Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 May 2015, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 28

The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 02:16
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (01:52) correct 55% (00:54) wrong based on 128 sessions
The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Bristow born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry.

(A) born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(B) was born in 1832 and had served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25'h Kentucky Infantry

(C) born in 1832 and appointee in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1875. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(D) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

Last edited by solarzj on 03 Jun 2012, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 21 [5] , given: 19

Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Brist [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
solarzj wrote:
The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Bristow born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry.

(A) born in 1832 and served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(B) was born in 1832 and had served in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25'h Kentucky Infantry

(C) born in 1832 and appointee in the Grant administration from 1874 to 1875. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(D) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow had served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky Infantry

(E) as born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Tarlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny

I think the last option should read

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny[/quote]

Then option E is the right answer. Assuming option E has the changes above,

We would use the past perfect tense if we need to clearly establish a sequence of events which otherwise would be unclear/non obvious in the sentence.

ex: I had left the party when the murder happened.

This indicates that the action -- leaving the party happened before the murder. The "had left" past perfect tense is critical in establishing this sequence.

In the given sentence since timelines are explicitly stated, the sequence of events are very obvious. There is no need to use the past perfect tense. The preference would be to use simple past.

Looking at the options:

We can quickly eliminate A,B and D as they use "had served" in one format or the other. We are left with C and E.

Sentence C can be a run on without the "was" after the comma. So we can eliminate C as well. It also uses the "appointee" instead of "served".

Right answer is E.

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q32 V30
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 28

Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. Brist [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 11:27
gomennassai wrote:
I think the last option should read

(E) was born in 1832 and served in the Grand administration from 1874 to 1876. Earlier in his life, Bristow served as a lieutenant colonel in the 25th Kentucky fanny

Then option E is the right answer. Assuming option E has the changes above,

We would use the past perfect tense if we need to clearly establish a sequence of events which otherwise would be unclear/non obvious in the sentence.

ex: I had left the party when the murder happened.

This indicates that the action -- leaving the party happened before the murder. The "had left" past perfect tense is critical in establishing this sequence.

In the given sentence since timelines are explicitly stated, the sequence of events are very obvious. There is no need to use the past perfect tense. The preference would be to use simple past.

Looking at the options:

We can quickly eliminate A,B and D as they use "had served" in one format or the other. We are left with C and E.

Sentence C can be a run on without the "was" after the comma. So we can eliminate C as well. It also uses the "appointee" instead of "served".

Right answer is E.

Absolutely right. I corrected answer choice E.

Give kudos if you find my post helpful ;)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2012, 20:31
Strike 1: Verb tense - had is not required as timelines are Already said.
Strike 2: appointee changes meaning

Posted from my mobile device Image

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Manager
Manager
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 407

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 05:36
solarzj wrote:

I have a query. Why is D wrong here? Why we wont be using "Had served" ? is it because its already mentioned "Earlier in his life"? Case of redundancy?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 174

Kudos [?]: 791 [0], given: 643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H. [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2014, 21:12
akankshasoneja wrote:
solarzj wrote:

I have a query. Why is D wrong here? Why we wont be using "Had served" ? is it because its already mentioned "Earlier in his life"? Case of redundancy?

Hi,

D is wrong here, because it uses "had" which is not required here as the time lines are clearly stated in the sentence. Hence simple past tense should be used.

Hope that clears your doubt.

ISB Class of 2017
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2016 | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview for Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview for Class of 2014

Re: The first United States Solicitor General, Benjamin H.   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2014, 21:12