Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Unfortunately (or fortunately!), going from Q 48 to 51 involves work on conceptual clarity and timing strategies instead of just practice. You can solve any question of any level based on a particular concept if you understand that concept well. Also, I would suggest you to work on solving questions using logical methods which are faster and less prone to errors.
What do I mean by logical approach?

Hi karishma, I agree with you on the logical approach issue. I have been following this approach for most of the questions and have got rich dividends in terms of time(for extra hard/tricky questions) and high scores. Rather, i owe my first 48 and that too without any practice to this approach. Yes, i could do the question in less than a minute with the logical approach. One can only use it once the person is done with the concepts. However, after having revised most of the concepts(mgmat 5 books), the score is still hovering around 47/48. I could identify three reasons:-
1) By applying the logical approach, I was moving too fast(end up finishing quant of gmatprep, mgmat CATs and gmatclub tests with around 15 - 20 minutes left). This way, i was making far too many careless/silly errors. So now i decided to GO SLOW, i keep telling myself that i have to go slow....i hope the results will prove it's efficacy :wink: .
2) I was getting around one-third of the questions wrong in Geometry, so decided to study it again, master the concepts and do a lot of varying difficulty problems.
3) I also noticed my weakness in questions testing mixed concepts( generally 700+ level), so decided to do a lot of prac questions, thus making sure that the surprise factor is reduced by the time i appear for the actual CAT.
BTW, Do you think the OG 12 and OG quant have hard questions :?: I have my apprehensions about the same.I don't think it's worth spending time on something that one can easily do, rather i would love to do the problems that i have difficulty in and that teach me something new.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
rajeevrks27 wrote:
Unfortunately (or fortunately!), going from Q 48 to 51 involves work on conceptual clarity and timing strategies instead of just practice. You can solve any question of any level based on a particular concept if you understand that concept well. Also, I would suggest you to work on solving questions using logical methods which are faster and less prone to errors.

BTW, Do you think the OG 12 and OG quant have hard questions :?: I have my apprehensions about the same.I don't think it's worth spending time on something that one can easily do, rather i would love to do the problems that i have difficulty in and that teach me something new.

i second your question..to put it the other way.. what is a rich source of 700+ quant questions?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Many higher level questions will involve multiple concepts. OG12 and OG have very few "hard" questions (I remember 2-3) but the wording of the questions is similar to what you are going to see in the actual GMAT so it is a good idea to go through OG12 once.

Hi Karishma, sincere thanks for your prompt reply and pearls of wisdom.
I would like to ask you one more question regarding what you wrote about mixed concepts. Since we are likely to see more of these questions in 700 + level, what would be ur take on such questions? Actually speaking, i am simply not able to connect the different concepts with each other. Is it due to my non-familarity with such questions or is it that the hit ratio with everybody in such questions is generally low.
Thanx and Regards
Rajeev

Originally posted by rajeevrks27 on 24 Mar 2012, 10:42.
Last edited by rajeevrks27 on 24 Mar 2012, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
Send PM
Hi Guys,

I am also in for the battle, i had Q-45 in my real GMAT , and now i am on my way to Q-49/50.

I do have MGMAT Advanced GMAT, its a great resource, especially for strategies.

I have two vertias books - especially the one probability and combi is a great resource.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 314 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
vibhav wrote:
rajeevrks27 wrote:

i second your question..to put it the other way.. what is a rich source of 700+ quant questions?

Having said that, can we have a collection of OG questions (numbers only) for DS and PS which are of the level of 700+? Can I roughly go through last 100-50 questions? Please tell.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 256 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
I am in the same boat. I like the gmat club tests as well. I was just curious, who created these questions? and who put these together?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 730 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Send PM
I did another mock test yesterday, this time the real gmatprep test. I noticed how different the algorithm on the gmatprep software is compared to MGMAT CAT. On MGMAT's CAT you can clearly see whether you got a question or two in a row wrong, because the software will lower the difficulty of the questions pretty quickly. On GMATprep however, you get easier questions throughout the test, even though you have made no mistakes in prior questions. I think its really important to kind of understand the software's algorithm, because I really was a little confused during the test, thinking that I got a lot of questions wrong, because the test kept throwing 500-600 level questions at me from time to time. I didnt really get a really tough problem until question 25, up until that question I only had to incorrect ones( but thought I had a lot more wrong), but the really tough problems on the GMATprep software are even harder than the 700-800 level questions on MGMAT. I scored a 49 on the quant section yesterday and I think maybe I could have scored higher if I hadn't assumed that i already got a lot of questions wrong. I also have to focus on the really tough questions, so I guess the gmatclub sets are next for me.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So team,

What is the strategy to pick the Quant from 48/49 to 50/51?

