Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 09:33
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

44% (02:16) correct 56% (01:20) wrong based on 142 sessions
Attachment:
Pegs.PNG
Pegs.PNG [ 9.87 KiB | Viewed 2492 times ]
The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and at the bottom of the board are 4 cells numbered 1 to 4. Whenever the ball shown passes through the opening between two adjacent pegs in the same row, it will hit the peg directly beneath the opening. The ball then has the probability 1/2 of passing through the opening immediately to the left of that peg and probability 1/2 of passing through the opening immediately to the right. What is the probability that when the ball passes through the first two pegs at the top it will end in Cell 2?

A. 1/16
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 3/8
E. 1/2
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

time is not on my side

Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Jul 2013, 05:35, edited 4 times in total.
Edited the question and added the OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 09:42
think its 3/8.

8 ways the ball lands in any of the cells.
only 3 ways does the ball land in cell two

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 10:22
not sure i woul have got this without making a mistake, but......

1st gate, left or right

if it goes left it can then go : LR or RL

if it goes right it can then go : LL

so

LLR
LRL
RLL

(1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2) * 3

= 3/8
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2006, 10:28
The same logice...... must be 3/8

There is only 1 chance each to fall in 1 and 4
There are 3 chances to fall in 2 and 3.

So totally 8 out of which we need 3

So 3/8

Averages Accelerated:Guide to solve Averages Quickly(with 10 practice problems)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2006, 02:36
you're right

the OA is 3/8

I had a dificulty to count the 8 ways during the test.
I tried to put in a formula, though I'm not sure it makes some sense
4!/2*3 =8
any shortcut?

time is not on my side

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 05-31-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: probability toughy one from OG [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 12:01
Does anyone know which OG question this is ?
I haven't come across this in either 10th or 12th edition or Quant Review 2nd edition !
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3374

Kudos [?]: 24569 [1] , given: 2680

Re: The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 12:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ugo_castelo wrote:
The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and at the bottom of the board are 4 cells numbered 1 to 4. Whenever the ball shown passes through the opening between two adjacent pegs in the same row, it will hit the peg directly beneath the opening. The ball then has the probability 1/2 of passing through the opening immediately to the left of that peg and probability 1/2 of passing through the opening immediately to the right. What is the probability that when the ball passes through the first two pegs at the top it will end in Cell 2?

A. 1/16
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 3/8
E. 1/2

When ball passes two pegs it will be either on the left route or on the right route. Now, if ball is on the left route, number of possible scenarios will be 4, out of which two will lead to cell 2, if ball is on the right route, number of scenarios will also be 4, but out of these four only one will lead to cell 2. So, total 8 scenarios out of which 2+1=3 lead to cell 2, hence probability 3/8.

Answer: D.

morya003 wrote:
I haven't come across this in either 10th or 12th edition or Quant Review 2nd edition !

I think it's from GMAT Prep, not OG.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 15:35
If a question is accompanied by a helpful picture, you can sometimes arrive at the answer simply by visualizing what's said to be happening in the picture. Concentrate and picture the ball dropping through those openings, landing on the peg and then taking a right or a left direction. Note the direction as it is dropping- LLR, for example. You will notice that the ball can turn left and left and right OR left and right and left OR right and left and left in order to land on Cell 2. For "AND" you know you have to multiply and for "OR" you know you have to add. So (1/2*1/2*1/2) + (1/2*1/2*1/2)+ (1/2*1/2*1/2). That's 3/8!
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 10 May 2012, 03:33
Probability of going left of peg = 1/2
probability of going right of peg = 1/2

After passing the first row, ball will hit a peg. so the probability of going left or right is 1/2.
Assume that ball goes to left:

Then the favorable outcome can be ball first going left then going right or ball first going right and then going left. Hence probability of ball hitting cell 2 after taking first left is = 1/2*1/2 = 1/4.

Now assume that ball goes to right:

The favorable outcome after taking right will be to take 2 left on next two pegs.
hence probability of hitting cell 2 after taking first right is 1/4 *1/2 =1/8

So the total probability = 1/8+1/4 =3/8

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [2] , given: 1

Re: The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2013, 03:18
This post received
KUDOS
Just a couple of generalization. As you have already known making generalization is important in order not to solve every GMAT question from the very beginning, in other words, to solve GMAT questions quicker.

The quickest way to calculate all possible outcomes is keeping in mind that there are 3 rows of pegs to pass, each row gives 2 ways. Thus, all possible outcomes = 2*2*2 = 2^3=8
How to calculate desirable (or preferred) outcomes the above posts have already showed.

Looking deeper into the question we can find out the Galton board (or Bean machine) that demonstrates normal distribution. Watching the below video sticks you to this principle!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2014, 23:32
Bunuel wrote:
ugo_castelo wrote:

A. 1/16
B. 1/8
C. 1/4
D. 3/8
E. 1/2

When ball passes two pegs it will be either on the left route or on the right route. Now, if ball is on the left route, number of possible scenarios will be 4, out of which two will lead to cell 2, if ball is on the right route, number of scenarios will also be 4, but out of these four only one will lead to cell 2. So, total 8 scenarios out of which 2+1=3 lead to cell 2, hence probability 3/8.

Answer: D.

morya003 wrote:

I think it's from GMAT Prep, not OG.

Hi

Let's say ball be at spot 1 - 2nd peg .. Now from there it can reach Cell 2 through LRR ,RLR,RRL .
Now if ball be at spot 2 - 2nd Peg .. Now from there it can reach Cell 2through LRL,RLL.
Similarly if ball be at spot 3- 2nd Peg .. It can reach cell 2 through LLL.

SO summing up results in 6/8 . Please let me know what i am doing wrong here.
Attachments

File comment: Please find attached what i was trying to do..
Ball Problem.png
Ball Problem.png [ 22.38 KiB | Viewed 532 times ]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1075

Kudos [?]: 4794 [0], given: 163

The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 20:49
Expert's post
Manik12345 wrote:

Hi

Let's say ball be at spot 1 - 2nd peg .. Now from there it can reach Cell 2 through LRR ,RLR,RRL .
Now if ball be at spot 2 - 2nd Peg .. Now from there it can reach Cell 2through LRL,RLL.
Similarly if ball be at spot 3- 2nd Peg .. It can reach cell 2 through LLL.

SO summing up results in 6/8 . Please let me know what i am doing wrong here.

Responding to a pm:

Note that the ball does not jump from peg to peg, it falls between two pegs. So when you have 4 different arrows, they show only 2 different paths.

You can use symmetry in this question to solve it. By symmetry, we see that probability of coming to cell 1 = probability of coming to cell 4

Similarly, probability of coming to cell 2 = probability of coming to cell 3

probability of coming to cell 1 + probability of coming to cell 2 + probability of coming to cell 3 + probability of coming to cell 4 = 1
2*(probability of coming to cell 1) + 2*(probability of coming to cell 2) = 1

Finding the probability of coming to cell 1:
After the first slot (not the peg but the slot between pegs 1 and 2 in first row), it moves left (between pegs 1 and 2 in second row) or right (between pegs 2 and 3 in second row). It must move left. Probability = 1/2
After that, it must move left again. Probability = 1/2
Finally it must love left again to come at cell 1. Probability = 1/2

Total probability = (1/2)*(1/2)*(1/2) = 1/8

Putting this in equation above:

2*(1/8) + 2*probability of coming to cell 2 = 1

Probability of coming to cell 2 = 3/8

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

The figure shown represents a board with 4 rows of pegs, and   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2014, 20:49