Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 02:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The following appeared in a memorandum from- Rate

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

The following appeared in a memorandum from- Rate [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2012, 05:04
This post received
KUDOS
The following appeared in a memorandum from the business department of the Apogee Company:
“When the Apogee Company had all its operations in one location, it was more profitable than it is today. Therefore,
the Apogee Company should close down its field offices and conduct all its operations from a single location. Such
centralization would improve profitability by cutting costs and helping the company maintain better supervision of all
employees.”

The argument states that the company Apogee should close down all its field offices and conduct all its operations from single location. The reason provided is that the company Apogee was more profitable when it had all the operations in one place than now when it has the operations spread out across multiple locations. I think the reason provided in the argument is either wrong or insufficiently substantiated with proper evidences.

Firstly, the argument assumes that field offices are unnecessary and they can be closed down. Field offices are part and parcel of some businesses. The businesses cannot even function without field offices. One such example is a retail chain business whose fundamental operating principle is based on having multiple stores. Closing down the stores is equivalent to closing down the business itself. The nature of business done by the company Apogee is not mentioned in the argument and no clear decision can be made about closing down its field offices.

Secondly, the argument fails to consider other factors which might have led to the reduction in the profit. Reasons such as increased competition, increased production cost, increased marketing cost, increased spending on manpower, etc… can also contribute to a loss in profit. Nothing is mentioned about such factors and they cannot be ignored in evaluating this argument.

Thirdly the argument states that better supervision of employees is possible only if the company is located in a single place. This is not true in most of the cases. Almost all the successful big companies have offices in multiple locations. There are huge multinational companies whose offices are located across continents and yet they are highly profitable. As long as the roles and responsibilities of employees are well defined and a proper system is in place, supervision of employees will not be a big issue.

In conclusion, the argument does not provide enough supporting evidence to support its claims. If it had presented information about the nature of business the company is performing, the critical factors such as competition, production costs, labor costs, etc., it would have provided more insight for careful evaluation of the argument
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The following appeared in a memorandum from- Rate [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 03:54
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The following appeared in a memorandum from- Rate   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 03:54