT and apply next year.

What: I want to get into startegy and then eventually M & A from startegy and integration perspectives.

Where: This is where i had the biggest problem. I am a very adjusting person. i have no problem adapting to a new place or people. that is what i have done all my life. I did not have much time to research schools and attended receptions in my city for as many schools as i could. From general perception, school websites, rankings etc, i zeroed in on Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Tuck and Chicago. Due to lack of time, i left out Harvard and Stanford as the probability of getting in there is too low anyway. I could not finish my Tuck app in time and gave up on it as i did not want to submit a bad application. Although i could have waited until next year to apply, I applied this year as by next year my Work Ex would have gone to over 7.5 years which would be on the higher end of school averages, although i am only 28 years old and hence definitely not old. Oh, by the way, i also applied to ISB in under 4 hours and luckily got an interview invite from them. I would not go to ISB unless all my US B-Schools ding me.

The decision: If i were to get admits from all schools i have applied to, the order of my preference would be: Kellogg, Wharton, Ross, Chicago. If a school offered me good $$$, i would surely take it over others.

Great story, pandeyrav. It demonstrates your spirit. I am rooting for you, man!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 07:49
helg wrote:

Thanks helg. I just wish i have something good to show when all this is over.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2008, 18:19
pandeyrav wrote:
helg wrote:

Thanks helg. I just wish i have something good to show when all this is over.

Inspiring story!! Am sure you will end up at your top choice. Chicago interview is just the beginning.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 21:21
How has your B-school plan evolved? When did you decide to pursue this, what were you goals and have those changed, and of course the rotating decision on what schools and which is your top?

Note: I'm applying for 2009

When: I knew as soon as I graduated undergrad I wanted to get my MBA. I slacked off a bit in college but still graduated with a decent GPA. I always wanted to do Investment banking after college, but due to my GPA I didn't get any offers. Plus I didn't know what it took to get there at the time. I didn't realize the commitment or effort required, call me naive. After attending two Super Saturdays in investment banking and getting 0 offers, I knew I would have one more shot starting as an associate after an MBA. I tried my best to align my career path with my eventual goal, currently working in Strategic Planning and doing buyside M&A. So I've been looking for the right time to go back to school and I feel Fall 2009 is it.

Where: So it's February 2008 and I know the first thing I need to take is the GMAT and then I can begin to narrow down my list of schools. I've been taking practice tests and studying hard. Test have been in the 660-720 range and my current list of schools is UCLA, USC, Rice, Emory, Texas, UNC, Duke, Kellogg, and NYU.

Schedule: I have already visited Rice and it was ok, I plan to visit Duke, UNC, Emory in March and Texas and NYU in April. Next fall I'll be going to USC and UCLA. And hopefully Kellogg in the Fall as well. I am taking the GMAT in June and will know more then. Also, I'm adding more EC activities now as you can never have enough with leadership on your resume. I know where my weaknesses are and I plan on correcting them between now and my first app.

Hope this helps anyone making the decision. I will keep this post updated as I go along.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2008, 22:09
Great story man ! Good luck....I am sure your hard-work will reap rewards.
pandeyrav wrote:
I haven't been accepted anywhere yet but a journey is a journey even if you haven't reached the destination. So here goes my story.

http://mba2010dreams.blogspot.com

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 14:42
Addendum to my story: I finally bit the bullet, took the GMAT, got a killer score, and now I'm full steam ahead for this B-school thing! 8-)

Bring it on! :twisted:

(Applying in the fall)

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 15:36
congrats rca! hopefully we can help you get into your dream schools! :)

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 5

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2008, 17:57
RCA you have a huge advantage to be starting so early. My advice visit some schools this spring. You wont be as rushed this fall.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 29 Feb 2008, 07:07
Thanks kryzak and riverripper!

I've already set up a visit day at MIT and I'll be doing the same for HBS in a few weeks (they only schedule one month in advance and I need to go in April) . Kellogg seems to offer more in the summer, so I'll hopefully get a chance to fly out there for a long weekend. Maybe I'll see if I can do an interview while I'm out there. I'm not sure yet if they let you get your interview in pre-application.

The craziest thing I'm doing is already starting to structure my essays and I'm compiling lists of experiences relevant to last year's essay questions at my target schools. They also may be helpful for interviews. I've got a recurring email I send to myself whenever I get an idea for something good to add! :lol:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

VP
VP

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 22:11
FairPlay, I really-really wonder, what do your essays look like? :wink: Great post! Kudos to you. And, have you been admitted to the LBS already?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2008, 11:35
Impressive story, Fairplay. kudos to your parents for forcing you take the GMAT (who does that these days? )
I hope you will get into your dream school. :-D
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 11:14
Update: Accepted into LBS!

(a bit of a relief since it's the only MBA school I applied to and a now expired GMAT score!)

If I'm allowed into the essays vault, I'll preserve my essays there for future posterity.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 13:26
Congrats FairPlay! Really great story. I plan to do an exchange program in Europe (program TBD)
VP
VP

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 22:18
FairPlay wrote:
Update: Accepted into LBS!

(a bit of a relief since it's the only MBA school I applied to and a now expired GMAT score!)

If I'm allowed into the essays vault, I'll preserve my essays there for future posterity.

Congrats, FairPlay!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2008, 22:40
congrats Fairplay!

PM Praetorian and tell him you will contribute your essays to the vault and he may let you in.

Haas Ambassador
Kryzak's Profile:
Member Essays:

Re: The evolution of your B-school pursuit   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2008, 22:40