Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 00:46
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

60% (01:38) correct 40% (00:44) wrong based on 610 sessions
The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 375 [3] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 03:47
This post received
KUDOS
2 reasons I feel A is wrong

1. Fear is well founded. Its based upon the past.
2. (A) few people are known to recover from the disease ---> You must exclude the people who have the symptoms now and still recovering – to make such a statement.

people are sampled from the past not the present. "have recovered from the disease" looks alright.

sjayasa wrote:
Hi serhio,
Can you please clarify? I think it is A, too. But I am not very sure why B is incorrect.

In option A, "..to recover" seems correct because it is a fact and is still true. The usage of "...to have recovered" in option B seems to refer to events in the past.
Also in B, "once" is used rather than "after" (I read somewhere that "after" is preferable). Additionally, "have appeared" should be simple past "appeared".

Please press kudos if you like my post.

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 445 [3] , given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
I am quoting from another source I found on a google search :

"I still feel B is the right choice. The sentence begins with a statement that the fear of rabies is well founded and the second part is trying to get evidence from past to substantiate why the fear if rabies is well founded - namely very few people are known to have recovered once the symptoms have fully appeared.

Option A makes it sound like there is a fixed set of people who are well known for their ability to recover from rabies (as if they do it multiple times just to prove their ability). e.g Spartans were known warriors.
Somehow the more i look at A, the more the message being conveyed by A gets unclear "

Other posts in the same forum claim that the OA is (b)

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 375 [2] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 01:38
This post received
KUDOS
Yep C is indeed a change of meaning.

sag wrote:
I was left between B or C as both should be Independent Clauses..

But C is having few known people which changes the meaning. So the Ans is B..

Please press kudos if you like my post.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:22
This post received
KUDOS
IMO "B"

a) changes the context when use "recover"

b. few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - "good"
c. there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared - here "known people" says the writer knows the pple who have recovered
d. after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease - ditto.
e. recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear - this stmt say "few pple know the recovery"
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
B is good answer. The semi colon there means new sentence and B can be a stand alone sentence

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 31 [1] , given: 2

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 17:22
This post received
KUDOS
IMO B

E says recovery from the disease is known FOR only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear..

doesnt this mean that the instances of recovery are known ABOUT few people and not TO few people..?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Fight till you succeed like a gladiator..or doom your life which can be invincible

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 00:58
I was left between B or C as both should be Independent Clauses..

But C is having few known people which changes the meaning. So the Ans is B..
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: Pharmaceutical industry 5 years, C level
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 02:03
no guys,

it is A - clear and consice
Manager
Manager
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 02:18
Hi serhio,
Can you please clarify? I think it is A, too. But I am not very sure why B is incorrect.

In option A, "..to recover" seems correct because it is a fact and is still true. The usage of "...to have recovered" in option B seems to refer to events in the past.
Also in B, "once" is used rather than "after" (I read somewhere that "after" is preferable). Additionally, "have appeared" should be simple past "appeared".
Retired Moderator
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 04:39
I think the answer should be B, does anyone have the OA ?

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 5

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 07:43
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I narrowed it down to (A) or (B) and went with (A) because (B) seems needlessly wordy and clunky.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 08:04
shrouded1 wrote:
I am quoting from another source I found on a google search :

"I still feel B is the right choice. The sentence begins with a statement that the fear of rabies is well founded and the second part is trying to get evidence from past to substantiate why the fear if rabies is well founded - namely very few people are known to have recovered once the symptoms have fully appeared.

Option A makes it sound like there is a fixed set of people who are well known for their ability to recover from rabies (as if they do it multiple times just to prove their ability). e.g Spartans were known warriors.
Somehow the more i look at A, the more the message being conveyed by A gets unclear "

Other posts in the same forum claim that the OA is (b)

+1 Kudos, I think the difference between A and B whether or not the past perfect should be used.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 112

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2010, 19:29
b ..

wonderfully explained by everybody !!
cheers
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 19:28
I agree with shrouded1's googled explanation. In A's "known to recover" seems to hold a present tense that describe the current abilities of a few people. But in B it seems clear that some have recovered from the disease in the past.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 06:58
B seems rite bt i think word 'only' shud be used to illustrate the intensity of fear which is done in option E...plz elaborate if i m wrong
Director
Director
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 09:22
dixitraghav wrote:
The fear of rabies is well founded; few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms.

(A) few people are known to recover from the disease after the appearance of the clinical symptoms
(B) few people are known to have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(C) there are few known people who have recovered from the disease once the clinical symptoms have appeared
(D) after the clinical symptoms appear, there are few known people who have recovered from the disease
(E) recovery from the disease is known for only a few people after the clinical symptoms appear

Ans. is B
See in A is the use of an infinitive ("to recover") implies that the event happened in the past, is happening in present, and it will happen in the future. But here the SC is talking about past events only, so "have recovered" is better.

C is awkward starting with there are.
D is also awkward.

E changes the logic. It says that only few people knows about the recovery, when it should say that there are few people who recovered.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 10:36
The best choice is B. The present perfect sense -- "Have appeared" and "Have recovered" make sense here because the recovery and and symptoms started in the past...but touch the present. This is best expressed with the present perfect tense.

Choice A seems to suggest that there is a "specific group" of people who are known to recover from the symptoms of rabies RATHER THAN suggest that some people have actually managed to recover and overcome the symptoms of rabies and will continue to do so in the future as well (Choice B). Also, we have an unspecific expression "once" in choice B...so "present perfect" tense. We also use the Present Perfect tense to talk about different actions that have occurred in the past at different times..Present Perfect suggests the process is not complete and more actions are possible..
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consulting - 5 Years

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2011, 11:07
B it is for me, I had narrowed it down to A and B and finally opted for B because 'known to recover' didn't seem right in the context of the sentence, but I couldn't nail down the exact issue. Shrouded has done an awesome job with the explanation!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 04:39
brilliant explanations, b sounds good..
Re: THE FEAR OF RABIES   [#permalink] 09 Jun 2011, 04:39