Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 11:04

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 11:41
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:48) correct 19% (02:26) wrong based on 79 sessions
The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each person visiting the casino has the opportunity to play the Trip Aces game. In Trip Aces, a player is randomly dealt three cards, without replacement, from a deck of 8 cards. If a player receives 3 aces, they will receive a free trip to one of 10 vacation destinations. If the deck of 8 cards contains 3 aces, what is the probability that a player will win a trip?

A. 1/336
B. 1/120
C. 1/56
D. 1/720
E. 1/1440
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 27 Sep 2012, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Renamed the topic and moved to PS forum.
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19030
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24387 [0], given: 2677

Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 11:48
Expert's post
joesamson wrote:
The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each person visiting the casino has the opportunity to play the Trip Aces game. In Trip Aces, a player is randomly dealt three cards, without replacement, from a deck of 8 cards. If a player receives 3 aces, they will receive a free trip to one of 10 vacation destinations. If the deck of 8 cards contains 3 aces, what is the probability that a player will win a trip?

A. 1/336
B. 1/120
C. 1/56
D. 1/720
E. 1/1440


P=P(ace in the first draw)*P(ace in the second draw)*P(ace in the third draw)=3/8*2/7*1/6=1/56.

Answer: C.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2012
Posts: 13
GMAT Date: 10-12-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [3] , given: 10

Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2012, 12:47
3
This post received
KUDOS
The probability of an event A occurring is the number of outcomes that result in A divided by the total number of possible outcomes.

There is only one result that results in a win: receiving three aces.

Since the order of arrangement does not matter, the number of possible ways to receive 3 cards is a combination problem.

The number of combinations of n objects taken r at a time is

C(n,r) = n!/(r!(n-r)!)

C(8,3) = 8!/(3!(8-3)!)
C(8,3) = 8!/(3!(5!))
C(8,3) = 40320/(6(120))
C(8,3) = 40320/720
C(8,3) = 56

The number of possible outcomes is 56.

Thus, the probability of being dealt 3 aces is 1/56.

HENCE C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 409
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 82

Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2012, 23:42
Bunuel wrote:
joesamson wrote:
The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each person visiting the casino has the opportunity to play the Trip Aces game. In Trip Aces, a player is randomly dealt three cards, without replacement, from a deck of 8 cards. If a player receives 3 aces, they will receive a free trip to one of 10 vacation destinations. If the deck of 8 cards contains 3 aces, what is the probability that a player will win a trip?

A. 1/336
B. 1/120
C. 1/56
D. 1/720
E. 1/1440


P=P(ace in the first draw)*P(ace in the second draw)*P(ace in the third draw)=3/8*2/7*1/6=1/56.

Answer: C.



Bunuel.. If question wud ask ...with replacement then??

then solution wud b like this..

3/8*3/8*3/8= 27/512..rite??
_________________

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19030
Followers: 3361

Kudos [?]: 24387 [1] , given: 2677

Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 05:49
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sanjoo wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
joesamson wrote:
The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each person visiting the casino has the opportunity to play the Trip Aces game. In Trip Aces, a player is randomly dealt three cards, without replacement, from a deck of 8 cards. If a player receives 3 aces, they will receive a free trip to one of 10 vacation destinations. If the deck of 8 cards contains 3 aces, what is the probability that a player will win a trip?

A. 1/336
B. 1/120
C. 1/56
D. 1/720
E. 1/1440


P=P(ace in the first draw)*P(ace in the second draw)*P(ace in the third draw)=3/8*2/7*1/6=1/56.

Answer: C.



Bunuel.. If question wud ask ...with replacement then??

then solution wud b like this..

3/8*3/8*3/8= 27/512..rite??


Yes, since in this case, each time we would be picking from 8 cards with 3 aces.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Aug 2011
Posts: 409
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 82

Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2012, 08:21
ok got that ..Thanks bunuel:)
_________________

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 03:15
Don't we have to consider the order of the Aces?
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 22 Mar 2011
Posts: 613
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 498 [0], given: 43

GMAT Tests User
Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 03:27
tanujab wrote:
Don't we have to consider the order of the Aces?


All Aces are Aces, order doesn't matter.
_________________

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 19 Jun 2012
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 03:35
Thanks Eva for the clarification :)
Re: The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each   [#permalink] 11 Oct 2012, 03:35
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic A casino pays players using purple and orange chips; each nicktim 3 24 Jan 2013, 22:08
The development of new inventions is promoted by the vjsharma25 4 10 Mar 2011, 08:58
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tom, Jane, and Sue each purchased a new house. The average reply2spg 16 09 Oct 2009, 22:27
Find the probability of a full house in a poker hand Full TeHCM 6 27 Nov 2005, 16:07
Tom, Jane, and Sue each purchased a new house. The average trickygmat 5 10 Oct 2005, 21:03
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Full House Casino is running a new promotion. Each

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.