Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

47% (02:34) correct 52% (01:34) wrong based on 114 sessions
Attachment:
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG [ 7.01 KiB | Viewed 2632 times ]
The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least 1/2 foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 29 Jan 2012, 07:07, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2004, 20:44
This post received
KUDOS
See attachement, If unclear, let me know.

Regards
Attachments

q4_870.jpg
q4_870.jpg [ 31.85 KiB | Viewed 2625 times ]

Giving another SHOT

Math Expert
Followers: 2869

Kudos [?]: 18334 [0], given: 2345

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Tunnel hight [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 08:09
Expert's post
udaymathapati wrote:
The figure attached shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?
A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft

See the diagram attached:
Attachment:
untitled.PNG
untitled.PNG [ 5.25 KiB | Viewed 3731 times ]
Rectangle inscribed has the length of traffic lane 12. So max height of vehicle will be 1/2 foot less than the width of this rectangle.

Now, let O be the center of the semi-circle, then OA=radius=20/2=10 and OB=12/2=6 --> AB=\sqrt{OA^2-OB^2}=\sqrt{10^2-6^2}=8.

So max height of the vehicle that are allowed to use the tunnel is 8-0.5=7.5.

Answer: B.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 50

Re: Tunnel hight [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 21:35
udaymathapati wrote:
The figure attached shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?
A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft

My approach:

Equation of the circle -- x^2 + y^2 = a^2 (a is the radius of the circle which is 10 feet.)

The diameter of the semicircle is 20 and the traffic lane is 12 feet wide and located at equal distance from the sides of the tunnel. The width of the traffic lane should be 4 feet away from each of the sides.

If we position the center of the tunnel (center of the semicircle) to overlap exactly on the origin of the x-y coordinate graph then the center of the semicircle would be the origin (0,0) and the end points of the traffic lane would be (-6,0) and (6,0).

Let us take one of the edges of the traffic lane -- (6,0). We need to find distance from the x-axis to the edge of the semi-circle ... that is the y coordinate.

Making use of the equation of the circle -- x^2 + y^2 = 100 .. we already know x coordinate which is 6.

Hence y^2 = 100 - 36.

y^2 = 64. Hence y is 8. Hence the height of the tunnel at the edge of the traffic lane is 8 feet high. Minimum clearance should be 1/2 feet hence the maximum height of the vehicles allowed is 7.5 feet.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: ISB, Tepper - CMU, Chicago Booth, LSB
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 50

Re: Tunnel hight [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2010, 22:40
A little correction to my previous post.

The equation of the circle with the given center as (h,k) and radius as r is

(x-h)^2 + (y-k)^2 = r^2.

Since the semicircle is centered at origin (0,0) the equation was noted as x^2 + y^2 = r^2.

:good Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog :thanks

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 120

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 13:51
Hi Guys!

I was thinking about extreme cases, such a truck with cylidrical tank. In this case you would not take into account the width of the lane. Hence the maximum height of the truck would be R - 1/2 = 10-1/2 = 9 1/2 (where R is the radius of the semicircular cross).

Unfortuantely, this answer is wrong, but I still think that it is valid. Can somebody explain why I'm wrong? :)
THX!
Attachments

File comment: example of the truck I was thinking about
fuel_truck_aircraft_3000_gallons_ford_4.jpg
fuel_truck_aircraft_3000_gallons_ford_4.jpg [ 22.09 KiB | Viewed 649 times ]

Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2013, 13:51