Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 19:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The five senses have traditionally been viewed as distinct

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 264

The five senses have traditionally been viewed as distinct [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 22:19
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (02:30) correct 40% (01:37) wrong based on 120 sessions
The five senses have traditionally been viewed as distinct yet complementary. Each sense is thought to have its own range of stimuli that are incapable of stimulating the other senses. However, recent research has discovered that some people taste a banana and claim that they are tasting blue, or see a color and say that it has a specific smell. This shows that such people, called synesthesiacs, have senses that do not respect the usual boundaries between the five recognized senses.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Synesthesiacs demonstrate a general, systematic impairment in their ability to use and understand words.
(B) Recent evidence strongly suggests that there are other senses besides sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste.
(C) The particular ways in which sensory experiences overlap in synesthesiacs follow a definite pattern.
(D) The synesthetic phenomenon has been described in the legends of various cultures.
(E) Synesthesiacs can be temporarily rid of their synesthetic experiences by the use of drugs.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 21 Sep 2012, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 48

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 01:11
This post received
KUDOS
getgyan wrote:
The five senses have traditionally been viewed as distinct yet complementary. Each sense is thought to have its own range of stimuli that are incapable of stimulating the other senses. However, recent research has discovered that some people taste a banana and claim that they are tasting blue, or see a color and say that it has a specific smell. This shows that such people, called synesthesiacs, have senses that do not respect the usual boundaries between the five recognized senses.

Which one of the following statements, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

(A) Synesthesiacs demonstrate a general, systematic impairment in their ability to use and understand words.
(B) Recent evidence strongly suggests that there are other senses besides sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste.
(C) The particular ways in which sensory experiences overlap in synesthesiacs follow a definite pattern.
(D) The synesthetic phenomenon has been described in the legends of various cultures.
(E) Synesthesiacs can be temporarily rid of their synesthetic experiences by the use of drugs.

[A] :!: is it?

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Account Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 34

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 01:21
This post received
KUDOS
The conclusion that synesthesiacs have senses the work outside of the nomal boundaries is based on reports that they ‘hear’ smells or ‘taste’ colours. But what if they ‘smell’ smells and ‘see’ colours, but their ability to articulate this is poor? For example if I was a synesthesiac, and I looked at a blue wall and reported it as sweet, how would anyone in the outside world know if I was actually seeing sweet or whether I was seeing blue but getting my words confussed and reporting it as sweet? No one would, therefore you couldn’t definitively say that my senses were wandering over their boundaries because you couldn’t be sure I wasn’t simply misreporting.

Therefore I vote A.

OA?

In the study cave!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 264

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 01:44
+1 A

You are right again Skientist :)

It is a weaken type question

Premise - The five senses have traditionally been viewed as distinct yet complementary. Each sense is thought to have its own range of stimuli that are incapable of stimulating the other senses

Conclusion - However, recent research has discovered that some people taste a banana and claim that they are tasting blue, or see a color and say that it has a specific smell. This shows that such people, called synesthesiacs, have senses that do not respect the usual boundaries between the five recognized senses.

Anything which weakens our conclusion is our answer.

(A) Synesthesiacs demonstrate a general, systematic impairment in their ability to use and understand words. (This shows that the mistake done by them is not because of the sense-boundary-respect issue but because of some type of impairment in their ability to understand words. This weakens the conclusion and is thus our answer)

:-D

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 276

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 10:22
This post received
KUDOS
getgyan wrote:

(B) Recent evidence strongly suggests that there are other senses besides sight, touch, smell, hearing, and taste. This does not weaken or strenghten
(C) The particular ways in which sensory experiences overlap in synesthesiacs follow a definite pattern. This does not weaken or strenghten. Just an extra premise
(D) The synesthetic phenomenon has been described in the legends of various cultures. Out of scope
Out of scope

The answer is A. The explanation is given above.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 04-21-2013
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 8

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 10:31
getgyan wrote:

getgyan,
Is this a 700 level question or was it wrongly tagged?

KPV

Current Student

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 19:33
abhishekkpv wrote:
getgyan wrote:

getgyan,

Hi Abhishekkpv

It was not wrongly tagged. I felt, so I did.
If you have any suggestion on what the tag should be, please let me know.

:)

Last edited by getgyan on 23 Sep 2012, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.33
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 20:12
getgyan wrote:
abhishekkpv wrote:
getgyan wrote:

getgyan,

Hi Abhishekkpv

It was not wrongly tagged. I felt so I did.
If you have any suggestion on what the tag should be, please let me know.

:-D

Its a cause and effect weakening question, where in an alternate cause gives us the conclusion by eliminating the cause given in the argument.

Not a 700+ ques, but certainly a 600-700 level.

Took around a minute for this.

You want something, go get it . Period !

Current Student

Re: The five senses have traditionally been [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 20:18
ankit0411 wrote:
Its a cause and effect weakening question, where in an alternate cause gives us the conclusion by eliminating the cause given in the argument.

Not a 700+ ques, but certainly a 600-700 level.

Took around a minute for this.

Hi Ankit

Thanks for the suggestion, really appreciate it.

Cheers! :)

Re: The five senses have traditionally been   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2012, 20:18