Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 297 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
hey slay3r,
welcome in buddy. We all are study buddies here. just helping each other to reach our ultimate goal.
Are you appearing for the first time or reappearing?
do post ur strategy if it differs from the one mention above.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 02:41
This post received
KUDOS
Ok Guys, I am back with some update. I am done with the mgmat advanced quant including the 15 Sets( 150 X 700+ level questions)given at the end of the book . A must do for those scoring around 45 + and want to take their score to 49/50. The book discusses some advanced tactics and strategies which are very useful esp for the difficult questions. I won't recommend the book to those having current level below 45.
Took a gmatclub quant test M07 to gauge my performance and got 32 correct out of 37( with two silly mistakes) Also took MGMAT CAT-3 and scored 50 ( 10 errors), Though the errors are more but the questions thrown were mostly 700+ level questions with some of them as difficult as mgmat challenge problems. The assessment sheet of the test shows a good thing that from question number 12 onwards, the percentile didn't drop beyond 92 %.
So, the conclusion is that the advanced book has given the much needed push from 48 to 50 in MGMAT CATs. i just hope it works for the actual exam also.
Will be doing the jeff challenge sets now and hopefully these advanced tactics will be useful there also.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 03:22
@rajeevrks27 Thanks for keeping us updated. I'll come up with my detailed plan in a couple of days.

I think we should really corner the so called negligent silly mistakes. Its something that causes most of us to jump off the 50+ benchmark :( .

This time its personal..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 02:15
A month has passed. i wonder if any of you have taken the test and/or have any update on your strategy to 50+ quant.

My score is about 45 now and I am attempting to do the final push so your methods greatly appreciate
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 02:38
You are already Bunuel's fan's that's a good start :). Solve GMAT Prep Question Pack1 all 200 Quant problems, flag all the problems where you are taking more than 2.5 min and for these topics solve the 700 Level questions from the PS/DS Directory on GMAT Club.

ds-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-128728.html

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2012, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
Ok guys, I was off from studies for some time and now I'm back with the committment that i will give the CAT in a month's time. Yesterday and today I gave two mGMAT CATs ( 4 and 5) and scored 50 and 51 respectively. In MGMAT 5 , the pool was throwing 600-700 level PS and 700- 800 level DS question probably beacuse i am good in PS and have already consumed all the questions in the previous CATs.
Now, I'm in two minds whether to go for the balance 15 gmatclub tests , last 50 questions of OG and 10 sets of Jeff( challenge ones) or to simply do the review of gmatclub tests that i have done so far and the last 50 questions of OG, leaaving the jeff sets totally. I'm very much comfortable with quant as of now, however, verbal still needs to be addressed more. I'm currently scoring around V- 40 in the last three MGMAT tests and i think still there is scope for improvement.
Any advise?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
I don't really see the point of pushing 49 to 51. Time is better spent on improving verbal for a higher score. Verbal score has more weight in the overall
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 29

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2012, 18:34
Hello,

The thread is so much interesting, can someone help me with my strategy to go from 45 to 49 in Quant

Test Date - 10th Aug
Target score - 49-50 in quant
Earlier Score - 45 in real GMAT and 44-46 in five MGMATs , almost 80% accuracy in the OG (DS+PS)

My analysis === Weaker in Number properties, get hit hard with geometry, co-ordinate geometry, probability and combinations. Take longer with word problems when the question is tougher (but get it right mostly). I think I am bad at DS (mainly because of strategies)

Now, resources i have are
1) MGMAT guides and advanced mgmat and OG
2) GMAT club tests (have taken first five tests - get almost 27/28 right :( , felt demotivated and stopped taking )
3) Grockit
4) Knewton (do not think its much of use )
5) Kaplan Qbanks ( sometimes i feel i have got too many .. don't know )

My confusion

1) Should i start retaking GMATclub tests again ? or do you think that i should first work again on my basics and then start doing gmatclub tests ?
2) I feel pathetic with co-ordinate geometry and geometry (for prob and combi - i have bought the veritas guide, i think i will be good with it)
3) do i require to buy Jeff's Quant collections (advanced one, i think i have enough material for basics)

Can someone please help, i feel too much confused as to what to do ? I do not have much problems with the timings (may be because i have a few weak areas mentioned above, so whenever i get problem from that area, i get a sense in 45 seconds, and if i think i am unable to solve the same, i make a guess and move on)

I need special insight on one approach that i am following, is it really worth ?

Whenever i take a gmatclub test, i analyse each and every question. While analyzing the questions , I keep two problems aside and prepare collection of these two types

1) the questions i get wrong
2) The questions that i think has better explanations

I revise these questions from time to time, my apprehension is that am i learning with this approach ? or i am just mugging up the same problems ?. I mean do you think if i study the same problem twice/thrice, does it help ?

Thanks very much your help in advance
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V38
WE: General Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 3

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 04:37
This post received
KUDOS
I feel the strategy being followed by you i.e. revising the problems which went wrong periodically is ok so long as you have understood the pattern, concept and logic of such problems. I also do the same but focus specifically on trap questions, where even if I know the concept, I might stumble. I focus on right questions too and try to find alternate methods to solve them as has been suggested by Ron Purewal in one of his posts.

