Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GRE 1: 324 Q161 V163
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 06:52
egmat wrote:
arunmehta89 wrote:

I am not sure but I guess for 'D' to be a correct , a comma is required at the end of option D.............

and option A is written beautifully,correctly explaining the scenario and 'laden with packages' correctly modifying Larry..............

Please correct me if I am wrong !!

Hi Arun,

The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with packages, he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

It is clear that you get the intended meaning of the sentence. You agree that “laden with packages” should modify “Larry”.

According to GMAT, the verb-ed modifier is a noun modifier that should be placed to the entity it modifies as close as possible. Generally, verb-ed modifiers modify the immediate preceding noun or noun phrase.

In this sentence, “laden” is a verb-ed modifier which is places next to ramp. Even if it separated from “ramp” by comma, “ramp” is the immediate preceding noun and per the GMAT, “laden” will modify “ramp”. But this is certainly not the intended meaning of the sentence. Hence, we must put “laden” close to Larry so that there is no modification error.

You can also read this post for the correct usage of verb-ed modifiers:
verb-ed-modifiers-vs-verb-ing-modifiers-125611.html?fl=similar

I do agree that in Choice D, we need a comma after “ramp”. However, placement of comma alone has never been the deterministic issue for eliminating an answer choice. GMAT exclusively does not test the correct placement of punctuations. Moreover, to avoid a punctuation error, which is not even an error per GMAT, we are committing a graver error of modification by choosing A. Now modifiers are certainly deterministic errors to eliminate an answer choice.
Hence, we must choose the most ideal answer choice and that is choice D.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha ,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but why can't the answer choice be B. -- Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp . In this sentence , is it not possible to interpret it as Larry fell down the first time he walked with packages down the ramp. Or are there any indicators in the sentence that I am missing ?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1270

Kudos [?]: 3549 [2] , given: 185

Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arvind410 wrote:
Hi Shraddha ,

I'm just thinking out loud here, but why can't the answer choice be B. -- Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp . In this sentence , is it not possible to interpret it as Larry fell down the first time he walked with packages down the ramp. Or are there any indicators in the sentence that I am missing ?

Hi Arvind,
This is the sentence with choice B:

The first time that Larry walked, laden with packages, down the ramp he tripped and nearly dislocated his shoulder.

This choice is incorrect for two reasons:

1. “laden” is a verb-ed modifier. These modifiers are noun modifiers and hence must be placed as close to the entity they modify as possible. In this choice, “laden” is placed after the verb “walked”. This is not accepted in GMAT.
2. “walked down” is a verb phrase. It does not make sense to split this phrase by inserting a modifier in between. This structure makes the entire sentence awkward.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by egmat on 16 Jul 2012, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 6

Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:26
Why isn't the answer E? Wouldn't we want to show the difference between in timing of two events?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 5

Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2012, 08:36
@myvitalsign

(E) complicates the sentence with a "past-past" tense phrase "had walked"...there is no change in timing so no change in tense needed

You use "had walked" if the sentence said something like "When Larry walked down the ramp, he remembered he had tripped at this same spot 5 years ago"....
Here with the word "remembered"--it suggests a transition to the past...therefore you use the "past-past tense"..
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 624 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 02:55
Expert's post
Isn't "laden with packages" an absolute phrase that tells "how Larry walked down the ramp".

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1270

Kudos [?]: 3549 [0], given: 185

Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 07:50
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Isn't "laden with packages" an absolute phrase that tells "how Larry walked down the ramp".

Hi Marcab,

In this sentence, "laden with packages" is verb-ed modifier. On GMAT, a verb-ed modifier only modifies the preceding noun entity and not the entire preceding clause. Now, per the context of the sentence and grammatically also, "laden with packages" should modify "Larry" only and not the whole clause as to how he walked down the ramp.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:07
“laden with packages” modifies Larry. Eliminate A, B and C
E – had not necessary. Eliminate
D – Keep.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2014, 17:38
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The first time that Larry walked down the ramp, laden with   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2014, 17:38