Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The few, the proud?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 17

The few, the proud? [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 17:03
Hey guys,

Its been a tough time for me the past two weeks. First I got rejected by Wharton, then HBS, both giving me interviews.

Then someone telling me that when those two gives you interviews, its very strange + weird not to get into any, and was probably due to me choking in the interview. I thought I did well in the Wharton one, but the HBS one could have been better, but it wasn't a choke.

Is it true that it was probably my interviews? Or is this more common? Basically it was like a slap in the face, like running 41 km then falling on my face at the last 10m.

I'm Singaporean, so I guess I'm competing with fellow singaporeans for a spot. Maybe someone here can tell me what the heck is going on...

Feeling low,
Nienhan
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 1

Re: The few, the proud? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 00:20
This post received
KUDOS
Tough luck Nienhan. Whats your profile?

I would say the following.........

Firstly, great job on getting interviews to two ultra selective schools & it shows that on paper your app is competitive.

Stating the obvious, both schools are very competitive and although I am not sure what the conversion rate is from interview to acceptance, I am guessing its not that high. Also your sample is pretty small with only 2 schools.......if you had interviews for say 4 schools and didn't get accepted......then it would be pretty clear that you need to improve your interview skills.

Having said that.......how did you prep for your interview? In my experience "not choking" or "doing okay" by adequately answering their questions is not enough in an interview. Its an opportunity to really improve your candidacy and "wow" them. The most common feedback from recruiters to unsuccesful candidates at interviews isnt "the guy choked and was incoherent" or "we didnt like his answers". Its normally "there was someone better".

You just got to figure out how to stand out against your peers in an interview. So it would be useful to know what prep you did.

MIT, Booth, HBS, Stanford

2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475-40.html#p640997

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 17

Re: The few, the proud? [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 00:30
This post received
KUDOS
Erm, I don't know how to do profiles, so forgive me if i miss something.

Male, 27, Singaporean
GMAT 720
Umich Com.Engineering Grad, 3.7 GPA
Officer in the Army, Elite Corps, 2.5 years.
Valedictorian of my officer cadet school in Singapore Armed Forces
Real Estate 3 years, currently in one of the largest real estate P.E. firms as associate.

I applied stanford too, but that one gave me a ding w/o int. But I'm okay with that.

I actually applied for 2 mock interviews with separate consultants... I figured if I want to do this, I should do it once and do it good....but still hit the slammer. :oops:

No one else got rejected by HSW after ints? :shock:
Re: The few, the proud?   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2010, 00:30