Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The football team, tired after four hours of practice and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: SAE
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 131 [2] , given: 269

The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 00:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

64% (01:46) correct 36% (00:40) wrong based on 163 sessions
The football team, tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.

A. tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
B. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
C. tired after four hours of practice and because they wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
D. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut.
E. tiring after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

First Attempt 710 - first-attempt-141273.html

Last edited by getgyan on 10 Oct 2012, 02:48, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The football team, tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.

A. tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut. -----and wanted to reach home is not participial modifier in this context. It is an IC and hence the modifier //ism is distorted.

B. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut. ---= modifier now is ok with the present participle replacing the past tense verb --- correct choice.

C. tired after four hours of practice and because they wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
---- Ed modifier and sub-clause distort the modifier //ism.

D. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut. ---- will take is a wrong tense logically for an event that gives the inkling of a past event. But it is arguable that being tired is a present phenomenon and the taking the short cut in the future is plausible. But the use of the verb will take looks a bit on the extreme

E. tiring after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly took a short cut.--- The absence of the comma after quickly, iis wrong //ism ;

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [1] , given: 122

Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 23:09
This post received
KUDOS
getgyan wrote:

A. tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
B. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut.
D. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut.
E. tiring after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut.

I love this question so much.

Verb-ed VS Verb-ing modifier

*Verb-ed: "tired" is correct. But "wanted" is wrong. The football team was tired, but it was not wanted :). ==> Verb-ing modifier: "wanting" is correct. Only B and D remain.

D is wrong because it change the intended meaning by using future tense "will take a short cut"

B is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3036 [0], given: 890

Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 02:24
Expert's post
IMO B
tired and wanting are parallel and logical.
tired is a past participle and wanting is a present participle and they are perfectly parallel in terms of meaning.
Here is a OG question which uses and elaborates the idea!
sc-scientists-75261.html

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 282

Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 09:31
souvik101990 wrote:
IMO B
tired is a past participle and wanting is a present participle and they are perfectly parallel in terms of meaning.
sc-scientists-75261.html

You are right thisis the perfect example of how a change in the tense is used to make proper sense.

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 12

CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 07:20
souvik101990 wrote:
IMO B
sc-scientists-75261.html

Hi Souvik,

Could you please elaborate what is wrong with E. Why is E not a correct choice isn't tiring and wanting parallel.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 19 May 2013, 10:47
davidfrank wrote:
Hi Souvik,

Could you please elaborate what is wrong with E. Why is E not a correct choice isn't tiring and wanting parallel.

Let me chip in ... :)
It cannot be tiring but a simple past tense, because the football team cannot be "tiring" after four hours of practice ... instead the team is "tired" after four hours of practice ...
makes sense??

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 03:39
ankurgupta03 wrote:
davidfrank wrote:
Hi Souvik,

It cannot be tiring but a simple past tense, because the football team cannot be "tiring" after four hours of practice ... instead the team is "tired" after four hours of practice ...
makes sense??

Help me understand this.....if it can't be tiring then how come the second part is acceptable as "wanting to go home"
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 04:25
davidfrank wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
davidfrank wrote:
Hi Souvik,

makes sense??

Help me understand this.....if it can't be tiring then how come the second part is acceptable as "wanting to go home"

Wanting to go home is correct, because, the team will go home after it is four hours of practice and after it is tired ...
Now is it clear?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Intern
Intern
WE: Sales (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 43

Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 07:37
SC, the mighty Achilles heel

Could somebody tell me why is D not acceptable
Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:07
Help me understand this.....if it can't be tiring then how come the second part is acceptable as "wanting to go home"[/quote]

Wanting to go home is correct, because, the team will go home after it is four hours of practice and after it is tired ...
Now is it clear?[/quote]

I am not fully convinced with the answer. Thanks for your help though
Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:08
IvyLeague56 wrote:
SC, the mighty Achilles heel

Could somebody tell me why is D not acceptable

Please look at the part of the sentence after comma.

The football team, tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, will take a short cut. The events are in past tense and hence you can't have a future tense here.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 8

Re: The football team, tired after four hours [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:25
daagh wrote:

A. tired after four hours of practice and wanted to reach home quickly, took a short cut. -----and wanted to reach home is not participial modifier in this context. It is an IC and hence the modifier //ism is distorted.

B. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, took a short cut. ---= modifier now is ok with the present participle replacing the past tense verb --- correct choice.

---- Ed modifier and sub-clause distort the modifier //ism.

D. tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut. ---- will take is a wrong tense logically for an event that gives the inkling of a past event. But it is arguable that being tired is a present phenomenon and the taking the short cut in the future is plausible. But the use of the verb will take looks a bit on the extreme

E. tiring after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly took a short cut.--- The absence of the comma after quickly, iis wrong //ism ;

it will be B...although I can see that I am the last to state that... :)
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:34
Expert's post
davidfrank: Please read D again; You have wrongly transcribed it. it is not – “and wanted to reach home quickly” as you have stated. The correct version in D is - and wanting to reach home quickly” – ‘tired after’ is a past participle, with no sense of tense. “Wanting to reach home” a present participle, again without any sense of tense. Wanting to reach home and wanted to reach home are totally different. Don’t you think d has some hold to consider?
But still to say so definitely that the tired team will be wanting to go home quickly and will take a short cut,( as if the author decides for the team) looks a bit fancying than real. This is my feeling.

Manager
Manager

CAT Tests
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:45
daagh wrote:
davidfrank: Please read D again; You have wrongly transcribed it. it is not – “and wanted to reach home quickly” as you have stated. The correct version in D is - and wanting to reach home quickly” – ‘tired after’ is a past participle, with no sense of tense. “Wanting to reach home” a present participle, again without any sense of tense. Wanting to reach home and wanted to reach home are totally different. Don’t you think d has some hold to consider?
But still to say so definitely that the tired team will be wanting to go home quickly and will take a short cut,( as if the author decides for the team) looks a bit fancying than real. This is my feeling.

@Daagh-I really made a mess of the modifiers...apologise....but the outcome "tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut." Please excuse for the typo error but I did point out the error that you can't use future tense for the past event.
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 20 May 2013, 23:50
Expert's post
david, I fully agree with you; It looks like saying, I ate tomorrow.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 21 May 2013, 00:23
davidfrank wrote:
the outcome "tired after four hours of practice and wanting to reach home quickly, will take a short cut." Please excuse for the typo error but I did point out the error that you can't use future tense for the past event.

It depends on the context actually. For example following would be correct:

Hurt after loosing the last elections but raring to try again, the candidate with seek a re-election.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 00:51
B is my choice. tired & wanting are parallel. Tired & wanted - show two independent events ..Wrong. we need two parallel participles here.
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 06:05
-ed and ing form can be parallel in case they are modifying the same entity,-
So here, wanting and tired refer to the same entity, football team and hence B is corect.

D and E change the tense and changed the first element of the parallelism respectively, so they are wrong.
Re: The football team, tired after four hours of practice and   [#permalink] 17 Sep 2013, 06:05