Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above is a cube. What is the measure of angle BEG

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

The figure above is a cube. What is the measure of angle BEG [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 05:25
Attachment:
Cube - Q.jpg
Cube - Q.jpg [ 21.46 KiB | Viewed 2451 times ]
The figure above is a cube. What is the measure of angle BEG (not shown)?
A. 30°
B. 45°
C. 60°
D. 75°
E. 90°

Hi everyone,
I wanted to make you a quick and apparently easy question that it's giving me a hard time:

What is the angle formed by the diagonals of to perpendicular faces of a cube?

I know the answer but I can't visualize why that's the answer

Source: local GMAT course

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Bunuel on 26 Mar 2012, 06:36, edited 2 times in total.
Added a question, diagram and OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28591 [1] , given: 2803

Re: Cube, Diagonals and Angles [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 06:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone,
I wanted to make you a quick and apparently easy question that it's giving me a hard time:

Thanks in advance

Added a question about this issue for a better understating.

Attachment:
Cube.jpg
Cube.jpg [ 30.11 KiB | Viewed 2449 times ]
A. 30°
B. 45°
C. 60°
D. 75°
E. 90°

Note that triangle BEG is equilateral: it's made by the diagonals of the adjacent faces of the given cube (and as faces of a cube are squares its diagonals are equal). Thus angle BEG=60 degrees.

Answer: C.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: The figure above is a cube. What is the measure of angle BEG [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2012, 07:35
Thank you Bunuel, for the edit and for the answer. As the image provided in the exercise was not clear I was misinterpreting the angle that the question was asking to identify, this makes total sense now.

Thank again

Cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Cube, Diagonals and Angles [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 10:16
Bunuel wrote:
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Attachment:
Cube.jpg
A. 30°
B. 45°
C. 60°
D. 75°
E. 90°

Note that triangle BEG is equilateral: it's made by the diagonals of the adjacent faces of the given cube (and as faces of a cube are squares its diagonals are equal). Thus angle BEG=60 degrees.

Hope it helps.

Why isn't it 90? Since two diagonals bisect two 90 degree angles would the x angle equal to 90? I understand your explanation, but would like to understand why my thinking is wrong? Thank you.
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28591 [0], given: 2803

Re: Cube, Diagonals and Angles [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 11:12
Expert's post
bohdan01 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Attachment:
The attachment Cube.jpg is no longer available
A. 30°
B. 45°
C. 60°
D. 75°
E. 90°

Hope it helps.

Why isn't it 90? Since two diagonals bisect two 90 degree angles would the x angle equal to 90? I understand your explanation, but would like to understand why my thinking is wrong? Thank you.

It would be correct for 2-D geometry, meaning the angle between two diagonals below is indeed 90 degrees:
Attachment:
Squares.png
Squares.png [ 2.5 KiB | Viewed 2266 times ]
But in 3-D geometry 2 faces are already 90 degrees to each other thus their diagonals would not form 90 degrees any more.

Hope it's clear.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: University of Chicago, Wharton School
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 7

Re: Cube, Diagonals and Angles [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 12:25
htbreme wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance

Unlike 2d shapes, 3d shapes cannot be viewed by plain eyes. :-D
Re: Cube, Diagonals and Angles   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2012, 12:25