Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The general availability of high-quality electronic scanners

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 18

The general availability of high-quality electronic scanners [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2011, 23:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

68% (01:59) correct 32% (00:23) wrong based on 47 sessions
The general availability of high-quality electronic scanners and color printers for computers has made the counterfeiting of checks much easier. In order to deter such counterfeiting, several banks plan to issue to their corporate customers checks that contain dots too small to be accurately duplicated by any electronic scanner currently available; when such checks are scanned and printed, the dots seem to blend together in such a way that the word "VOID" appears on the check.

A questionable assumption of the plan is that:

a) In the territory served by the banks the proportion of counterfeit checks that are made using electronic scanners has remained approximately constant over the past few years.

b) Most counterfeiters who use electronic scanners counterfeit checks only for relatively large amounts of money

c) The smallest dots on the proposed checks cannot be distinguished visually except under strong magnification.

d)Most corporations served by these banks will not have to pay more for the new checks than for traditional checks.

e) The size of the smallest dots that generally available electronic scanners are able to reproduce accurately will not decrease significantly in the near future.

Can anybody explain this question?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 222 [2] , given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: cr general availabilityn 38 [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 02:32
This post received
KUDOS
eybrj2 wrote:
The general availability of high-quality electronic scanners and color printers for computers has made the counterfeiting of checks much easier. In order to deter such counterfeiting, several banks plan to issue to their corporate customers checks that contain dots too small to be accurately duplicated by any electronic scanner currently available; when such checks are scanned and printed, the dots seem to blend together in such a way that the word "VOID" appears on the check.

A questionable assumption of the plan is that:

c) The smallest dots on the proposed checks cannot be distinguished visually except under strong magnification.

e) The size of the smallest dots that generally available electronic scanners are able to reproduce accurately will not decrease significantly in the near future.

Can anybody explain this question?

When I face this problem, I have strong senses that one of C and E will be the correct answer choice. But when I reasoning by negate technique, the choice C and E will be:

c) The smallest dots on the proposed checks can be distinguished visually (except under strong magnification.) => I do not remember what magnification means, but I can presume that this word's meaning unrelated to the scanner system and that why I eliminate this answer choice.

e) The size of the smallest dots that generally available electronic scanners are able to reproduce accurately will decrease significantly in the near future. => here is the correct answer choice. If the size of dots become smaller, the scanner will not realize (as well as reproduce) these dots whether these checks have these dots or not. So, the plan of using dots to prevent counterfeiting will be not efficient.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 110

Re: cr general availabilityn 38 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2011, 19:41
E it is.

The easier way to answer this would be to negate the answer choices. That is how I chose E.

As we negate E, we realize that if the generally available scanners are able to reproduce accurately even the very small dots, then the scanners will, indeed, be able to continue counterfeiting, thus defeating the purpose of the banks.
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 51

Re: cr general availabilityn 38 [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 22:16
I went with A but explanation for E is good.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: cr general availabilityn 38 [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2012, 01:55
+1 for E
Re: cr general availabilityn 38   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2012, 01:55