Please refer to necromonger's post on such trap questions, for which Rajeev has provided link in one of his earlier posts.

Secondly, I feel number properties and modulus/inequalities are two of the most important topics on which you must have excellent control. Since you encounter more of DS questions at higher level and that too from these two specific areas, it is a must to have better control on them.

MGMAT advance maths and GMAT Club tests are certainly must have. GC tests because you are tested on different twists and turns in great detail and by doing them, you can have fairly good understanding on different concepts and GMAT subtleties. I have taken huge advantage of free test period recently and have become fan of these tests. Will buy them for a month (costs $30).

versatile wrote:
Hello,

The thread is so much interesting, can someone help me with my strategy to go from 45 to 49 in Quant

Test Date - 10th Aug
Target score - 49-50 in quant
Earlier Score - 45 in real GMAT and 44-46 in five MGMATs , almost 80% accuracy in the OG (DS+PS)

My analysis === Weaker in Number properties, get hit hard with geometry, co-ordinate geometry, probability and combinations. Take longer with word problems when the question is tougher (but get it right mostly). I think I am bad at DS (mainly because of strategies)

Now, resources i have are
1) MGMAT guides and advanced mgmat and OG
2) GMAT club tests (have taken first five tests - get almost 27/28 right :( , felt demotivated and stopped taking )
3) Grockit
4) Knewton (do not think its much of use )
5) Kaplan Qbanks ( sometimes i feel i have got too many .. don't know )

My confusion

1) Should i start retaking GMATclub tests again ? or do you think that i should first work again on my basics and then start doing gmatclub tests ?
2) I feel pathetic with co-ordinate geometry and geometry (for prob and combi - i have bought the veritas guide, i think i will be good with it)
3) do i require to buy Jeff's Quant collections (advanced one, i think i have enough material for basics)

Can someone please help, i feel too much confused as to what to do ? I do not have much problems with the timings (may be because i have a few weak areas mentioned above, so whenever i get problem from that area, i get a sense in 45 seconds, and if i think i am unable to solve the same, i make a guess and move on)

I need special insight on one approach that i am following, is it really worth ?

Whenever i take a gmatclub test, i analyse each and every question. While analyzing the questions , I keep two problems aside and prepare collection of these two types

1) the questions i get wrong
2) The questions that i think has better explanations

I revise these questions from time to time, my apprehension is that am i learning with this approach ? or i am just mugging up the same problems ?. I mean do you think if i study the same problem twice/thrice, does it help ?

Thanks very much your help in advance
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2012, 05:58
This post received
KUDOS
@ versatile, In addition to what Manjeet suggested, I would suggest you to practice as much as you can esp of the topics that are giving you d max trouble. Besides official material, the other good resources are the gmatclub tests and jeff sackmann's challenge sets( I'm using them and they are good). For extra hard problems , dig into Bunnel's signatures, which are again a good practice . If you do this much, you will be able to score around 50 easily.

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
Now the penultimate month of my prep has started. I'm focusing on my weaknesses that are Inequalities, Probability and coord geometry and also reviewing the error log simultaneously. I am going for Jeff's challenge sets for the weak areas only.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q40 V38
GMAT 3: 630 Q40 V36
GMAT 4: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.81

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 33

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2012, 19:09
"I'm focusing on my weaknesses that are Inequalities, Probability and coord geometry and also reviewing the error log simultaneously."

I know what you mean. These are weaknesses that I have also. But, I went through the MGMAT Equations, Inequalities, & VICs book last month and I am currently going through the MGMAT Word Translations book. By doing this I think that I have improved a great deal with inequalities and probability. In a little over a week from now I will begin studying the MGMAT Geometry book. I think this will help me improve with coordinate geometry. I am going to take another practice test in about two weeks. I am hoping at that time that my hard work shows a good improvement in my score.

I've been going through each of these books two times. It is awfully slow going because there is so much material to cover, but I am hopeful the time investment shows a good improvement in my score.
Intern
Intern
WE 1: IT Consultant (6Yr)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 22:23
Hi Guys,

I have given my GMAT(Real) and scored Q48.I'm really in a fix as how to reach Q50 and where to start my prep for Quant (keeping in mind that i have never attemped GMAT Club Tests,MGMAT Mocks and GMATPrep Mocks).I also sometimes feel that may be i will lose my base if i do not start revising the basic concepts and start working on the 700+ level questions.

Pls if some one can pitch in here and suggest what method i should follow to prep up my quant section.

I intend to do the following this time

1)Revise previous concepts in 1 week and start working with mid level-high level OG and Quant Review
2)Work on Jeff Sackmann's Challenge Questions
3)Work on the MGMAT Advance Quant Strategy
4)Work on Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge Questions
5)GMAT Club Tests
6)MGMAT Mocks & GMATPrep Mocks

I can dedicate 25-30hrs/wk on regular basis and my GMAT is scheduled for Nov End.

