Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 06:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 09:17
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

4% (01:44) correct 96% (00:52) wrong based on 30 sessions
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(A) since each of them were
(B) since they were each
(C) since all of them were
(D) each of which was
(E) because all of the men were

Please explain your answers.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 09:42
E..i know its very awkward bt herez my reasonin
A,B,C,D-all d opts hav no clear referent..it can b papers, articles or d authors
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 09:49
eyunni wrote:
The Federalist papers is a compilation of articles written by Alexander Hamilton and James Madison, as well as a few by John Jay, since each of them were advocates of the Constitution.

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

When each is the subject of a sentence it is singular. However, ADVOCATES is plural. So we will have to use a combination such that THEY becomes the subject to correspond to advocates. If we use they were each then this problem is resolved.

B stands.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:22
12345678 wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

When each is the subject of a sentence it is singular. However, ADVOCATES is plural. So we will have to use a combination such that THEY becomes the subject to correspond to advocates. If we use they were each then this problem is resolved.

B stands.

hey can u tell me y E is wrong?

E has two problems -

It is wordy (as compared to the correct option)

And it is unidiomatic - All OF the men seems to suggest that MEN can be apportioned into pieces - and this one takes ALL. It should have said ALL THE MEN were and not (all OF the men were).

These are my $0.02
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:26
dwivedys wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

B stands.

If (B) has to be true, I think the sentence should go like this: "........since they were each an advocate of the Constitution."

Correct me if I am wrong.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:30
dwivedys wrote:

B stands.

I might be missing something quite obvious here. But how do we know that 'they' refers to the people mentioned and not the articles or the Federalist papers?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:41
I thought "A" would be correct but now think that it should be "E" all others have a pronoun error.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:41
gluon wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

B stands.

I might be missing something quite obvious here. But how do we know that 'they' refers to the people mentioned and not the articles or the Federalist papers?

exactly..dats y i chose E or else wud've gone for C
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:44
gluon wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

B stands.

Because LOGICALLY (And logically is the operative word here), the Articles or the Fed papers can't be the advocates -- hence THEY unambiguously points to the individuals mentioned. That's my opinion though. I try to see if the prounoun fits logically with its antecedent - not just structurally or semantically alone.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 10:53
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

I pick B, E is wordy. A,C,D are plural and do not go with "each".

B seems wrong too, when taken in context of the sentence, but seems the best choice.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 13:37
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

I picked C.

A. Each were advocates - wrong.
B. they were each advocates -- should be they were each advocates and something else... out.
D each of which(which can not refer to person)
E - All is wrong - as well as is not conjugated, so it should have been "because both of the men...." All is incorrect.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 14:35
I'm pretty sure that it's E b/c the "each" of the other choices only makes you refer back to the actual subject which is the "federalist papers"--also, each corresponds with "was" not were.

Can you post the answer?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 15:58
teachmesomething wrote:
I'm pretty sure that it's E b/c the "each" of the other choices only makes you refer back to the actual subject which is the "federalist papers"--also, each corresponds with "was" not were.

Can you post the answer?

This is from MGMAT SC guide but the answer choice is not provided. That is the reason I posted this sc and wanted a general consensus on the answer choice.

I picked (C) by POE.
IMO,
D/E are out because of 'which' and 'men'
(B) each - needs advocate, not advocates
(A) each of them 'was'
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 18:30
The answer is E because all other choices are ambiguous as to whom they refer to in the first part of the sentence before the first comma. They make the answers wordy on purpose so that you don't notice the reference being inappropriate.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 21:04
Apart from the antecedent problems with A, B and C.

From usage notes online:

Because, since, as. Because is the most specific of the conjunctions used to express reason or cause. It always indicates an unequivocal causal relationship. Since is often a weak form of because. It also contains a notion of duration over time that because does not. Use since when the meaning of what follows it is implied by what precedes it. Using as to mean since or because is always feeble. It makes whatever follows sound trivial. Avoid this misuse. Substitute for, since, or because, except in those rare cases in which you want to tone down the reason assigned.

I think that makes it E [/u]
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 21:58
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

In my opinion, it should be E for the following reasons:

1: because is preferred over since.
2: this is cause and effect: x is y because of z.
3: men clearly refers to Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay. so no ambiguity here. if we take B or C, clearly they and them are ambigious.

What is the source?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 22:24
The more I read this SC, the more E is starting to make sense.
I wish we had the OA for this one....
Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 08:05
Himalayan wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

3: men clearly refers to Alexander Hamilton, James Madison, and John Jay. so no ambiguity here. if we take B or C, clearly they and them are ambigious.

What is the source?

I think we need both(not all) to refer to two person. All is used for 3 or more things.
There are only two person here( John Jay is referenced in as well as clause so it can not be conjugated ii) he is mentioned in non-essential clause).
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 10:39
Path wrote:
Himalayan wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

What is the source?

I think we need both(not all) to refer to two person. All is used for 3 or more things.
There are only two person here( John Jay is referenced in as well as clause so it can not be conjugated ii) he is mentioned in non-essential clause).

good point: for your reason, "all" is required to refer all three people. since we need to refer three people, that why all is more appropariate.

That further makes E more resonable.

thanks.
Manager
Manager

Re: SC: Federalist Papers [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 14:39
Himalayan wrote:
Path wrote:
Himalayan wrote:
eyunni wrote:

(B) since they were each
(D) each of which was

What is the source?

good point: for your reason, "all" is required to refer all three people. since we need to refer three people, that why all is more appropariate.

That further makes E more resonable.

thanks.

:)
I was saying opposite of what you thought.

Again..
Re: SC: Federalist Papers   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2007, 14:39