Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Weakenx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [241]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [91]
Given Kudos: 130
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [15]
Given Kudos: 130
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [6]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
sperinko wrote:
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise. Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument concerning overall consumer legal costs?

(A) The state has recently removed some other restrictions that had limited the advertising of legal services.

(B) The state is unlikely to remove all of the restrictions that apply solely to the advertising of legal services.

(C) Lawyers who do not advertise generally provide legal services of the same quality as those provided by lawyers who do advertise.

(D) Most lawyers who now specify fee arrangements in their advertisements would continue to do so even if the specification were not required.

(E) Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.

Note: This question is from OG10 -- Q#12. Q#11 of OG10 has same stimulus but different question.
OG10#11 (Must Be True): https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-fewer-re ... 51118.html
OG10#12 (Weaken): https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-fewer-re ... 33526.html

Fewer restrictions leads to more lawyers advertising.
Lawyers who advertise charge less than those who don't.

Conclusion - If restrictions are removed, overall cost will decrease (because more lawyers will advertise and charge lower (questionable assumption but we will discuss this later))

We have to weaken the argument so we need to show that cost may not decrease.

(A) The state has recently removed some other restrictions that had limited the advertising of legal services.

We are talking about further reduction in restrictions for further reduction in costs. Some was done in the past is irrelevant.

(B) The state is unlikely to remove all of the restrictions that apply solely to the advertising of legal services.

We are not discussing removing all. No impact.

(C) Lawyers who do not advertise generally provide legal services of the same quality as those provided by lawyers who do advertise.

Quality of services is not being discussed, only cost. In any case it is good for our argument if the quality doesn't deteriorate with reduced cost.

(D) Most lawyers who now specify fee arrangements in their advertisements would continue to do so even if the specification were not required.

Irrelevant what they actually put in the ad. We want to reduce restrictions because then more lawyers will advertise. Whether they will put fee arrangements in the ad and what impact that has is out of scope. We are given that those who place ads, charge less.

(E) Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.

What this says is that lawyers don't reduce their charges when they advertise. They advertise those charges that are already lower than others.
Say there are 2 lawyers X and Y -
X charges $500/hour for property cases and $250/hour for family law cases.
Lawyer Y charges $400/hr for property cases and $300/hour for family cases.
If they both were to advertise, X will advertise his family cases charges and Y will advertise her property cases charges.)
So even if more lawyers advertise because of fewer restrictions, will overall cost decrease? Not likely. Lawyers don't reduce their fees when they advertise.
Hence, it weakens the argument.

Answer (E)­
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services [#permalink]
Kudos
:madd took way too long here

fewer restr -> more lawyer ads
more lawyer ads -> lower prices

1. C
2. E

MUST BE TRUE
(A) some lawyers??? as far as I am concerned they don't have to raise fees at all, especially all of them... which means "some" can't raise them as well
(B) OUT OF SCOPE... we know nothing about number of consumers
(C) If the restriction against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements is removed, more lawyers will advertise their services.
(D) again... SOME LAYWERS... we don't know that... we are concerned about the whole group
(E) Type of arguments are OUT OF SCOPE... it just talks about specific example

WEAKEN
(A) ok... they did and WHAT HAPPENED? does nothing to the argument
(B) ALL RESTRICTIONS are not the issue... SOME RESTRICTIONS are...
(C) quality is OUT OF SCOPE... and if anything it strengthen the argument saying all the lawyer services are the same
(D) and what would happen??? does nothing to the argument

Answer E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [4]
Given Kudos: 78
Schools:ABCD
Send PM
Re: The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services [#permalink]
Kudos
The fewer restrictions there are on the advertising of legal services, the more lawyers there are who advertise their services, and the lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise. Therefore, if the state removes any of its current restrictions, such as the one against advertisements that do not specify fee arrangements, overall consumer legal costs will be lower than if the state retains its current restrictions.

Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the argument concerning overall consumer legal costs?
A. The state has recently removed some other restrictions that had limited the advertising of legal services.
B. The state is unlikely to remove all of the restrictions that apply solely to the advertising of legal services.
C. Lawyers who do not advertise generally provide legal services of the same quality as those provided by lawyers who do advertise.
D. Most lawyers who now specify fee arrangements in their advertisements would continue to do so even if the specification were not required.
E. Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.

Oa is understandable.

2 Questions :
(#1)
My question is that how could these two facts coexist?
fact 1) The lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.
fact 2) Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.
thoughts?

#2-
Things to note : #1 is about the present tense; #2 is also about the present tense but with a bit of time difference. Essentially, #2 happens before #1.
My understanding - initially, a greater proportion of lawyers who advertise their services don't lower their fees but later on, lawyers who advertise their services do. However, the issue is that the conclusion is about the future. Hence, if the lawyers don't lower their fees initially, wouldn't it be okay because the author is not concerned about what happens right now (fact #1 and fact #2) !

