Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The following appeared in a market research report examining

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

The following appeared in a market research report examining [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 19:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in a market research report examining consumer perceptions of a chain of clothing stores:

"A recent survey commissioned by the market research department of XY Gen Stores indicated a high level of recognition among consumers of the brand and the nature of the apparel sold in XY Gen Stores. However, the survey also indicated that approximately 60% of those surveyed that recognized the name of XY Gen Stores had never shopped at one of the company's stores. Because of this result, XY Gen Stores executives should launch a significant rebranding and marketing campaign to change the company's image and thereby bring new consumers into the stores.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The research report outlines the result of a recent survey and draws the conclusion that XY Gen Stores should undertake a rebranding and remarking campaign. I think the conclusion is based on questionable assumptions and draws illogical conclusions and therefore I disagree that the company needs to initiate a remarking and rebranding capaign.

First, the conclusion is based on the assumption that greater than 40% of consumers that know a brand and a product line should be purchasers for the branding to be successful. This assumption is illogical. The price point of the products, the target demographic and other factors will determine whether consumers will actually shop for a particular product. As an example, low and middle income consumers may be very familiar with the brand and products of the watch company, Rolex, but they will not do their shopping in Rolex stores.

Second, the study indicates that a "high level of recognition" is observed amongst polled consumers. If this is the case, why should the company invest money in rebranding a recognized name? Investment in rebranding should be reserved for situations in which brand recognition is low, or in cases where brand image is damaged.

Finally, with a healthy current market penetration, the analyst does not suggest what the effect of rebranding would have on current customers, and whether the changes are designed to move toward a target demographic that is not mentioned by the analyst. If rebranding or remarketing would cause XY Gen to lose current customers, the company would need to perform a thoughtful analysis to see the effect on revenues.

In conclusion, I disagree with the analysts suggestions, and recommend that in the future, the analyst compare the market penetrations of XY Gen versus its competitors. Furthermore, the analyst should have a more detailed questionaire for the survey that asks additional questions to help the firm and its analysts understand its clients.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Rate my Analyze Argument (first ever attempt) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 20:13
This essay is 6/6. You nailed this one ! :-D

abmyers wrote:
ESSAY QUESTION:
The following appeared in a market research report examining consumer perceptions of a chain of clothing stores:

"A recent survey commissioned by the market research department of XY Gen Stores indicated a high level of recognition among consumers of the brand and the nature of the apparel sold in XY Gen Stores. However, the survey also indicated that approximately 60% of those surveyed that recognized the name of XY Gen Stores had never shopped at one of the company's stores. Because of this result, XY Gen Stores executives should launch a significant rebranding and marketing campaign to change the company's image and thereby bring new consumers into the stores.

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The research report outlines the result of a recent survey and draws the conclusion that XY Gen Stores should undertake a rebranding and remarking campaign. I think the conclusion is based on questionable assumptions and draws illogical conclusions and therefore I disagree that the company needs to initiate a remarking and rebranding capaign.

First, the conclusion is based on the assumption that greater than 40% of consumers that know a brand and a product line should be purchasers for the branding to be successful. This assumption is illogical. The price point of the products, the target demographic and other factors will determine whether consumers will actually shop for a particular product. As an example, low and middle income consumers may be very familiar with the brand and products of the watch company, Rolex, but they will not do their shopping in Rolex stores.

Second, the study indicates that a "high level of recognition" is observed amongst polled consumers. If this is the case, why should the company invest money in rebranding a recognized name? Investment in rebranding should be reserved for situations in which brand recognition is low, or in cases where brand image is damaged.

Finally, with a healthy current market penetration, the analyst does not suggest what the effect of rebranding would have on current customers, and whether the changes are designed to move toward a target demographic that is not mentioned by the analyst. If rebranding or remarketing would cause XY Gen to lose current customers, the company would need to perform a thoughtful analysis to see the effect on revenues.

In conclusion, I disagree with the analysts suggestions, and recommend that in the future, the analyst compare the market penetrations of XY Gen versus its competitors. Furthermore, the analyst should have a more detailed questionaire for the survey that asks additional questions to help the firm and its analysts understand its clients.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: Rate my Analyze Argument (first ever attempt) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 20:22
Seriously? its only 316 words. I read somewhere I should be at more like 500. I didn't have a good judge of my word count as I wrote it.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Rate my Analyze Argument (first ever attempt) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 20:43
Mate its not about 350 - 400 words. The structure of this essay is perfect. And ultimately esaay is able to make a point - weaken the argument. Last time I wasnt feeling well so I wrote just 2 paragraphs. The examiner rated it 5.0 If they like the structure of argumentation - you have made a case ! congratulations. :wink:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: Rate my Analyze Argument (first ever attempt) [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2012, 00:31
This is argument so i dont think we can use "I disagree..".
"you are not asked to present your own views on the subject"
correct me if i am wrong.
Re: Rate my Analyze Argument (first ever attempt)   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2012, 00:31