Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:UCLA
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Re: the future with debt? [#permalink]
I'm interested in microfinance as it relates to the US food industry (I am not honestly sure what job function to identify as my goal...), and eventually would like to own my own business. Not necessarily immediately lucrative (or ever lucrative...) career paths! Although I suppose I could manage a couple years in a debt-repaying position before setting out on my own.

Ross has loan forgiveness programs for non-profit/public positions, but not necessarily social enterprise. It's a possibility but not something I'm prepared to count on.

The way I'm looking at it is this: the "lesser" school might make life easier upon graduation, but Ross will continuously open doors for me for the rest of my life. It's a trade-off, but I think it will be worth it. *Cue hyperventilating, sweating, and heart pumping wildly at the thought of the size of my loans...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:

The way I'm looking at it is this: the "lesser" school might make life easier upon graduation, but Ross will continuously open doors for me for the rest of my life. It's a trade-off, but I think it will be worth it. *Cue hyperventilating, sweating, and heart pumping wildly at the thought of the size of my loans...

conmisdosmanos - I'm in the same boat with an elite and a lower ranked school. Terrifying but I hope we're right and it's worth it in the end.
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
dcdevil & SBbound - I sent you guys a PM. It looks like all my recent PMs are just sitting in my outbox (anybody know why?). Let me know if you receive it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
dcdevil & SBbound - I sent you guys a PM. It looks like all my recent PMs are just sitting in my outbox (anybody know why?). Let me know if you receive it?

It stays in your outbox until the recipient reads it. After they read it, your PM box will show it as "sent."
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
conmisdosmanos wrote:

It stays in your outbox until the recipient reads it. After they read it, your PM box will show it as "sent."

Thank you!
Current Student
 Q44  V47
Send PM
xerox wrote:
"Be bold when others are fearful, and be fearful and others are bold" and I think it is generally applicable to big decisions like investing into your own future, too. If it is not scary, it is an easy decision, and so everyone is capable of making a similar one.

MBA is an expensive toolkit, but it is well worth it, and I would always wholeheartedly recommend Wharton MBA to anyone anywhere.

Graduating with an MBA into a down economy is thought to reduce the impact of the education on your career, but you will be in a much better position vs. not having an MBA.

I think you're absolutely right, and in my gut I know I've already made my decision and it's the right one (the expensive one). It's nice to know, however, that I'm not the only one who has the jitters...

Thanks for all the encouragement, everybody, on this thread and across this forum!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Well add me to the club of jittery thinkers.

I got my loan approved this afternoon and the money won't cover it, so I'll be scraping by and applying for every scholarship in existence I qualify for.

This step has kinda turned the excited factor towards nerves. It's like when you're in line to go on a roller coaster, and when they're giving the safety instruction you keep thinking how much you wanna get off the thing.

I'm so scared about the debt, the life transition, and whether this is the right decision for me - am I sure I wasn't meant for med or law school?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
A very interesting topic..and no right answer.

Two other things to consider:
1. if you did not get an MBA, would your current career path be secure? It may be a mistake to think that your current job/path will stay at status quo (think all the folks in the dot com industry in 2000s or financial services in 2008s). On the other hand, if you work at a small-to-med size business and have a strong trajectory, maybe the MBA is not needed right now and/or can be done in a part time basis.

2. if you know what industry you would like to land in, compare MBA & non-MBA routes there -- there will be individuals that have succeeded via both channels. If a non-MBA alternative appears plausible, it is worth considering.

One variable here -- the MBA does give you flexibility not just coming out of grad school but beyond into your 2nd or 3rd job. While experience matters more at that juncture, the MBA is still sometimes a 'minimum' bar that employers look to.

Good luck!
Aveek Guha, President, www.mbadaycamp.com
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2