Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 22:09
I have only one reason to say that B is wrong

=> According to MGMAT, Present perfect tense is for action that started in the past but continue into the present or the action that might be over but its effect is relevant to the present.

Here in option B, "have appeared" should be just "appeared" because "have recovered" is happening now. We cannot have "have recovered" while "have appeared" action is still continuing.

So I recommend action A

nusmavrik wrote:
2 reasons I feel A is wrong

1. Fear is well founded. Its based upon the past.
2. (A) few people are known to recover from the disease ---> You must exclude the people who have the symptoms now and still recovering – to make such a statement.

people are sampled from the past not the present. "have recovered from the disease" looks alright.

sjayasa wrote:
Hi serhio,
Can you please clarify? I think it is A, too. But I am not very sure why B is incorrect.

In option A, "..to recover" seems correct because it is a fact and is still true. The usage of "...to have recovered" in option B seems to refer to events in the past.
Also in B, "once" is used rather than "after" (I read somewhere that "after" is preferable). Additionally, "have appeared" should be simple past "appeared".
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 16:51
between A and B....both look tempting

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2011, 16:55
B is the best answer. after semicolon there should be a complete sentence
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 09-16-2013

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 07:51
B seems to be the answer as it follows parallelism. Answer choice C would be the next best choice but "there" makes the sentence awkward. Amazing how a few words can throw off the whole meaning of a sentence!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 10:31
I narrowed it down to A and B:
C and D talk about a specific known group of people
E leaves a feeling that recovery is possible but we know only about several such outcomes

The use of a present tense in A makes the action (recovery) incomplete hence B is the right answer. I couldn't immediately single out B because the use of two present perfect verbs makes me uneasy.
VP
VP
Followers: 204

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to [#permalink] New post 29 May 2014, 06:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1096 [0], given: 118

Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2014, 23:56
dixitraghav wrote:
The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Tough and good question, IMO.

Before attack this question, there are some basic grammars we need to call in mind.

GRAMMARS:

1. FEW vs. A FEW?
- Few = not enough
- A few = small number

2. IDIOM: Known people OR people are know to ......
- Correct one is: "known to do something............."

3. The rule of thumb: V-A-N
- Verb > Adjective > Noun.
GMAT prefers the order Verb (no 1), Adjective (no 2) and Noun (no 3). If you can use verb, use it instead of adjective or noun.

ANSWER:

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
Wrong. The structure is not as good as in B because (1) "the appearance" is noun form, thus it does not convey good meaning as verb form - "appear" does; (2) B has parallelism structure: "have recovered"// "have appeared".

(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
Correct. As explained above.

(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
Wrong. We want to convey "a small number of people" NOT "not enough people", thus "few people" is absolutely wrong. The correct structure is "there are A FEW people".

(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
Wrong. Same error as in C. We have to add "a" before "few people".

(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear
Wrong. Awkward structure. E changes main subject from "people" to "recovery".

Hope my post helps you to remind some basic grammars and "favorite" rules of GMAT.

Enjoy!

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to   [#permalink] 02 Jun 2014, 23:56