Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 02-16-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 11:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

48% (01:28) correct 52% (00:31) wrong based on 86 sessions
18. The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the concert line all night by the time the tickets go on sale.

a) have been waiting in the concert line all night
b) will have been waiting in the concert line each night
c) will have been waiting in the concert line the entire night
d) had been waiting in the concert line all night
e) has been waiting in the concert line the whole night

Dear visitors, please tell me why the answer choose E cannot be used here. Many thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 100 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verb tense: Will have been waiting / Has been waiting [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 13:58
This post received
KUDOS
The correct answer is C here.

Reason:

Consider tense and tone of given sentence. It tells that by the time tickets go on sale, girls will have been already spent entire night in the queue.

a) have been waiting in the concert line all night >> no will, wrong tense
b) will have been waiting in the concert line each night >> each night, wrong
c) will have been waiting in the concert line the entire night >> correct
d) had been waiting in the concert line all night >> had?, wrong tense
e) has been waiting in the concert line the whole night >> wrong tense
Manager
Manager
Status: exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Verb tense: Will have been waiting / Has been waiting [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 07:47
just compare the sentences ...

group of girls has done a thing..

group of girls have done a thing..

if you are still not able to recognise the difference

the singular plural thing just go through the basics..

i made it just by going through the sentence,,,

just one more month for exam...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Verb tense: Will have been waiting / Has been waiting [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 08:47
mohan514 wrote:

if you are still not able to recognise the difference

the singular plural thing just go through the basics..

I don't think that marus had doubt about singular-plural form of verb.

Read the original question again

Quote:
Dear visitors, please tell me why the answer choose E cannot be used here. Many thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1191

Kudos [?]: 3186 [1] , given: 179

Re: Verb tense: Will have been waiting / Has been waiting [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 10:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,

@marus: This sentence needs careful reading. Read the portion “by the time tickets go on sale.” This suggests a future action. We know that the tickets are not up for sale yet. They will be sold some time in the future.

This understanding helps us in eliminating choice E as it is written in the present perfect tense and hence leads to inconsistency in tense in the sentence.

With choice E, the sentence reads: The fanatical, young group of girls has been waiting in the concert line the whole night by the time the tickets go on sale.
The present perfect tense “has been waiting” denotes an action that has already begun in some time in the past and is continuing in the present as well. It renders the sense that the group of girls has already begun to wait in the line for the tickets which will be sold sometime in the future. This is not the logical intended meaning of the sentence.
The logical intended meaning of the sentence is that By the time the tickets will be up for sale, these girls will have been waiting in the line already.

Take this example: By the time Joe appears for the exam, he will have been completely prepared. The sense of the sentence is that by the time Joe will appear for the exam, he will be completely prepared.
However, we do not if he is completely prepared in the present or not. The sentence says nothing about the present. It talks about a situation that is yet to happen.

We cannot say: By the time Joe appears for the exam, he has been completely prepared. “has been prepared” suggests that Joe is already prepared in the present and it does not relate to the event that will take place in the future, i. e. appearing for the exam.

In the very same way, the original sentence is also talking about a situation that is yet to happen. Hence we must use future tense to correspond the related event with that future event only. Again, understanding the intended logical meaning of the sentence is the key here to use the correct verb tense knowledge.

Choice C correctly conveys the logical intended meaning of the sentence: The fanatical, young group of girls will have been waiting in the concert line the entire night by the time the tickets go on sale. This choice clearly says that by the time the tickets will be up for sale, the girls will already be standing in the line from the previous night.
Say for example if the tickets will be sold on February 3, the girls will already have been standing in the line from the night of February 2.

Hope this helps.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

VP
VP
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2014, 16:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1264

CAT Tests
The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 14:49
Picked E.
Eliminated ABC based on SVA. Eliminated D, because there was not another past tense verb in the sentence to merit the use of past perfect. E didn't really make sense, so I was not surprised to have missed it. According to the following grammar site, singular nouns can use the future perfect construction "will have", so BC can't be eliminated based on SVA
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/futureperfect.html
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2014, 00:46
The correct answer is actually C here. Not sure why you eliminated C on the basis of SVA. This sentence uses "will have been waiting", which I think is future perfect continuous. Oh boy..I thought these kind of tenses are not tested on GMAT. Can some expert help.
Re: The fanatical, young group of girls have been waiting in the   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2014, 00:46