Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 19:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 05:10
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (02:38) correct 49% (01:30) wrong based on 60 sessions
The figure attached shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: the-figure-above-shows-the-dimensions-of-a-semicircular-100337.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Attachments

semi.doc [23.5 KiB]
Downloaded 75 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 375

Kudos [?]: 1912 [2] , given: 359

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
:)
Attachments

t58167.gif
t58167.gif [ 5.39 KiB | Viewed 1690 times ]

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
That does make more sense (since automobiles aren't 2D :lol: ).

In that case:

Answer B

Create a right triangle using the radius of 10 as a hypotenuse. The legs of the triangle will be 6 (1/2 of the travel lane) and X (the height at the edge of the road). 3-4-5 right triangle gives us a height of 8' at the side of the road. 8-.5 = 7.5' max
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 11:06
This post received
KUDOS
Hypotenuse is 10, not 9.5.

You take the 1/2 off of the height when you find it (8-.5 =7.5), not off the hypotenuse.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3730

Kudos [?]: 31113 [1] , given: 3270

Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 06:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
marcodonzelli wrote:
The figure attached shows the dimensions of a semicircular cross section of a one-way tunnel. The single traffic lane is 12 feet wide and is equidistant from the sides of the tunnel. If vehicles must clear the top of the tunnel by at least ½ foot when they are inside the traffic lane, what should be the limit on the height of vehicles that are allowed to use the tunnel?

A. 5½ ft
B. 7½ ft
C. 8 ½ ft
D. 9½ ft
E. 10 ft

See the diagram attached:
Rectangle inscribed has the length of traffic lane 12. So max height of vehicle will be 1/2 foot less than the width of this rectangle.

Now, let O be the center of the semi-circle, then OA=radius=20/2=10 and OB=12/2=6 --> AB=\sqrt{OA^2-OB^2}=\sqrt{10^2-6^2}=8.

So max height of the vehicle that are allowed to use the tunnel is 8-0.5=7.5.

Answer: B.

OPEN DISCUSSION OF THIS QUESTION IS HERE: the-figure-above-shows-the-dimensions-of-a-semicircular-100337.html

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 06:15
Are they asking for the height of the tunnel at the EDGE of the 12 foot lane? or the height of the tunnel in the center? It's kind of vague, but I would assume they want the height of the tunnel at it's highest point (even though this isn't entirely practical, but perhaps that's where the 1/2 foot of tolerance comes in).

10 feet because the radius is 10 feet
then subtract 1/2 foot of clearance
10-1/2 = 9.5 feet
Answer D
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 06:48
eschn3am wrote:
Are they asking for the height of the tunnel at the EDGE of the 12 foot lane? or the height of the tunnel in the center? It's kind of vague, but I would assume they want the height of the tunnel at it's highest point (even though this isn't entirely practical, but perhaps that's where the 1/2 foot of tolerance comes in).

10 feet because the radius is 10 feet
then subtract 1/2 foot of clearance
10-1/2 = 9.5 feet
Answer D

I think it is better to find height at the 12 foot lane, because shape of car not triangle, rather it is rectangle...
so I would have picked A, since height will be 6 and 6-1/2=5.5
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 2

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 08:12
eschn3am wrote:

In that case:

Answer B

Create a right triangle using the radius of 10 as a hypotenuse. The legs of the triangle will be 6 (1/2 of the travel lane) and X (the height at the edge of the road). 3-4-5 right triangle gives us a height of 8' at the side of the road. 8-.5 = 7.5' max

great, I agree with you) tellingly I never hit the right answer I am always close to it but it doesn't make me happy because real GMAT exam makes sever punishments for wrong answers whether it is close to right answer or not. what would you suggest me to do in order to decrease errors and increase precision? not to rush?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 08:20
kazakhb wrote:
eschn3am wrote:

In that case:

Answer B

great, I agree with you) tellingly I never hit the right answer I am always close to it but it doesn't make me happy because real GMAT exam makes sever punishments for wrong answers whether it is close to right answer or not. what would you suggest me to do in order to decrease errors and increase precision? [b]not to rush[b/]?

that's it in a nutshell. Slow down, double check your work and draw out a diagram when doing geometry problems. I find I do much better on the Club Challenges when I slow down a bit. After awhile you'll know all the math you need, it's just eliminating stupid mistakes.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 08:37
eschn3am wrote:

In that case:

Answer B

correct! ...7.5' for me too..
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 09:44
akhi wrote:
eschn3am wrote:

In that case:

Answer B

correct! ...7.5' for me too..

OA is B.

This kind of questions are easy to solve reading the text well because the are written in a tricky way! I answered D too...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: semicircle [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 11:04
B is the answer=7.5.
think of a right triangle with base 6 (12/2) and hypotnuse 9.5 (10-1/2) and find out the height=answer
CEO
CEO
Followers: 224

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 12:50
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Re: The figure above shows the dimensions of a semicircular   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2013, 12:50