Experts, if you can please enlighten me here

Thanks
Jatin :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 264

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 23:15
jsahni123 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have given my GMAT(Real) and scored Q48.I'm really in a fix as how to reach Q50 and where to start my prep for Quant (keeping in mind that i have never attemped GMAT Club Tests,MGMAT Mocks and GMATPrep Mocks).I also sometimes feel that may be i will lose my base if i do not start revising the basic concepts and start working on the 700+ level questions.

Pls if some one can pitch in here and suggest what method i should follow to prep up my quant section.

I intend to do the following this time

1)Revise previous concepts in 1 week and start working with mid level-high level OG and Quant Review
2)Work on Jeff Sackmann's Challenge Questions
3)Work on the MGMAT Advance Quant Strategy
4)Work on Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Challenge Questions
5)GMAT Club Tests
6)MGMAT Mocks & GMATPrep Mocks

I can dedicate 25-30hrs/wk on regular basis and my GMAT is scheduled for Nov End.

Experts, if you can please enlighten me here

Thanks
Jatin :)

Hi Jatin, I'm no expert here however, i can throw my two cents based on my experience.
You've scored 48 in real, a score that reflects that you have adequate understanding of the concepts and the application part of it. It is 48 and not 50 because of either inability to solve 720+ level questions or careless errors. If you want to reduce careless errors , you may like to read Karishma's comments on page 1 of this thread and If you want to gather the arsenal required to solve toughest/trickiest questions, you can use either the MGMAT Advanced quant with jeff extreme challenge sets or The gmatclub quant tests.
IMHO, time can be better spent in converting verbal to your strong forte rather than pushing quant to 50.
In the end, Reviewing errors is the most important part of the study regimen, so do give due importance to it.
best of luck :)

Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 06:51
If you have access to GMAT Club tests, filter by 700 level questions, you will get 200 PS and 200 DS problem. Solving these questions will surely increase your score. These questions are brutal though.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 04:03
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks to you for opening this thread, and my wishes so that you achieve the score you are looking for.

It has been great to read the suggestions from people on this thread.

I am trying to balance my Quant material amongst - OG13, MGMAT Advanced and GMATCLUB Tests, what do you suggest how should I plan to learn the maxim out of these 3 sources. I have around a month's time and re-taking GMAT within next 2 months. My previous scores in Q vary from 47 to 49. I would want to hit 49 this time so that my overall breaches the elusive 700+ mark.

Any suggestion / strategy would be welcome. Thanks.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 264

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 11:07
methevoid wrote:
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks to you for opening this thread, and my wishes so that you achieve the score you are looking for.

It has been great to read the suggestions from people on this thread.

I am trying to balance my Quant material amongst - OG13, MGMAT Advanced and GMATCLUB Tests, what do you suggest how should I plan to learn the maxim out of these 3 sources. I have around a month's time and re-taking GMAT within next 2 months. My previous scores in Q vary from 47 to 49. I would want to hit 49 this time so that my overall breaches the elusive 700+ mark.

Any suggestion / strategy would be welcome. Thanks.

Hi buddy, Thanx for the appreciation and good wishes!
I have done the two official books( incl the supplement), MGMAt ADV quant and The GMATCLUB TESTS( 15 of them).
Although I'm no expert but if you ask me to assess these three and list them priority wise then i would suggest you to do:-
1) MGMAT Advanced quant first....learn the concepts taught from chapter 1 to 8. practice them in the 150 questions given in the end.
2) If you are running short of time and you have to select either og 13 and gmatclub tests, then just do last 50 questions of PS and DS of OG 13. If time is not a problem, then dig into gmatclub tests( especially the new ones).
3) Since, you are already scoring around 47 , so you need not to do the first 2/3 of the quant questions in OG 13.

Hope that helps.

Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 48

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 01:11
Hi Rajeev,

Thanks for your suggestions will definitely complete MGMAT Advanced Quant and follow it up the GMAT Club Tests.

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
Ok guys, I'm back and this time to do the things differently. Per my time plan, I would be allotting about 30% of the time to quant and 70% to verbal.
Three things that i intend to do differently in quant:-
1) Follow the logical approach rather than the traditional mechanical approach of solving problems.
2) Filter the concept topics in terms of strengths and weaknesses and lay more stress on weaknesses. Practice less and review more by maintaining an error log.
3) Self-Discipline. ( not to loose momentum in between)
Although my major focus is on verbal, however, i think i still can push quant from 49 to 51 without any major efforts. I will keep this thread moving till my retake.
Cheers :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2012, 08:41
Kudos for such a good post. I am also in same situation. But today, I give GC Test (free one) and got 29 correct out of 37 i.e. q51. I am planning to give one GC Quant test in alternate days and check the concept for all the wrong answers and for all the correct ans for which I took more than 2 mins.

I think , we just have to prepare our self for the patterns and tricks which GMAT applies using basic concepts

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Re: The Final Climb: Quest for Q 50+ from Q47/48   [#permalink] 20 Nov 2012, 08:41