Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The excuse for not voting that is most commonly given by

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 0

The excuse for not voting that is most commonly given by [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2004, 12:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The excuse for not voting that is most commonly given by citizens is that the two major political parties do not offer competent candidates or meaningful policies and positions. The nonvoting citizen believes that by expressing dissatisfaction as a consumer in the political process by not casting his or her ballot, the parties will put forward better candidates and positions. But this misconceives the role of voter as that of consumer. In the marketplace, defection to another product or failure to purchase a product sends a powerful message that results in change, improvement, and innovation. But not voting in the political process will not produce a smorgasbord, but rather, will result in a menu with a single entree and two side dishes.

1- The author does NOT address which of the following?
A) the results from people not participating in the electoral process
B) consequences of a consumer's refusal to purchase a product
C) how citizens can effectively express dissatisfaction with the two major political parties
D) why many citizens refuse to vote
E) differences between the role of the voter and that of the consumer

2- The author attempts to make her point by
A) constructing a simile
B) discrediting an analogy
C) making a circular argument
D) offering a unique hypothesis
E) presenting new evidence
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2003
Posts: 1816
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2004, 12:19
C. The Author touched all points except C.

B. He tries to use the principle of analogy but proves that it fails in this case
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 971
Location: Florida
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Political parties - 2 questions [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2004, 19:08
Paul wrote:
1- The author does NOT address which of the following?
A) the results from people not participating in the electoral process
B) consequences of a consumer's refusal to purchase a product
C) how citizens can effectively express dissatisfaction with the two major political parties
D) why many citizens refuse to vote
E) differences between the role of the voter and that of the consumer


C.
Quote:
2- The author attempts to make her point by
A) constructing a simile
B) discrediting an analogy
C) making a circular argument
D) offering a unique hypothesis
E) presenting new evidence


A seems good. camparing a consumer to a voter.
author tells an analogy but don't discredit it (I guess)..not B

anyway, I liked the word smorgasbord. Scandinavian huh!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Jun 2004
Posts: 33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2004, 22:44
The answer for the first One is "C" and for the second one , I'd choose "B" 'cos the author presents an analogy of sorts to indicate that the consumer gets what she wants but not the voter.

By doing this, the author tries to discredit the analogy.

Let me know if I did not sound convincing enuff.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2004, 00:58
IMO
E (C, is mentioned in the passage, Voter expresses himself against parties by not voting, while (E) I think is not clearly mentioned in the passage)
A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Posts: 394
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Political parties - 2 questions [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2004, 01:44
I think the correct answers are

1- C (There is no mention of "effective" expression of dissatisfaction in the argument)

2- B (Here, the comparison is discredited saying saying that it does not work in the realm of voting)

What are the OA's?


Paul wrote:
The excuse for not voting that is most commonly given by citizens is that the two major political parties do not offer competent candidates or meaningful policies and positions. The nonvoting citizen believes that by expressing dissatisfaction as a consumer in the political process by not casting his or her ballot, the parties will put forward better candidates and positions. But this misconceives the role of voter as that of consumer. In the marketplace, defection to another product or failure to purchase a product sends a powerful message that results in change, improvement, and innovation. But not voting in the political process will not produce a smorgasbord, but rather, will result in a menu with a single entree and two side dishes.

1- The author does NOT address which of the following?
A) the results from people not participating in the electoral process
B) consequences of a consumer's refusal to purchase a product
C) how citizens can effectively express dissatisfaction with the two major political parties
D) why many citizens refuse to vote
E) differences between the role of the voter and that of the consumer

2- The author attempts to make her point by
A) constructing a simile
B) discrediting an analogy
C) making a circular argument
D) offering a unique hypothesis
E) presenting new evidence

_________________

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2004, 03:41
for 1) I see the point! I missed the word "effectively" in option (C), I guess (C) is better, but can one help me out in refuting (E).
2) Ya! after re-reading the passage (B) sounds good. :wall
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Jun 2004
Posts: 394
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2004, 05:08
This part of the passage refutes E

"But this misconceives the role of voter as that of consumer. In the marketplace, defection to another product or failure to purchase a product sends a powerful message that results in change, improvement, and innovation. But not voting in the political process will not produce a smorgasbord, but rather, will result in a menu with a single entree and two side dishes."

It clearly states that there is misconception of the role of voter as that of consumer. If a customer rejects a product by buying another product or by not buying the defective product, it results in change of the product on the better side. However, if a voter rejects voting, it results in changes on the worse side. If I understand the analogy correctly, it means that we get a government with no clear majority for any party, whcih leads to chaos.

Any other views??


mba wrote:
for 1) I see the point! I missed the word "effectively" in option (C), I guess (C) is better, but can one help me out in refuting (E).
2) Ya! after re-reading the passage (B) sounds good. :wall

_________________

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

  [#permalink] 01 Jul 2004, 05:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic In numerous political accounts, the definition most commonly goodyear2013 6 22 Jun 2014, 09:30
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic The world's most commonly cultivated tetraploid potato goodyear2013 2 17 Jun 2014, 09:09
Experts publish their posts in the topic Most Effective RC Strategy - Please Vote smodak 4 30 Jun 2011, 17:36
Most interesting recommender excuses Jivana 6 13 Jan 2010, 20:18
voting ritula 5 08 Feb 2009, 23:01
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The excuse for not voting that is most commonly given by

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.