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
voodoochild wrote:

A. The state has recently removed some other restrictions that had limited the advertising of legal services.
B. The state is unlikely to remove all of the restrictions that apply solely to the advertising of legal services.
C. Lawyers who do not advertise generally provide legal services of the same quality as those provided by lawyers who do advertise.
D. Most lawyers who now specify fee arrangements in their advertisements would continue to do so even if the specification were not required.
E. Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.

Oa is understandable.

2 Questions :
(#1)
fact 1) The lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.
fact 2) Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.
thoughts?

#2-
Things to note : #1 is about the present tense; #2 is also about the present tense but with a bit of time difference. Essentially, #2 happens before #1.
My understanding - initially, a greater proportion of lawyers who advertise their services don't lower their fees but later on, lawyers who advertise their services do. However, the issue is that the conclusion is about the future. Hence, if the lawyers don't lower their fees initially, wouldn't it be okay because the author is not concerned about what happens right now (fact #1 and fact #2) !

Thanks!

They can co-exist if lawyers tend to advertise those services for which they charge less than the average. Their fees is already lower for those services. They haven't decreased it and are not going to decrease it.
If other lawyers also start advertising for the same service, they will not lower their fees either.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [0]
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
voodoochild wrote:

Oa is understandable.

2 Questions :
(#1)
thoughts?

#2-

Thanks!

They can co-exist if lawyers tend to advertise those services for which they charge less than the average. Their fees is already lower for those services. They haven't decreased it and are not going to decrease it.
If other lawyers also start advertising for the same service, they will not lower their fees either.

But wouldn't the blue part violate Fact#1 - i.e. if lawyers advertise, they charge less? Fact#1 states that a majority of lawyers charge less for their advertisement of services. I am a bit confused....Please help :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 919 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mikemcgarry wrote:
Suppose, for simplicity, there are 100 lawyers in the town.
50 of them have traditionally charged $50/hr, a dirt-cheap rate.
The other 50 have traditionally charged $150/hr, a more standard rate.

Suppose, in this town, 55 lawyers advertise, showing their prices:
All fifty who have fees of $50/hr advertise and display that fee. None of them lowered that fee before placing the ad.
Five of those who have fees of $150/hr advertise and display their fee. Four of them did not lower that fee before placing the ad, but the fifth lawyer lowered her fees to $120/hr and then placed the ad.

In this scenario, it is simultaneously true that:
(1) The lawyers who advertise a specific service usually charge less for that service than lawyers who do not advertise.
(More specifically, if you pick a random lawyer who advertises, there's a 50/55 = 10/11 chance that you'll pick someone with the lowest rate. A probability of 10/11 is very strong grounds for the word "usually"!!!) ====> STATEMENT 1
(2) Most lawyers who advertise specific services do not lower their fees for those services when they begin to advertise.
(More specifically, if you pick a random lawyer who advertises, there's a 54/55 = 0.982 chance that you'll pick someone who didn't lower their fee in order to advertise. Again, a probability of 0.982 is very strong grounds for the word "most"!!!) ====> STATEMENT 2

Mike,
Thanks for taking time to answer my question. The only reason why I give so much importance to every answer choice is that it helps me to test my understanding of the prompt, even though I am able to answer questions correctly. Secondly, I love solving these questions.

I have drawn a picture that would help you to visualize what's going on in my mind. {The picture is a typical "dynamic system" that's taught in engineering courses. The idea is that a system generally stabilizes to a set point (or usual price) after undergoing through +/- cycles. } A picture is worth a million words. I have divided the time (x-axis) in two regions - initially when the advertisers don't lower their fees and the usual price of advertisers. The reason why I have divided the time axis in two regions is because the conclusion uses future tense that the cost will be lower. However, FACT1, as stated in answer choice, talks about what happens initially. Fact2 says that on an average, the lawyers' fee for those who advertise is lower than those who don't advertise. Hence, I am assuming that lawyers who don't lower their fees while advertising in the early stages have to lower their fees later on so that the overall average goes down . Otherwise, Fact2 will be violated.

That said and considering the above figure, your statement1, in my opinion, is not valid because FACT1 is about "usual" rate and not when the lawyers begin to advertise.. In your example, you have alluded to the region A. However, in my opinion, FACT1 is about the "usual" rate that would be obtained when the rates stabilize (region B)

Similarly, your statement2 is valid because you are only considering the region when lawyers begin to advertise. This is correct because it deals with region A in my figure.

Also, I think that the conclusion is about a future tense "will." The author is not concluding anything about what happens when the lawyers begin to advertise. She is concerned about the long term rates.

Thoughts? Please help me.....
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64900 [2]
Send PM
Kudos