Re-read MGMT guides?
GMAT club tests?
review previously missed Qs?
Buy some tough questions and practice?
Solve more Qs from OG 13, paper tests, Question pack?

how about for Verbal from 38/39 to 42/44?

same as above??

Don't know what will provide me/us that push?

Thoughts??
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
hi Rajeev,

in the same boat , have taken 2 preps Q46 46. Will have to take it to 50 n for that hv 2 b quick off the block wth some serious planning/strategy; kudos to u for starting this thread. Exam date may end.

Have done all set 1 Q's from Arun Sharma n BRM from IMS, all sets of 700 800 of Bunuel, some 7 samurai sets, JEFF sacman extreme challenge both ps n ds , set,statistics from Jeff Sacman Gmat Math Og 11 last 100 Q's.

Took Gmat club test 25 in a non timed atm n was ok, dnt remeber the score.Gmat club diagnostic got 30 correct of 45. The wrong ones were mainly from the 1st 30. Jeff Sacman was not of a problem, it mainly hovers round probability n P&C n if u hv good understanding of the concepts it wl b a breeze. My analysis - ok with Adv concepts but the simpler ones hv gone rusty.

Planning to redo all Bunuel posts, OG 12, Jeff Sacman Gmat Maths concept wise - in between will take gmat prep twice guess that wl exhaust the series n then finally jump on the gmat prep Q's n continue with the CAT's.

Thats my plan in a nutshell n will try to stick to it.

Rgds Susmit

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi sushmit, you plan is good and i am sure you will score much more than 46 after doing the second practice.
Any specific reason for not including all 25 tests of gmatclub in ur study regimen?
Rajeev
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hi bellcurve, I have written my strategy above and after following it for more than a month, now i am consistently scoring 49 in quant. Hope to finish the journey with 50/50+.
How about ur strategy, what score u r getting and which all books ur referring to?
Cheers
Rajeev
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Rajeev,

I don't think I got your question. Are you referring to additional questions?
Manager
Manager
Status:SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Send PM
Hi Rajeev,

Don't have that many posts against my name hence restricting myself to the free ones M 25.

Wrt my plan ; 1. Completed OG 11 PS n DS
2. Re_ Done Bunuel 700+ DS

Next will touch upon Bunuel 700+ PS n ;OG 12 n then J Sackman series - the ones where -that I feel is pulling me down.

Will take gmatprep today ; will keep u postedm

Rgds Susmit

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

Gave gmatprep ystrday n Oooooo again a consistent Q46.

Analysis :of total 16 wrongs , 6 were sitters/ext silly mistakes.I cld have without even batting my eyelid reduced the no of mistakes to 2)
Conceptual mistakes ; 5-6 ( Freq Distribn , Median_ Mode Type , Mixture,); Rest it was time management that was taking a toll.

In the last 25 _ 37 series - got 7 wrong of which 4 were in a row - unpardonable mist n it was mainly due to poor time mgmt n had to rush thru the Q's.

WiLl revisit the conceptual errors n next for the MGMCAT series on which I am planning to dive from this weekend. Will try to manage time more effectively.

Strtegy : ist 15 in 40 mins ,16-24 in10 mins n last 12 in25.

Let's see hw things shape up.

Rgds Susmit

Retired Moderator
Send PM
skmskm wrote:
In the last 25 _ 37 series - got 7 wrong of which 4 were in a row - unpardonable mist n it was mainly due to poor time mgmt n had to rush thru the Q's.

WiLl revisit the conceptual errors n next for the MGMCAT series on which I am planning to dive from this weekend. Will try to manage time more effectively.

Strtegy : ist 15 in 40 mins ,16-24 in10 mins n last 12 in25.

I have my doubts about ur strategy of giving more time to initial questions and less time to last 10-15.
If you do well initially, you will face questions which are more hard and thus more time consuming.
IMO, it's better to go at a normal pace of 2 min/qns as average.
Do let us know what you think about what i mentioned above?
Regards
Rajeev
Retired Moderator
Send PM
A cool thread with some very helpful tricks
trouble-with-quant-some-tips-traps-that-might-help-you-34329.html
Highly recommended to all my fellow test takers questing to achieve higher score.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Took powerprep 1 and 2 and score 50 and 51 in them respectively. Not overwhelmed because i know the lenient scoring system and the easy level of questions.
BTW, after having finished almost half the mgmat advanced quant, I have gained a lot and i highly recommend this book to be done before jumping onto the gmatclub tests and jeff sackmann's challenge sets( 1000 questions). The book is well structured , organised and practical. A must have to score 50+.
Good luck.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts