The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit : GMAT Sentence Correction (SC)
Check GMAT Club App Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases http://gmatclub.com/AppTrack

It is currently 09 Dec 2016, 16:24
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3640
Followers: 1249

Kudos [?]: 5659 [0], given: 60

The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 10:59
Expert's post
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

65% (01:53) correct 35% (01:07) wrong based on 267 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise directly to the physicians.
(A) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise
(B) both to prohibit individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies while forbidding the companies to advertise
(C) to both prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and also to forbid the companies from advertising
(D) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies as well as to forbid the companies from advertising
(E) to prohibit both individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies from advertising


For a full discussion of these idioms and this question, see:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/verbs-that ... -the-gmat/
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Request Expert Reply
If you have any questions
you can ask an expert
New!
Magoosh Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Been a long time guys...
Joined: 03 Feb 2011
Posts: 1420
Location: United States (NY)
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 1303 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 20:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
An easy A.
Basically the question about Idioms and I really doubt whether these types of questions are still asked in test.
Prohibit X from Y.
Forbid x to y.
"and also" is redundant.
_________________

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2012
Posts: 21
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 01-16-2013
GPA: 3.37
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 6

Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2012, 22:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
Answer: A
Follow the idioms
Prohibit: from
Forbid: to

__________________________________
Lets Kudos ;)
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 04 Oct 2011
Posts: 224
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 44

Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2012, 02:53
+1 A

I selected this based on idiom BOTH x AND y

is this correct elimination ??
_________________

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 13
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 88

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2012, 03:13
There are 2 Idioms on this questions:

1. Both X & Y (which eliminates B & D)
2. Prohibit X from Y (which eliminates C & E)

Answer is A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2013
Posts: 295
Location: India
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 130

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 03:08
I am not good with idioms so spotted the mistakes of words used in the options.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
_________________

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Student for Life ( Oxford MBA)

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3640
Followers: 1249

Kudos [?]: 5659 [1] , given: 60

Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2013, 08:23
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
farhanc85 wrote:
I am not good with idioms so spotted the mistakes of words used in the options.

Dear farhanc85

Here's a free resource to help you with idioms:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10444
Followers: 886

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 02:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Location: India
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
WE: Analyst (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 29

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2016, 03:10
Straight A

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Selective parralelism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 08:34
Please help me, I am so frustrated with this section. I feel like it's all arbitrary sometimes. The correct answer is A and I chose C. I understand the idiomatic expression "both X and Y" is correct which is one of the issues with C. My bigger problem is how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? Also as a side note: How come these words can stay in the infinitive form? I thought the Gmat dislikes the infinitive



The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise directly to the physicians.

(A) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise


(B) both to prohibit individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies while forbidding the companies to advertise


(C) to both prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and also to forbid the companies from advertising


(D) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies as well as to forbid the companies from advertising


(E) to prohibit both individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies from advertising
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 26 Nov 2012
Posts: 541
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 41

Premium Member CAT Tests
Selective parralelism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 10:38
sislam04 wrote:
Please help me, I am so frustrated with this section. I feel like it's all arbitrary sometimes. The correct answer is A and I chose C. I understand the idiomatic expression "both X and Y" is correct which is one of the issues with C. My bigger problem is how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? Also as a side note: How come these words can stay in the infinitive form? I thought the Gmat dislikes the infinitive



The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise directly to the physicians.

(A) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise


(B) both to prohibit individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies while forbidding the companies to advertise


(C) to both prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and also to forbid the companies from advertising


(D) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies as well as to forbid the companies from advertising


(E) to prohibit both individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies from advertising



When read the sentence you need to check whether idioms are used properly.

In our case idioms used are prohibit... and forbid...

Prohibit FROM -- Correct idiom
Forbid TO - Correct idiom


Now check which options have these...

Only option A has this...

Hope this clears the clouds...
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2014
Posts: 3
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V27
GPA: 2.5
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 19

CAT Tests
Re: Selective parralelism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 11:01
In this question FDA enacted recent restrictions and these restrictions are for some purpose so we will ask question what is the purpose of these restrictions..

We got 2 i.e. To Prohibit ...... And 2nd one is To forbid .....

So whenever we see some action with purpose we use infinitive of purpose to + verb.

Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 06 Sep 2016
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Selective parralelism [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2016, 13:31
msk0657 wrote:
sislam04 wrote:
Please help me, I am so frustrated with this section. I feel like it's all arbitrary sometimes. The correct answer is A and I chose C. I understand the idiomatic expression "both X and Y" is correct which is one of the issues with C. My bigger problem is how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? Also as a side note: How come these words can stay in the infinitive form? I thought the Gmat dislikes the infinitive



The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise directly to the physicians.

(A) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise


(B) both to prohibit individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies while forbidding the companies to advertise


(C) to both prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and also to forbid the companies from advertising


(D) both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies as well as to forbid the companies from advertising


(E) to prohibit both individual physicians to form financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies from advertising



When read the sentence you need to check whether idioms are used properly.

In our case idioms used are prohibit... and forbid...

Prohibit FROM -- Correct idiom
Forbid TO - Correct idiom


Now check which options have these...

Only option A has this...

Hope this clears the clouds...



I was asking specifically about the parallelism how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? I understand the idiomatic portion
Expert Post
Verbal Expert
User avatar
Joined: 14 Dec 2013
Posts: 1962
Location: Germany
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
Followers: 305

Kudos [?]: 1270 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 09:05
sislam04 wrote:


I was asking specifically about the parallelism how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? I understand the idiomatic portion


Th parrallel elements are "to prohibit" and " to forbid" - the parallelism structure does not have anything to do with the rest - "from forming" and "to advertise" has no bearing with the parallelism - appropriate prepositions and forms has to be used as necessary.

Would you say there is a parallelism error in the following sentence?

I love to play with my sister, sing in the rain and walk alone..... does the question arise why "with my sister", "in the rain" and "alone" are not parallel?
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 3640
Followers: 1249

Kudos [?]: 5659 [0], given: 60

Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2016, 15:41
sislam04 wrote:
I was asking specifically about the parallelism how come in terms of parallelism how come "to prohibit" and "to forbid" are parallel but "forming" and "advertise" don't have to be parallel? I understand the idiomatic portion

Dear sislam04,

I'm happy to respond to your question. :-) I see that sayantanc2k replied, but I want to take a slightly broader view.

Students have a few typical misconceptions about parallelism. Fundamentally, students conceive of parallelism primarily as a grammatical structure. It is not. Parallelism is primarily a logical structure, and the matching grammar merely mirrors the underlying logic. Following this misconception, students mistakenly believe that parallelism means that the two branches have to be lockstep precision, matching down to the last detail. That's absurd. There only has to be enough grammatical matching to make the logical pattern clear.

Here's the OA of the question that I wrote:
The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit individual physicians from forming financial partnerships with pharmaceutical companies and to forbid the companies to advertise directly to the physicians.

How much has to match in parallelism? Only enough to make the logical pattern clear. The FDA had two purposes in enacting these restrictions, to prohibit something and to forbid something. These are both expressed as infinitives of purpose. Those two are in parallel, so they have to match, and they do: both are infinitives: "both to prohibit . . . and to forbid . . . " That's the parallelism, right there, between those two infinitives. That's it.

What happens after that high level matching is 100% irrelevant to the parallelism. Once the logical pattern of matching is established, the job of parallelism has been fulfilled, and it places no more requirements on the sentence.

More importantly, within the two infinitive clauses, we have to follow the rules of idioms. The verb "prohibit" idiomatically takes from + [gerund]. The verb "forbid" idiomatically takes the infinitive. When I designed this question, I specifically chose two verbs that would have two different idioms. For more help on idioms, see the free GMAT idiom flashcards. The requirements of parallelism never never never supersede the rules of idiom.

You see, two verbs in parallel could have different tenses, or one could be active and one passive, or one have a long modifying clause and the other not. It doesn't matter. Parallelism is not a mathematical pattern that forces every single element into a precise Procrustean pattern. Parallelism is a logical pattern, and the matching grammar need only make clear the logic, no more.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Re: The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2016, 15:41
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 According to a recently enacted law, any organization that engages in Abhishek009 1 17 Oct 2016, 10:19
Experts publish their posts in the topic Federal laws promulgated by the FDA banning cancer-causing Gnpth 2 28 Jul 2014, 09:21
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Usage of Idioms Prohibits/Forbids nipun1987 4 03 Aug 2012, 22:32
Federal laws promulgated by the FDA banning cancer-causing saxenashobhit 2 26 Dec 2010, 07:13
The pharmaceutical company must report to the FDA the number rprabhu2001 6 14 Nov 2008, 21:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The FDA enacted these recent restrictions both to prohibit

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.