Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 2

The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:29) correct 44% (01:37) wrong based on 851 sessions
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Last edited by dkverma on 08 Aug 2010, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 53 [4] , given: 14

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ok,I did POE and reached at E

First subject is trenches --- anywhere you see yields is out , B and D - out

left with A, C and E - having is almost always wrong on gmat - quickly eliminated C

A has got evidence for and E has got evidence that

evidence that is correct - So,E
Also, not sure whether were arising is correct in A , since the question talks about past - arose is better

Always tag your question

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2010, 22:48
Yep it should be E.
Other options have glaring errors.
A is poorly constructed and doesn't convey the right meaning

Regards
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 01:11
E is for me

trenches is plural, leave A,C,E option.

"cut into...." E is more clear than A.C
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 08:15
Narrowed down to A & E, answer E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 08:56
Narrowed it to A and E....Chose A...My bad!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: First trenches [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2010, 10:28
Good question. I picked wrong option though....:(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 07:56
Ya E by opting past tense and evidence ..for ...b/w(A$E)
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 20:59
dkverma wrote:
The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

A. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East that were arising simultaneously with but
B. that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously with but also
C. having been cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East were arising simultaneously but
D. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, yields strong evidence of centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arising simultaneously but also
E. cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria, have yielded strong evidence that centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East arose simultaneously with but

Between A and E, A is wrong in phrase "evidence for"

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 22:14
evidence that is correct

+1 for E
Intern
Intern

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 13:03
In learning of foundation of prounouns, such as that, I probably have lost the track here!
Isn't "that" suppose to refer to a singular idea/thing?

Q1) Is usage of that appropriate here ? And why?

The first trenches--- that ----were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar,

Shouldn't it be "those" instead of "that", since trenches - the subject is plural? That & were - how do they go along?!!!!!

Q2) Shouldn't it be "those" here, instead of "that"?
If it represents a feeling /noun, then that should follow singular very - is/was ----
"Egypt, have yielded strong evidence for blah blah societies in blah blah ?"that"? were arising simultaneously ....

Q3)
What does prounoun "that" refer to?
Soceities right? (not the middle east)
Then shouldn't it be plural - those??

"Egypt, have yielded strong evidence for blah blah societies in blah blah ?"that"? were arising simultaneously ....

Much appreciate your help !
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 13

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
In learning of foundation of prounouns, such as that, I probably have lost the track here!
Isn't "that" suppose to refer to a singular idea/thing?

Q1) Is usage of that appropriate here ? And why?

Q2) Shouldn't it be "those" here, instead of "that"?

Q3)
What does prounoun "that" refer to?

Yes That is supposed to refer to the singular idea/thing.
A1: Usage of that is inappropriate because you already have a main subject "the trenches". Why would you want to reiterate a subject which already exists immediately after you have introduced it, right? Later on in the sentence it makes sense to refer to it but not immediately after introduction.

A2: No. We should not use either that or those so early on. This is again drawing on answer to point 1.

A3: Correct. That here refers to the complex societies. But is wrongly used. This is the reason why the correct answer eliminates all usage of that completely. There is no ambiguity of that or those at all.
Intern
Intern

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 21:40
Much thanks !
That was interesting !

However, I am still trying to buzz my mind around that/those.
i see some grammer pundits saying, "that" goes even with plural subject.

items produced by this machine are guaranteed to be accurately sized
vs.
items that are produced by this machine are guaranteed to be accurately sized

(there's no real difference here. so, the first one is marginally better, if only because it's more concise)

well, i understand, you dont want "that", immediately after subject.
but lets say if that's not the case....then
Would you justify use of pronoun "that", in such plural verb occasions?

Kedar
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 13

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 21:50
OK, gotcha!!
There is a second point I forgot to mention and one that is tested on the GMAT quite often. The usage of "that" vs."which" as restrictive/non-restrictive pronouns.
-------------------------------------------
Source: GMAT Hacks website.
Here's a handy way to remember the rule: "That" is restrictive, while "which" is non-restrictive. The rule will make more sense after some further discussion.

Consider two similar sentences:

I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago that the Andersons operate.
I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago, which the Andersons operate.
------------------------------------------------
So, the next question: Do that and which refer to plurals or singulars?
They can refer to the whole sentence/noun phrase/noun/pronoun.

So, in summary, that is a pronoun, a restrictive prounoun and pronoun used for comparisons. You should be familiar with each of the usages for GMAT SC.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 28

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2012, 22:20
One more for E.

Going by POE you can easily rule out all the other choices except E. All others have Subject-Verb agreement or Tense errors.

BR
Mandeep
Intern
Intern

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 18:09
First of, thanks for the research, mourinhogmat1 !

Regarding
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Consider two similar sentences:

I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago that the Andersons operate.
I'm staying at the hotel in Chicago, which the Andersons operate.
------------------------------------------------
So, the next question: Do that and which refer to plurals or singulars?
They can refer to the whole sentence/noun phrase/noun/pronoun.

So, in summary, that is a pronoun, a restrictive prounoun and pronoun used for comparisons. You should be familiar with each of the usages for GMAT SC.

Sorry, but I think "that" in above sentence is not used as pronoun. It's used as a starter for a modifier.
The which doesnt really care about the "the andersons operate" (modifier), but on it's antecedant hotel

Take a look at this -
[Incorrect] I am staying at various hotels, which Paris Hilton operates.
[Correct] I am staying at various hotels, that paris hilton operate.

I think instead of studying business, I am doing research on English grammer now :)
Intern
Intern

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 18:13
so I researched more (on english grammer, not in business), and this is what I think -
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
Yes That is supposed to refer to the singular idea/thing.
A1: Usage of that is inappropriate because you already have a main subject "the trenches". Why would you want to reiterate a subject which already exists immediately after you have introduced it, right? Later on in the sentence it makes sense to refer to it but not immediately after introduction.

It's perfectly fine to use that, immediately after the subject. Let it re-iterate itself :)
It's little idomatic-modifier start-up usage.

Welcoming suggestion from all gmat pundits here (including mourinhogmat1) :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 10:49
Was thinking if i should choose E. got trapped by A :(

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [4] , given: 122

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2013, 22:42
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2013gmat wrote:

1)that were cut(verb)
2)cut into(modifier)

then which one should I choose? and are there any specific rules for that???

Thanks for your help always

First, meaning is key to solve this question
The trenches cut into something (Active voice)
--OR--
The trenches were cut into something? (Passive voice)

Clearly, the trenches only cut into something (how the trenches were cut (passive voice) into something? :?: )

Wrong. Passive voice is wrong.

Wrong.
Same as in A. --> Passive voice is wrong.
Trenches is plural --> "yields" is wrong.
Wrong idiom: but also (the correct one is: not only... but also)

Wrong. "having been cut" is ungrammatical.

Wrong idiom: but also (the correct one is: not only... but also)

Correct.
Active voice "the trenches cut into something" <-- correct.
Contrast meaning: arose simultaneously with but independently.... <-- correct.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 137 [0], given: 63

Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 20:37
The first trenches ...

that were cut into a 500-acre site at Tell Hamoukar, Syria,

Contd...have yielded strong evidence for centrally administered complex societies in northern regions of the Middle East

that( Refers to societies) were arising simultaneously with but independently of the more celebrated city-states of southern Mesopotamia, in what is now southern Iraq.

I have a question regarding the idiom "Evidence that", "Evidence for" and "Evidence of". Evidence that is the right idiom? It was between A and E ( I eliminated A cos it was passive voice) Others had subject-verb agreement issues ( yields)
Re: The first trenches that were cut into a 500-acre site at   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 20:37