Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Final Decision

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 14

The Final Decision [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 07:06
Hi Folks @admissionado,
I seek thy wisdom once again as i come to crossroads of making the final and one of the most important decision .

So, currently I have two admits :
1) Washinton University-olin business school ($10k/sem scholarship)

2 ) ISB- Hyderabad (500,000 INR scholarship)

I have been contemplating which one to go even before i got the result of ISB and i am pretty sure that i am utterly confused right now.

I have made a pros and cons list for both.
1) Short term goal achievement : I want to end up in Management consulting arena post my mba and although ISB does provide greater opportunities but the competition there is insane (with an ever-growing batch size of 770 !!). At olin, out of the MBBB only couple of Bs come and some other boutique consulting firms (which, from what i have heard does not sponsor visa). At olin the batch size is just 140 !

2) Investment: $30,000 in ISB and $80,000 at olin (all expenses covered). Not thinking much in terms of investment right now(naive in that arena i guess).

3) Country diff: Really want to come to diff culture and study in different country other than India. Coming to US was once a dream but as an indian going to ISB was also a dream ! *confused*

4) Visa risk : Well, the bill to increase the H1B numbers is still pending with congress, although it was approved last june ! and I recently realised MBA does not come under the STEM category (Used to think that M stands for management *Facepalm*) ..
i have talked to current students at olin and 3-4 out of 10 job postings offer visa.. and according to the Career center director at olin, last year almost 1/4 of the international students returned to their home country . If i am going to invest 80k, the thought of going back to India and repay my loan in INR scares the hell out of me ! I think this is a risk which is always there with a school in early 20s ranking !

5) Branded for Life : Olin does carry a brand name in mid-west but i believe its not that famous in other areas . For ISB, well, in India its the best ! even scoring few points above IIM-Ahmedabad despite its huge batch size ! Any advice here ?

6)DUration of program : the two programs are completely different . Initially i wanted to go for a two a program which would help me understand and transition into post MBA role.
ISB is a 51-week roller coster, i will graduate by this time next year for crying out loud ! !! but the seniors at ISB say "it will transform you, so what if you sleep 4 hours a day for a year" .. it will definitely save me year of my life (opportunity costs will run high !) The number of academic hours put in ISB is equal to a two a year program but there will be less time to do anything else..
For a two year program i can do much more .. improve myself in so many ways.. *utterly confused !!*

Did i miss anything ? Is there any other factors i should be considering ?
Additional advice from you guys ??

Thanks ton in advance.

Lin
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 535 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Final Decision [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2014, 09:50
Expert's post
linzhouu wrote:
Hi Folks @admissionado,
I seek thy wisdom once again as i come to crossroads of making the final and one of the most important decision .

So, currently I have two admits :
1) Washinton University-olin business school ($10k/sem scholarship)

2 ) ISB- Hyderabad (500,000 INR scholarship)

I have been contemplating which one to go even before i got the result of ISB and i am pretty sure that i am utterly confused right now.

I have made a pros and cons list for both.
1) Short term goal achievement : I want to end up in Management consulting arena post my mba and although ISB does provide greater opportunities but the competition there is insane (with an ever-growing batch size of 770 !!). At olin, out of the MBBB only couple of Bs come and some other boutique consulting firms (which, from what i have heard does not sponsor visa). At olin the batch size is just 140 !

2) Investment: $30,000 in ISB and $80,000 at olin (all expenses covered). Not thinking much in terms of investment right now(naive in that arena i guess).

3) Country diff: Really want to come to diff culture and study in different country other than India. Coming to US was once a dream but as an indian going to ISB was also a dream ! *confused*

4) Visa risk : Well, the bill to increase the H1B numbers is still pending with congress, although it was approved last june ! and I recently realised MBA does not come under the STEM category (Used to think that M stands for management *Facepalm*) ..
i have talked to current students at olin and 3-4 out of 10 job postings offer visa.. and according to the Career center director at olin, last year almost 1/4 of the international students returned to their home country . If i am going to invest 80k, the thought of going back to India and repay my loan in INR scares the hell out of me ! I think this is a risk which is always there with a school in early 20s ranking !

5) Branded for Life : Olin does carry a brand name in mid-west but i believe its not that famous in other areas . For ISB, well, in India its the best ! even scoring few points above IIM-Ahmedabad despite its huge batch size ! Any advice here ?

6)DUration of program : the two programs are completely different . Initially i wanted to go for a two a program which would help me understand and transition into post MBA role.
ISB is a 51-week roller coster, i will graduate by this time next year for crying out loud ! !! but the seniors at ISB say "it will transform you, so what if you sleep 4 hours a day for a year" .. it will definitely save me year of my life (opportunity costs will run high !) The number of academic hours put in ISB is equal to a two a year program but there will be less time to do anything else..
For a two year program i can do much more .. improve myself in so many ways.. *utterly confused !!*

Did i miss anything ? Is there any other factors i should be considering ?
Additional advice from you guys ??

Thanks ton in advance.

Lin

Lin,
Tough call here. But it's great that you write in such detail. Basically if I read what you write here, your question boils down to: Should I take the high risk/high return option or the low risk/low return. I would love to be able to tell you: dude, go HERE! But really for such a decision, you are probably better off leaning on friends and family. I would say though that putting aside the risk of not getting a visa job for a moment, what do you really want? Do you really want this abroad experience? Would you consider living int he US for a long time? How would this affect your professional life? Your personal life? Would you PREFER to make your way in India? I mean a few years work in the US (which is not guaranteed, but even as your stats report, probable), will likely jump your salary tot he point where the tuition difference will be negligible.

But of course life is about a lot more than salary...
:)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!