Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 27

GMAT ToolKit User
The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2013, 12:22
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

46% (02:04) correct 54% (01:03) wrong based on 163 sessions
The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.

A.The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.
B.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and contains some indigenous influences.
C.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.
D.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian and contains some indigenous influences.
E.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people with a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and some indigenous influences.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Regards,
Abhinav

GMAT 1 - 580 (Q47 V23) a-tight-slap-on-face-149457.html

GMAT 2 - 670 (Q48 V34) 670-one-month-off-from-office-and-2-months-hard-work-163761.html#p1297561

“If you don't change your life; your life will change you.”

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 32

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 01:29
A.The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.---- Incorrect, I feel the use of As would be better.
B.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and contains some indigenous influences.--- The first its is confusing, We do not know if it refers to food or Brazil. The second it could again refer to food or people
C.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.--- CORRECT
D.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian and contains some indigenous influences.--- Its again could refer to food or Brazil. Also people cannot contain indigenous influences. This sentence is illogical.
E.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people with a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and some indigenous influences.--- I think this sentence changes meaning. It is trying to say that the food of brazil is as heterogeneous as the country's people with a cross mostly between ....
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 36

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:24
akashb106 wrote:
A.The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.---- Incorrect, I feel the use of As would be better.
B.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people; it is a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and contains some indigenous influences.--- The first its is confusing, We do not know if it refers to food or Brazil. The second it could again refer to food or people
C.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.--- CORRECT
D.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as its people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian and contains some indigenous influences.--- Its again could refer to food or Brazil. Also people cannot contain indigenous influences. This sentence is illogical.
E.The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people with a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, and some indigenous influences.--- I think this sentence changes meaning. It is trying to say that the food of brazil is as heterogeneous as the country's people with a cross mostly between ....

can someone help me explain the use of "with"

a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.

Here the statement after comma followed by word "with" is correct.

However, I saw GMAT sentences that marked such statements as incorrect.

Any experts can help me explain why some statements with " "comma" followed by the word "with" is correct and why some are not.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [1] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
First point to note is that the comma denotes an element of non- essentiality; when accompanied with comma,the prepositional modifier is just an addition and no more.

Ex: Tom and Dick played the lead roles, with Harry as the cameo – Here -with Harry plays small role –If you are concerned about the roles of Tom and Dick principally, then this use is correct'.

Now consider the other side: Tom and Dick played the lead roles with Harry as the cameo; Here there is a subtle meaning change; Now all the three are essential to the play, no less than the others. So it is the context that ultimately decides.

Preceded by a comma, ‘with’ clears certain misconceptions.

The food of Brazil is as heterogeneous as the country’s people with a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian; here the prepositional modifier straightway modifies people leading to absurd meaning. So in such cases, we do have to use ‘with, accompanied by a comma before.

The take-away therefore is that evaluating context is a vital requirement of the use of ‘with’

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
One really subtle but totally-GMAT flaw with choice A (and that took me forever to see) is that word "its" in "like its people". Your mind is conditioned to just *know* that it means Brazil, but the subject of the sentence *is* "the food", so you're definitely dealing with two singular nouns in the first four words, so "its" has an unclear referent.

To me one of the biggest takeaways from this question is "make all the decisions you're great at first" - if it's a pronoun, a modifier, or a verb (either tense or agreement), you have an excellent chance of making the right decision. With strange modifiers and idiomatic expressions - including things like "is it okay to use like here?" and "what's the proper usage of comma-with" - we all struggle from time to time, and often the GMAT is just setting a "smokescreen" to distract you from a much more concrete, binary error. I'll admit - on this one I was trying to figure out some strange-usage decisions in the back half of the sentence until the author of the question laughed and said "I knew you'd overlook that pronoun its".

Word to the wise - whenever there's a common decision to be made (and I'm big on MVP first - Modifiers, Verbs, Pronouns) - see if you can make that decision first before you get too deep in a much trickier application of grammar.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 209

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 10:40
I am bit confused here, who is cross between Portuguese and Italian? is it food or people.
Original sentence says food is a cross between Portuguese and Italian.

In option C. country's people are placed right before explanation after colon and here it changing the meaning, is it right ?
the country’s people: a cross mostly between Portuguese and Italian, with some indigenous influences.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 116

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 12:05
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
One really subtle but totally-GMAT flaw with choice A (and that took me forever to see) is that word "its" in "like its people". Your mind is conditioned to just *know* that it means Brazil, but the subject of the sentence *is* "the food", so you're definitely dealing with two singular nouns in the first four words, so "its" has an unclear referent.

To me one of the biggest takeaways from this question is "make all the decisions you're great at first" - if it's a pronoun, a modifier, or a verb (either tense or agreement), you have an excellent chance of making the right decision. With strange modifiers and idiomatic expressions - including things like "is it okay to use like here?" and "what's the proper usage of comma-with" - we all struggle from time to time, and often the GMAT is just setting a "smokescreen" to distract you from a much more concrete, binary error. I'll admit - on this one I was trying to figure out some strange-usage decisions in the back half of the sentence until the author of the question laughed and said "I knew you'd overlook that pronoun its".

Word to the wise - whenever there's a common decision to be made (and I'm big on MVP first - Modifiers, Verbs, Pronouns) - see if you can make that decision first before you get too deep in a much trickier application of grammar.

I see only one logical referent for Its...can you elaborate on how is it ambiguous?

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2014, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
"Its" is probably more "dead wrong" than ambiguous, actually. Because the subject of the sentence is "the food", with "of Brazil" as a prepositional phrase telling us more about "which food", then "its" refers to "the food". But food doesn't have people that a country does! My point with even mentioning the "unclear" reference there is that your mind almost naturally processes it as "Brazil's people" because "the food's people" is so illogical. But when you look at what the sentence really says, "its" means "the food's".

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-30-2014
GPA: 3.24
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 116

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 11:20
VeritasPrepBrian wrote:
"Its" is probably more "dead wrong" than ambiguous, actually. Because the subject of the sentence is "the food", with "of Brazil" as a prepositional phrase telling us more about "which food", then "its" refers to "the food". But food doesn't have people that a country does! My point with even mentioning the "unclear" reference there is that your mind almost naturally processes it as "Brazil's people" because "the food's people" is so illogical. But when you look at what the sentence really says, "its" means "the food's".

Ohh..this was a tough one..I doubt If I will be able to spot such errors on the GMAT even after practicing this or more similar ones...it is just too small for the naked eye I can say.. :-D

Appreciate the efforts...KUDOS for all

Re: The food of Brazil, like its people, is heterogeneous   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 11:20