Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1329 [150]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [26]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
AGSM Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 713 [14]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q49 V28
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [7]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
nelz007 wrote:
The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.

A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch
B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's
C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch
D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch
E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch

IMO B. What does the answer guide say?

The non-underlined part start with were unable to perform..., whose subject should computers, as dictated by the meaning, not H/w or S/W
A has a comparison problem - you have limitationS in the 1st half but you that in the 2nd half of the comparison. that is singular but we need those to compare it with "limitationS"
So go with B.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT Date: 09-12-2013
Send PM
Re: The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitati [#permalink]
Vineetk wrote:
A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch: Incorrect. that of should be those of
B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's: Correct.
C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch. Incorrect. Changes the subject for second clause.
D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch. Incorrect Changes the subject for second clause.
E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch. Incorrect. Changes the subject for second clause.

I am still confuse about - THAT. :cry:
Is that singular or plural..?
for eg: Expectations that are fulfilled ....<insert something>.. ..
Here that ----> expectations----->plural.

Someone plz clarify. :roll: :shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's: Correct.

The X had many problems similar to Y. The comparison is between personal computers and wristwatch. Not between problems of computers and problems of wristwatch.
That of/ those of is not required

Correct me if I am wrong..!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [3]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
adityapagadala wrote:

The X had many problems similar to Y. The comparison is between personal computers and wristwatch. Not between problems of computers and problems of wristwatch.
That of/ those of is not required

Correct me if I am wrong..!!

IMO no it is not comparison between computer and wristwatch...rather
comparison is between problems of computer and problems of wristwatch.
we dont need that of / those of because WRISTWATCH'S (posessive form is already their.
THAT OF /THOSE OF is required when ONLY WRISTWATCH is present.

HOPE it is clear.
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4595 [4]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A good question, it involves importance of focus on non underlined portion to identify the right answer.

The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch and so were unable to perform the complex operations necessary for today's processor-intensive applications.

A) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to that of a modern wristwatch -- no proper reference of that available.

B) The first personal computers had severe hardware and software limitations similar to a modern wristwatch's -- comparison is ok also subject matches with sentence in non underlined part.

C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch -- comparison is ok -- but limitations does not qualifies as logical subject of non underlined portion.

D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch -- similar to C

E) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to that of a modern wristwatch -- same as A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi chetan2u / daagh,

I have 1 doubt on on this question. Please help

What is the difference between Option C and D
C) The severe hardware and software limitations of the first personal computers were similar to those of a modern wristwatch
D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch.

I have learnt that we we try to avoid possessive's of non living thing.

Eg-
Scenario 1:
A) The shoes of Jim.
B) Jim's shoes.

Here we give preference to B.

Scenario 2:
A) The ABC law of government.
B) Government's ABC law.

Here we give preference to A.

In the above-mentioned examples its just the question of preferences but actually the meaning is same. (Correct me if I am wrong)

What to do if we come across any options like in this question.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Quote:
D) The first personal computers' severe hardware and software limitations were similar to those of a modern wristwatch.

this is more of a guide line and not a POINTER to eliminate any choice; the logic is that NON LIVING things CANNOT possess but i have seen a OFFICIAL SC in which this RULE IS FLOUTED . so YES to ELIMINATE C and D it is better you go with the PARALLELISM issue as both are WRONG in that CONTEXT
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
Quote:

this is more of a guide line and not a POINTER to eliminate any choice; the logic is that NON LIVING things CANNOT possess but i have seen a OFFICIAL SC in which this RULE IS FLOUTED . so YES to ELIMINATE C and D it is better you go with the PARALLELISM issue as both are WRONG in that CONTEXT

Hi aditya8062,

Thanks alot for quick reply.

So, in general can we say that.

eg 1- A of B is similar to (that/those) of C.
Here that/those refer to A.

Eg 2- B's A is similar to (that/those) of C.
Here that/those refer to B.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

Originally posted by PrakharGMAT on 11 Jan 2016, 06:03.
Last edited by PrakharGMAT on 11 Jan 2016, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31902 [1]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
RAHKARP27071989 wrote:
Hi chetan2u / daagh,

I have 1 doubt on on this question. Please help

Eg-
Scenario 1:
A) The shoes of Jim.
B) Jim's shoes.

Here we give preference to B.

Scenario 2:
A) The ABC law of government.
B) Government's ABC law.

Here we give preference to A.

In the above-mentioned examples its just the question of preferences but actually the meaning is same. (Correct me if I am wrong)

What to do if we come across any options like in this question.

Please assist.

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar

hi,
It may be correct that few follow the rule avoiding the 'possessive ' of inanimate nouns. But that is not followed in GMAT and most of the cases in real world..
'S or of are ok till the time they are not interfering in the meaning part of it.
Generally this will not be a reason to eliminate a choice..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [3]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Kudos