Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 04:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 246

CAT Tests
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 20:19
The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexpected drop in retail sales for May, which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

• which renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

• an event that renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

• and renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

• renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

• renewing concerns about the pace of the recovery in the United States.

Solution:
This problem tests your ability to distinguish between different types of modifiers. The underlined portion in the original stimulus is a relative clause because it begins with the relative pronoun “which.” A relative clause modifier must be immediately adjacent to the noun it modifies. Because it doesn’t make sense to modify “May,” answer (A) is incorrect.

Option (B) is an appositive modifier, but again, there is no noun it is renaming, so this construction is also incorrect.

Choice (C) applies the main subject “fragile markets” to the verb “renewed,” implying that the fragile markets themselves renewed concerns about the pace of the recovery. This changes the meaning of the sentence and therefore should be eliminated.

Answer (D) eliminates the subject attached to the verb “renewed” and therefore renders the sentence incoherent.

Option (E) correctly uses a participial modifier (“renewing concerns…”) at the end of the sentence to show that it modifies the action of the entire previous clause. Only a participial modifier (using a verb that typically ends in –ing or –ed) can function in this position.

I am strucked with the explanation of B,C,D and E.

Can some one shower more light, this question has so many Concepts.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 20:29
This question has been discussed the-fragile-markets-were-caught-off-guard-friday-by-an-146176.html?fl=similar .. If there any any more queries regarding the same please let us know... :)

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Director
Director

CAT Tests
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 21:50
MacFauz wrote:
This question has been discussed the-fragile-markets-were-caught-off-guard-friday-by-an-146176.html.. If there any any more queries regarding the same please let us know... :)

MacFauz,

The link you have given doesnot work.

Premium Member
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 21:57
Sorry for the lapse.. I've made the edit.. Please check if it works now.. :)

Director
Director

CAT Tests
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 22:17
MacFauz wrote:
This question has been discussed the-fragile-markets-were-caught-off-guard-friday-by-an-146176.html?fl=similar .. If there any any more queries regarding the same please let us know... :)

I have at least 500 Such questions, I can Post 10-20 in a week.

Premium Member
Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2013, 22:20
You defnitely can.... But chances are that most of the questions have already been discussed on the forum.. So you can do a quick serach for the question and if you don't find any you can post your questions to the forum...

Re: The fragile markets were caught off-guard Friday by an unexp   [#permalink] 23 Jun 2013, 22:20