Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 146

Kudos [?]: 914 [0], given: 873

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 12:11
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:31) correct 24% (00:44) wrong based on 50 sessions
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.
(A) integrated more closely than never before and
(B) closely integrated more than ever before so
(C) more closely integrated as never before while
(D) more closely integrated than ever before and that
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as

I shortlisted Choice B and D and between them went for Choice B However D is correct.

Cause is X so effect is Y
Choice B = World's capital markets are closely interacted more than ever before(Cause) so events in one part of the global village may be trans.......(Effect)
Choice D = That the World's capital markets are more closely interacted than ever before(Effect 1) and that events in one part of the global village may be trans....(Effect 2)

why the cause-effect relationship established by choice B is wrong?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 2416 [1] , given: 693

Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 13:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abhijitlandge wrote:
The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the world’s capital markets are integrated more closely than never before and events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.
(A) integrated more closely than never before and
(C) more closely integrated as never before while
(E) more than ever before closely integrated as

I shortlisted Choice B and D and between them went for Choice B However D is correct.

Cause is X so effect is Y
Choice B = World's capital markets are closely interacted more than ever before(Cause) so events in one part of the global village may be trans.......(Effect)
Choice D = That the World's capital markets are more closely interacted than ever before(Effect 1) and that events in one part of the global village may be trans....(Effect 2)

why the cause-effect relationship established by choice B is wrong?

That............that is the right parallel structure

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 08:43
Even I don't get this one. Coincidentally , I have the same doubt as posted by the thread starter.

The Crash demonstrated that MARKETS ARE INTEGRATED MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
AND
AS A RESULT
EVENTS ARE TRANSMITTED.

Implicitly, the markets are so integrated now than ever before that events are transmitted blah blah.....

What is wrong with option (B).

I know there is a parallel structure of ...that and ....that. However, knowing that GMAT is becoming meaning based now a days, the meaning would get preference over grammatical structure.

So first we will have to get the idea presented in the original sentence then only we can come to grammar, and IMHO my observation like thread starter's is correct.

For instance:

Original :BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Per the meaning of this sentence we know that the DESTRUCTION LED 'people of the nearby villages went missing'.So, even if we have a "...that....that" parallel marker , we cannot justify the parallelism here.

Corrected version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Notice the use of THUS as a connector in COMBO with AND.

I hope I would have given a better example, but I am handicapped to think a better one.

Please advise !

Rgds,
TGC!

1 KUDOS received
Neeley Thread Master
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 65 [1] , given: 69

Reviews Badge
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 11:05
This post received
KUDOS
TGC wrote:
Even I don't get this one. Coincidentally , I have the same doubt as posted by the thread starter.

The Crash demonstrated that MARKETS ARE INTEGRATED MORE THAN EVER BEFORE
AND
AS A RESULT
EVENTS ARE TRANSMITTED.

Implicitly, the markets are so integrated now than ever before that events are transmitted blah blah.....

What is wrong with option (B).

I know there is a parallel structure of ...that and ....that. However, knowing that GMAT is becoming meaning based now a days, the meaning would get preference over grammatical structure.

So first we will have to get the idea presented in the original sentence then only we can come to grammar, and IMHO my observation like thread starter's is correct.

For instance:

Original :BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Per the meaning of this sentence we know that the DESTRUCTION LED 'people of the nearby villages went missing'.So, even if we have a "...that....that" parallel marker , we cannot justify the parallelism here.

Corrected version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Notice the use of THUS as a connector in COMBO with AND.

I hope I would have given a better example, but I am handicapped to think a better one.

Please advise !

Let me try.

Going by the meaning:

Original: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages and that the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Your interpretation of the above sentence is wrong. The above sentence means that BBC reported two things :
-> Tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages.
-> The people of the villages are missing.

So, this is the intended meaning and is the correct choice.

Your Version: BBC reported that tsunami destroyed the nearby coastal villages , and THUS the people of the nearby villages went missing.

Here, this sentence is connected by Conjunction "and", thereby joining two clauses.
It implies that BBC reported some event and as a result of reporting done by BBC, the people of the villages went missing. WRONG
The people of the villages did not go missing because of the reporting done by BBC.

If you apply the above logic, Only D is the correct choice as per the meaning. Let me know if it makes sense.

The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated two things:
1) the world’s capital markets are more closely integrated than ever before
2) events in one part of the global village may be transmitted to the rest of the village—almost instantaneously.
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: ISB '16
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 312

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 11:21
I presume that I gave a wrong example and reasoning.

How about this one:

The research shows that the global warming is peaking and that the glaciers are melting.

Clearly, the idea of 'glaciers' should subordinate the idea of global warming peaking.

Rgds,
TGC!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 146

Kudos [?]: 914 [1] , given: 873

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 18:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Narenn wrote:

Hello Guys,

Thanks for taking this issue up.

I just consulted with Matt Douglas (The Host of GMATT Mondays). In his opinion, Choice D is correct because the descriptive word more properly placed ahead of the term it modifies i.e. closely integrated. Choice B is wrong for the same reason.

If more is the direct object, then it can be placed after verb but when we use more as an adjective, it should be placed ahead of the term it modifies.

Thanks

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Re: The financial crash of October 1987 demonstrated that the   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2013, 18:49