Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (03:33) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 34 sessions
The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If the curved portion is of a circle and the base of the entrance is 12 feet across, what is the perimeter, in feet, of the curved portion of the entrance'?

(A) 9pi
(B) 12pi
(C) 9pi rt(2)
(D) 18pi
(E) 9pi/rt(2)

so how do you solve this??
Attachments

triangle.gif
triangle.gif [ 1.13 KiB | Viewed 2373 times ]

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 May 2007, 23:53
Himalayan, can you please explain, how did u get the answer.... i am lost..
Thanks in advance !!
7 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [7] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 05:47
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
the "trick" is to know that you can draw an inscribed square inside the tunnel. the base of the square will then be the floor of the tunnel.

when you draw an inscribed square, you can divide it into two 45:45:90 degrees triangles.

knowing that the sides of the triangle are at a ratio of 1:1:sqrt(2) to the hypotenuse and knowing (from the stem) that one of the side is 12 will help you find the hypotenuse (equal to the circle diameter).

1:1:sqrt(2) --- (ratio)

12:12:12*sqrt(2)

hence 12*sqrt(2) is the diameter and 6*sqrt(2) is the radius.

Knowing the diameter we can find the perimeter of the whole circle

2*pi*r = 2*pi*(6*sqrt(2)) = 12*pi*sqrt(2) the perimeter of the whole circle !

we still have to find only the perimeter of the "semi" circle.

one of the square sides is the base. that means that the perimeter is only 3/4 of the whole circale (I can prove this but just belive me fo now).

and the perimeter of 3/4 circle is 3/4*12*pi*sqrt(2) = 9*pi*sqrt(2)

answer (C)

:-D
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
KillerSquirrel wrote:
the "trick" is to know that you can draw an inscribed square inside the tunnel. the base of the square will then be the floor of the tunnel.

Is this defacto standard?
It can be a square or a rectangle and the other 2 vertices's may not necessarily touch the circumference of the circle.
Am I missing something? arent we supposed to 'not' assume extra /outside information
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 07:21
manish.gmat wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:

It can be a square or a rectangle and the other 2 vertices's may not necessarily touch the circumference of the circle.
Am I missing something? arent we supposed to 'not' assume extra /outside information

yes ! it's a rule - a rectangular shape inscribed (meaning - touching all sides) inside a circle will always be a square !

Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 11:46
KillerSquirrel wrote:
manish.gmat wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:

yes ! it's a rule - a rectangular shape inscribed (meaning - touching all sides) inside a circle will always be a square !

though I assumed the same concept but it is not always true cuz a ractangle can also be inscribed into a circle. right???????
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 19 May 2007, 12:01
Himalayan wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:
manish.gmat wrote:
KillerSquirrel wrote:

though I assumed the same concept but it is not always true cuz a ractangle can also be inscribed into a circle. right???????

Himalayan

if an a rectangular (and not a square) is inscribed into a circle its not a circle but an ellipse. (see also OG 11 - page 133).
Intern
Intern
WE 1: Big4 Assurance (2 years)
WE 2: Big4 M&A Advisory (2 years)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 08:50
1. Draw a diameter parallel to base of the entrance and mark the center as "O".

2. Let's name one corner of the base as "A" and other as "B".

3. Draw two connectors, one from "A" to "O" and the other from "B" to "O".

4. Complete the figure of circle. Arc AB is equal to 90 degrees since it is equal to 1/4 of total circle.

5. Turn back to constructed triangle. Angle AOB is equal to 90 because arc AB is also equal to 90.

6. Moreover triangle AOB is isosceles because both AO and OB are equal to radius of the circle.

7. In that case, both AO and OB must be equal to 12^(1/2). Answer is "C".
5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 529 [5] , given: 43

Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2012, 10:43
This post received
KUDOS
Jamesk486 wrote:
The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If the curved portion is of a circle and the base of the entrance is 12 feet across, what is the perimeter, in feet, of the curved portion of the entrance'?

(A) 9pi
(B) 12pi
(C) 9pi rt(2)
(D) 18pi
(E) 9pi/rt(2)

so how do you solve this??

The correct question is:

The figure above (in the attachment) shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If the curved portion is 3/4 of a circle and the base of the entrance is 12 feet across, what is the perimeter, in feet, of the curved portion of the entrance'?

Without the information in red the question cannot be solved. Given that piece of information, it follows that the base is one of the sides of an inscribed square in the circle.
For any circle, there are infinitely many rectangles which can be inscribed in it. In particular, squares are also inscribable in a circle.
All the comments stating that a rectangle inscribed in a circle must be a square are completely wrong!
Also, in an ellipse, infinitely many rectangles and a uniques square having sides parallel to the axes of the ellipse can be inscribed.

Please, check the accuracy of the question before posting.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 05:07
damn tricky ... do we get such questions in GMAT??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 20:35
I don't think it's a GMAT question......too many assumptions required to solve it.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 20:35
I don't think it's a GMAT question......too many assumptions required to solve it.
Re: The figure above shows the shape of a tunnel entrance. If   [#permalink] 08 Nov 2013, 20:35