Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The floodgates really opened today

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The floodgates really opened today [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 13:56
For the past few weeks, we've had a few perspective applicants per week sitting in on class. Today, we had 7+ people in each of three classes (over 20 people just for our section). Looks like people are starting to get serious. Boy am I glad all that is behind me.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:00
Lucky you....a few more weeks and the flood gates of butterfly stomachs, and nervous wrecks will invade GMATclub
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 247

Kudos [?]: 1512 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:06
Same here.....
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:23
Oh noes!

They've already started visiting schools!!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:33
As a first year, I would kind of find that annoying. You barely have your feet wet and they're filling your classes with potential clients.

I suppose you can't do that with 2nd years b/c most 2nd year courses are electives, but . . .
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:35
I think Darden had an "open day" today- that could be the reason why you saw the increase in number of prospectives :)
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 14:43
I haven't seen many prospects yet. Only a handful of people who knew people in the section, overall less than 1/day.

L.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 15:31
lepium wrote:
I haven't seen many prospects yet. Only a handful of people who knew people in the section, overall less than 1/day.

L.

I hope to be visiting soon. I will be up there this Saturday just to walk around campus and get some Ethiopian food (I only live 1.5 hours away), but I hope to come back up for a class in the next few weeks.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 15:39
grad_mba and I had a horrible experience when we went to HBS couple of weeks ago. Eventhough we visited unofficially, one would expect the admissions office to be a little more friendly. We asked "is there anything we can do to make our visit productive" and they practically kicked us out. They could have atleast directed us to a couple of student hang-outs.

I hope others have a better experience.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 15:55
Duke's official visit period also opened today. Woohoo!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 17:14
ncprasad wrote:
grad_mba and I had a horrible experience when we went to HBS couple of weeks ago. Eventhough we visited unofficially, one would expect the admissions office to be a little more friendly. We asked "is there anything we can do to make our visit productive" and they practically kicked us out. They could have atleast directed us to a couple of student hang-outs.

That sucks, my visit will most likely be somewhat unofficial.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 17:17
jjanders wrote:
ncprasad wrote:

That sucks, my visit will most likely be somewhat unofficial.

i visited wharton today. probably 8 students in the admissions office visiting classes as well.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 17:57
My visits at H and W were both unofficial .. but thankfully I didn't have as bad an experience as prasad and grad_mba did. In fact I really enjoyed my time at W and got to talk to a lot of people. The adcom people at both the places were pretty friendly too. Although you can tell that "superiority" kinda oozes from everything at H.

So maybe experiences vary from day to day and from adcom person to person.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 327 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2007, 19:40
well, I'm doing my official visit runs in the next 2 weeks for Stanford/Haas/UCLA. Looking forward to the classes!
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 17:29
ncprasad wrote:

The thing is that the system is not really put in place yet, so if you visit unofficially it's up to the person you know to show you around. By the system not being in place, what I mean is:

a) We will only have a formal section admissions rep this Wednesday.
b) The admissions rep will be in charge of meeting people in the admissions office, taking them to class and setting up lunches for applicants with students.
c) The campus visits are not scheduled yet, so there are no guided tours available yet.

The rest of what you can do on campus is:

1) Attend a class or two (which you had already done).
2) Look at the facilities (for which the campus visits are).
3) Hang out with students after-hours (which happens mainly if you know someone in the section and your visit takes place either on Weds, Thurs or the weekend).

L.
VP
VP
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: The floodgates really opened today [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 17:40
pelihu wrote:
For the past few weeks, we've had a few perspective applicants per week sitting in on class. Today, we had 7+ people in each of three classes (over 20 people just for our section). Looks like people are starting to get serious. Boy am I glad all that is behind me.

Pelihu,

I visited on October 1st for the Open House event and LOVED it!
I set in a class during which students discussed the "Bacon" case... I was kinda looking for you at the morning coffee gathering but I don't event know your last name, so that was useless :)

I actually got to talk to Dean Bruner and the Director of Admissions!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: The floodgates really opened today [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2007, 19:22
nervousgmat wrote:

Pelihu,

I visited on October 1st for the Open House event and LOVED it!
I set in a class during which students discussed the "Bacon" case... I was kinda looking for you at the morning coffee gathering but I don't event know your last name, so that was useless :)

I actually got to talk to Dean Bruner and the Director of Admissions!

That's awesome. I really had the same reaction when I met with Darden reps and visited the school. The classes really are run like that every day. There was just a whole mess of people around during first coffee that day, but it's great that you were able to talk with the Dean and with someone from admissions. They really do make an effort to get to know each applicant as an individual.

Good luck.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Even worse for EM... [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 04:28
Lucky you. BTW If you think that competition is fierce, imagine for the Emerging Markets people...

In my case, my competitors are from South America and especially Brazil. The brazilian currency has this year apreciated against the USD around 15%. Everybody is telling that it will be one of the most dramatic years for us. I'm kind of :scared

Schools usually do not say that they have fixed spots (or percentage of spots) regarding nationalities, but I see that the spots do not change too much during time.

Let me take advantage of this thread to aks somethign: is it REALLY important to visit the school or would it be the same to attend the info sessions?
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2010
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even worse for EM... [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 05:15
kwam wrote:
Lucky you. BTW If you think that competition is fierce, imagine for the Emerging Markets people...

In my case, my competitors are from South America and especially Brazil. The brazilian currency has this year apreciated against the USD around 15%. Everybody is telling that it will be one of the most dramatic years for us. I'm kind of :scared

Schools usually do not say that they have fixed spots (or percentage of spots) regarding nationalities, but I see that the spots do not change too much during time.

Let me take advantage of this thread to aks somethign: is it REALLY important to visit the school or would it be the same to attend the info sessions?

i would definitely visit if it wasnt cost prohibitive. you dont get nearly as much out of infosessions as you do visiting classes.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2007, 11:19
If you are really far away, they won't count it against you if you don't visit. You could help yourself quite a bit if you do visit though.

Being from Brazil would be considered (I believe) a strong positive factor. Latin America representation is still really low. I'm quite sure that it's not a negative factor. I also believe that competition is generally less intense than among other, oft-discussed, competitive demographics.
  [#permalink] 03 Oct 2007, 11:19