Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 01:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 51 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 01:48
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been a time of considerable achievement in the arts.

(A) for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been
(B) despite all their advertised conformity, now appears to be
(C) for all their advertised conformity, now appear that they were
(D) despite all their advertised conformity, now appears as
(E) with all their advertised conformity, now appears

Source: http://www.sentencecorrection.com/ :?:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: Re: [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 18:10
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
rollingface wrote:
riteshgupta1 wrote:
Remember, it is compared with "a time", not times.

So The fifties has to be singular.

Could someone please explain why the above logic does not apply? If "the fifties" is being referred to as a plural noun here then the later part of the sentence should read "... now appear to have been times of considerable achievement in the arts."

I usually nail SC this one definitely did not strike me as consistent with the GMAT, do we know the source?

I couldn't agree more. This source seems way too dubious and the logic of answers aren't quite satisfactory.

First -- The fifties was a period. (A timeframe so singular but the number of days or months is plural?? Debatable)
Second -- The fifties WAS a period. ( It's in the past.)

I find it easier to rule out based on Timeframe rather than singular/plural on this question.

The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear to have been a time of considerable achievement in the arts.

CORRECT
(B) despite all their advertised conformity, now appear to be
Now appear to be? So, previously they didn't have considerable achievement in the arts? Senseless.
This is wordy -- now appear that they were. Now appear that -- is non-idiomatic. I suppose its an old type of question not the new styled of GMAT question.
This changes the meaning because appears as is an idiom used to describe something contrasting what is expected. But that was not the intended meaning here. Second problem here is appears is plural verb and their is plural subject
(E) with all advertised conformity, now appears
Notice E also changes meaning. Replacing For all with With all has a subtle shift in meaning. For all has a meaning similar to although or even though but with all means JUST with everything without any contrats.

Only two forums had this question this one and Beat the GMAT (Link in here:http://www.beatthegmat.com/the-fifties-tough-one-t110840.html )
Since Manhattan doesnt have it I think its 1000SC source and potentially bogus. I agree with MGMAT with respect to using non-OG styled questions. They tend to distort your thinking a little bit. So, beware!!

Hi,
I believe that the option A has two verbs appear and have been without being connected properly ?
The subject is 1950s but they are connected by 'to'. Is that even possible ?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 254

Kudos [?]: 1455 [1] , given: 245

Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am afraid there are no two verbs; appear is the only verb that actions the subject ‘the fifties’; ‘to have’ is an infinitive and just a verbal

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
Schools: Fisher '16 (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 6

Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2013, 22:55
daagh wrote:
I am afraid there are no two verbs; appear is the only verb that actions the subject ‘the fifties’; ‘to have’ is an infinitive and just a verbal

Missed the infinitive form. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 22:54
chunjuwu wrote:

(B) despite all their advertised conformity, now appears to be
(E) with all their advertised conformity, now appears

Source: http://www.sentencecorrection.com/ :?:

First: Deconstructing A, seems alright
Given: Current observation of things of past
if observation is of came time use simple infinitive. here its of earlier time and hence perfect infinitive.
B,D,E is wrong b/c of faulty SV agreement. YEARS of a decade (the fifties, the sixties, the seventies, etc.) represent the distinguishable period of time

C is wrong.. idiomatic error

Wish me luck for GMAT. Wish me Kudos for gmatclub

May everyone succeed in their endeavor. God Bless!!!

Re: The fifties, for all their advertised conformity, now appear   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2014, 22:54