Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [2] , given: 0

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (01:48) correct 45% (00:43) wrong based on 169 sessions
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would

B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel

D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would

E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 24 Jul 2013, 03:26, edited 2 times in total.
Added OA.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 15:47
This post received
KUDOS
E.

would is required to indicate future, unseen, effects of federal rules.
C is incorect: tense not consistent. "it was conducted" in non-underlined portion indicates past tense.

Whether you think you can or think you can't. You're right! - Henry Ford (1863 - 1947)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 17:05
If the sentence were modified would this be correct?

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments are established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

also what about this sentence?

The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments are established to ensure that patients will be warned of potential risks and an independent panel will evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2005, 18:58
joemama142000 wrote:
The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of medical experiments were established to ensure that patients must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted.

E for parallel structure and parallel tenses and correct idiom "be warned of"
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2005, 02:03
oa is E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2005, 08:30
E,//lism would be warned of and would evaluate

I thought warn about is a correct idiom but now I know that I was wrong
thanks guys for posting this question
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2005, 06:19
Late, but E for the consistent use of the modal would.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 17:42
Yurik79 wrote:
joemama142000 wrote:

I vote for D

D would not be correct as it is missing the "that" to be parallel with to ensure "that" patients...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2010, 21:06
E for parallel construction (that.. that..) and subjunctive usgae ( were - would )

Kudos Never costs your Pocket ! Give when u feel it worthy :idea:

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 07:19
I picked E not even for parrallelism but for the usage of: would be warned of.....rather than warned about...
We usually would get warned of danger rather than about
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 20:50
anish319 wrote:
I picked E not even for parrallelism but for the usage of: would be warned of.....rather than warned about...
We usually would get warned of danger rather than about

I think your point is valid. Can somebody explain?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 5

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 14:01
This post received
KUDOS
I originally picked E for ||ism. But after reaching MGMAT SC and a couple of OG examples where words like 'rule' and 'laws' are associated with MUST instead of COULD/SHOULD/WOULD (since laws are mandatory and words like would/should/could imply one has a choice in obeying the law...) , I decided to go with B because that is the only option that has MUST in the beginning and removes WOULD from the second half. It didn't make sense to me but I went by the rules in MGMAT and OG. Turns out there are exceptions to the rule :-(

How to avoid this trap?

-DK
---------------------------------------------------------
If you like what you read then give a Kudos! :-)
Diagnostic Test: 620
The past is a guidepost, not a hitching post.
---------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 51

Re: SC federal rules [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 10:58
warned of and warned about ? warned about is wrong usage .

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 254 [2] , given: 32

Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2012, 01:05
This post received
KUDOS
would is needed for future potentiality and parallel construction (that.. that..)
Thus E.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 313 [0], given: 543

Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 02:22
can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1198 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:

The sentence says "evaluate" so we cannot place an "an independent panel" before (is singular). Out B and C.
The sentence also says "were", hence we are talking about the past; so the verb "will" is not correct.
If we are in the past, and we want to make a prediction about the future "would" is correct over "will". This eliminates option D.

The parallelism in A is not correct, E, on the other hand, is perfectly parallel: to ensure patients would be warned and that an independent panel would .

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3677 [3] , given: 185

Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
fozzzy wrote:

Hi fozzy,
There you go.

Since the meaning is pretty simple to understand, let’s proceed to the Error Analysis.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The federal rules were made to ensure two things:
• patients must be warned of potential risks, and
• an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted
The first entity is preceded by “that”, but the second one is not. We need before the second entity as well.

2. Use of “would evaluate” is correct because the main verb for this part of the sentence is written in simple past tense “was conducted”. Since the sentence is written in simple past tense, we must use past tense of “will” that is “would” here.
Now the entities in the list must be parallel. Since we have two clauses as entities, the context of the sentence requires that there be consistency in the verb tenses. Hence we need “would be warned”.
3. Also, “ensure” does not need the use of subjunctive verb. So “would be warned” will take care of this issue too.

PoE:

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats the verb tense (must) error as in choice A.
2. There is no need for subjunctive verb here. We do need “would” not only before “evaluate” but also before “be warned of”.

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. Use of “are warned” is incorrect because the context of the sentence is set in the past tense.
2. Same “would” error as in choice B.
3. “warned of” is more formal than “warned about”. The latter is more colloquial. Hence, “warned of” is better

D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect.
1. Use of “will be warned” leads to verb tense error
2. “that” is missing before the second entity in the list.

E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.11

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 06:27
egmat wrote:
fozzzy wrote:

Hi fozzy,
There you go.

Since the meaning is pretty simple to understand, let’s proceed to the Error Analysis.

ERROR ANALYSIS:

1. The federal rules were made to ensure two things:
• patients must be warned of potential risks, and
• an independent panel would evaluate the experiment before it was conducted
The first entity is preceded by “that”, but the second one is not. We need before the second entity as well.

2. Use of “would evaluate” is correct because the main verb for this part of the sentence is written in simple past tense “was conducted”. Since the sentence is written in simple past tense, we must use past tense of “will” that is “would” here.
Now the entities in the list must be parallel. Since we have two clauses as entities, the context of the sentence requires that there be consistency in the verb tenses. Hence we need “would be warned”.
3. Also, “ensure” does not need the use of subjunctive verb. So “would be warned” will take care of this issue too.

PoE:

A) must be warned of potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

B) must be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. This choice repeats the verb tense (must) error as in choice A.
2. There is no need for subjunctive verb here. We do need “would” not only before “evaluate” but also before “be warned of”.

C) are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel: Incorrect.
1. Use of “are warned” is incorrect because the context of the sentence is set in the past tense.
2. Same “would” error as in choice B.
3. “warned of” is more formal than “warned about”. The latter is more colloquial. Hence, “warned of” is better

D) will be warned about potential risks and an independent panel would: Incorrect.
1. Use of “will be warned” leads to verb tense error
2. “that” is missing before the second entity in the list.

E) would be warned of potential risks and that an independent panel would: Correct.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

Dear E-Gmat

ensure that patients are warned about potential risks and that an independent panel......

This uses subjunctive.. can we use subjunctive for ensure ( u said it doesnot needsubjunctive but explain if using subjunctive is wrong.....

Also, here govt did something so that people donot face any problem for the whole future , I mean we can state the intention in simple present ..... so C seems ok to me. Please correct me if I am wrong....
"I removed the obstacle on the road to ensure that no one gets hurt".
Is this sentence wrong too?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 278

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2014, 11:11
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The federal rules aimed at protecting human subjects of   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2014, 11:11