can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!
There you go.
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would
evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.
Since the meaning is pretty simple to understand, let’s proceed to the Error Analysis.ERROR ANALYSIS:
1. The federal rules were made to ensure two things:
• patients must be warned of potential risks, and
• an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted
The first entity is preceded by “that”, but the second one is not. We need before the second entity as well.
2. Use of “would evaluate” is correct because the main verb for this part of the sentence is written in simple past tense “was conducted”. Since the sentence is written in simple past tense, we must use past tense of “will” that is “would” here.
Now the entities in the list must be parallel. Since we have two clauses as entities, the context of the sentence requires that there be consistency in the verb tenses. Hence we need “would be warned”.
3. Also, “ensure” does not need the use of subjunctive verb. So “would be warned” will take care of this issue too. PoE:
A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect
for the reasons stated above.
B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats the verb tense (must) error as in choice A.
2. There is no need for subjunctive verb here. We do need “would” not only before “evaluate” but also before “be warned of”.
C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. Use of “are warned” is incorrect because the context of the sentence is set in the past tense.
2. Same “would” error as in choice B.
3. “warned of” is more formal than “warned about”. The latter is more colloquial. Hence, “warned of” is better
D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect.
1. Use of “will be warned” leads to verb tense error
2. “that” is missing before the second entity in the list.
E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would: Correct.
Hope this helps.
Aiming to score 760+ on the GMAT? Attend our free webinars to learn how to:
[*] Master Number Properties
[*] Ace Critical Reasoning
The webinars will start at 7 AM PST on the 11th and 12th of July, 2015.