Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first commercially successful drama to depict Black

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

The first commercially successful drama to depict Black [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 12:14
The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, it was Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun that won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and was later made into both a film and a musical.

A. it was Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun that won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and was later made
B. in 1959 A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award and was later made
C. Lorraine Hansberry won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award for A Raisin in the Sun in 1959, and it was later made
D. Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959 and was later made
E. A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and later made it
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 12:19
E

I think the question checks for modifier.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 12:23
So mechanized have we become with the sentence correction that before the question reading is done we know what to expect. I did not even read this sentence completely. E

:thanks Gmatclub
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 12:26
D and E are contenders. D is best as "being made" needs passive form. The play did not "make it" by itself, rather, it "was made" into those other art forms

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 20:00
D, my choice.

in E, "and later made it" suggests as if Lorraine H. made the drama into movie. But the logical meaning should say that the drama was later produced into a movie.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2004, 20:07
D looks good to me.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2004, 05:05
D is the OA
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 04:43
What is wrong with B? Can somebody elaborate on this plz.
S

Regards, S

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 06:08
I would have picked E on the test. :cry: but looking at "and later made it" i realize it has to be (D)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 07:30
D is my initial Pick!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 08:24
saurya_s wrote:
S

B) The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, in 1959 A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award and was later made into both a film and a musical

I see 2 problems with B.
Uno, and most importantly, the verb "was" does properly modify the compound subject in blue.
Dos, the 2 prepositional phrases are ambiguous as to which subject they modify. Do they modify only "the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway" when they should really modify both of these subjects? I also don't like the use of multiple prepositional phrases split by commas to modify a subject.

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2005, 10:49
D. Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959 and was later made

E. A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and later made it

D is better, because E suggest the play made itself into movie.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2005, 13:02
saurya_s wrote:
S

The award was in 1959 and the movie was later. B made it sound like in 1959 two things happened.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

Re: first commercially successful drama [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2005, 19:04
falcor wrote:
The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, it was Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun that won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and was later made into both a film and a musical.

A. it was Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun that won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959, and was later made
B. in 1959 A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award and was later made
C. Lorraine Hansberry won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award for A Raisin in the Sun in 1959, and it was later made

D.

We must have the drama name as the appositive for the foregoing clauses. So, D,E left.

It's 'the drama was made in to a film', we need passive voice.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 04:34
Paul wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
S

B) The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, in 1959 A Raisin in the Sun, by Lorraine Hansberry, won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award and was later made into both a film and a musical

I see 2 problems with B.
Uno, and most importantly, the verb "was" does properly modify the compound subject in blue.
Dos, the 2 prepositional phrases are ambiguous as to which subject they modify. Do they modify only "the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway" when they should really modify both of these subjects? I also don't like the use of multiple prepositional phrases split by commas to modify a subject.

Hi, Paul, sorry for reproposing this question.
In choice B, I think the sentence "The first commercially ....and the first play..." is the appositive of Raisin in the sun. The subject should be Raisin in the sun. I supposed there is no subjec-verb agreement doubt.

Can you explain why B is wrong again?

Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 05:19
The first part of the sentence serves as a opening modifier the movie.

So (A) is out --> use of 'it' is not desirable

(B), by putting in 1959 immediately after the modifying phrase makes the sentence illogical.

(C), modifying the wrong noun

(D) - best choice. Modifying the correct noun, and 'later made' is perfectly right

(E) - modifying the right noun, but 'later made it' is awkward.

D is the best choice
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 05:46
Paul wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
S

I see 2 problems with B.

2 Questions:

#1: When we use compound subjects you have to use plural verbs.

E.g: Jack and Jill solve [not solves] the problem

But how do you know whether when a verb is used in the past tense if its singular or plural.

E.g: Jack and Jill solved the problem. Is "solved" singular or plural? More importantly, in the past tense could the same verb be singular and plural

He solved the problem ---> Here solved is singular.

Jack and Jill solved the problem ----> Here solved is plural

Do i have the concepts pat down?

Another general question: Isnt the conjuction "and" a coordinating conjuction. Therefore it must link things that are EQUAL.

<> AND <>

So whatever is included in the "<>" precending "AND" must structurally be equal to the "<>" succeeding the "AND".

phrase AND phrase

Clause AND Clause

etc, etc.

The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959 and was later made into both [a flim and a musical].

How are the parts of the sentence in blue equal?

Last edited by gmataquaguy on 13 Apr 2005, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 11:42
good test of both proper modification and logical structure
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2005, 14:10
Yes it is D, i was so demoralized after reading the first two posts, felt really stupid.
but i think this is important to see,
the award was won by her book
another way to put it
she won the award for her book or
she won the award in recognition of her book
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2005, 13:56
gmataquaguy wrote:
Paul wrote:
saurya_s wrote:
S

I see 2 problems with B.

2 Questions:

#1: When we use compound subjects you have to use plural verbs.

E.g: Jack and Jill solve [not solves] the problem

But how do you know whether when a verb is used in the past tense if its singular or plural.

E.g: Jack and Jill solved the problem. Is "solved" singular or plural? More importantly, in the past tense could the same verb be singular and plural

He solved the problem ---> Here solved is singular.

Jack and Jill solved the problem ----> Here solved is plural

Do i have the concepts pat down?

Another general question: Isnt the conjuction "and" a coordinating conjuction. Therefore it must link things that are EQUAL.

<> AND <>

So whatever is included in the "<>" precending "AND" must structurally be equal to the "<>" succeeding the "AND".

phrase AND phrase

Clause AND Clause

etc, etc.

The first commercially successful drama to depict Black family life sympathetically and the first play by a Black woman to be produced on Broadway, Lorraine Hansberry’s A Raisin in the Sun won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Award in 1959 and was later made into both [a flim and a musical].

How are the parts of the sentence in blue equal?

Could someone please respond to this post.

Paul/HongHu/DJ/Anandnk/BB/ Could you pls help
  [#permalink] 13 Apr 2005, 13:56