Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Nov 2014, 07:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 2

The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 18:31
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

75% (02:39) correct 25% (00:00) wrong based on 16 sessions
The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were sighted in 1770 by the English navigator Captain James Cook, by whom they were named supposedly because its sheer wet rocks glistened like glass.

C) Naming them supposedly since their
D) who so named them supposedly because their

I chose C. I know it is wrong because of "since", however, not sure what the problem with "naming" is. According to the OG, as the object of a preposition and not the subject of the clause, James Cook does not work as the noun that the verbal phrase beginning with "naming" can describe.
I dont understand; isn't James who did the action of "name"??

D is the correct answer. It makes sense for me, except for "so". what does it refer to? why do we need it?

Thanks,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 10:44
My question is: isn't Captain James Cook the object of the sentence, so shouldn't it be whom, NOT who?
Manhattan Review Test Prep & Admissions
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 20:37
Well, there is also diction - proper use of Since and Because
Since has to be time related, while Because shows the cause.

I'm a GMAT instructor for Manhattan Review
If you need help studying for your GMAT feel free to look us up.

10% discount on all services for GMAT Club members

William | Manhattan Review Singapore - Your MBA Total Solution - GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions | +65 31 06 20 69

Manhattan Review Test Prep & Admissions
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 20:39
Sorry, just saw that you already caught the since.
Another thing to note is naming, unless absolutely necessary, try to avoid progressive tense on the GMAT sentence correction questions.

William | Manhattan Review Singapore - Your MBA Total Solution - GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions | +65 31 06 20 69

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 01:52
Cinji18 wrote:
My question is: isn't Captain James Cook the object of the sentence, so shouldn't it be whom, NOT who?

"X was done by James Cook, who also did Y"
"X was done by James Cook, whom Y can be attributed to"

James Cook being the object does not necessarily require use of whom.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

2 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 346

Kudos [?]: 758 [2] , given: 11

Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All,

FOR REFERENCE:

Just thought I'd weigh in on this, since I haven't seen a correct explanation. First, two introductory things:

1) As far as I know, "since" can sometimes be used as a synonym for because, though not when it's being used in a way where it can be misconstrued (interpreted as EITHER time or cause).

2) While -ing words are not always the best construction, it is not useful to be crossing off answer choices merely because you see -ing words. They are common enough that it's not worth your time to separate them in your mind.

Okay. Now, let's talk about other issues here:

1) C is wrong because it lacks the "so named", not because of the-ing form. C makes it sound that he named them ANYTHING because of the wet rocks. But the idea is that he named them IN A PARTICULAR WAY because of the wet rocks. In other words, C could be used in a sentence like "The rabbits were dubbed Adam and Eve by the veterinarian, naming them because she was the one who found them". But we want to make a point that they were named THE GLASS HOUSE MOUNTAINS because of the wet rocks, so we need the "so named" part.

2) Who/whom. It is dependent on how the pronoun is used in the sentence, not what came before. I can say, "It was given to be by James Cook, who eventually ate it." This answers the question, "Who ate it?" "He did!" So it's a subject pronoun (though it was an indirect object, within the prepositional phrase, in the previous clause). In contrast, If someone asked me who gave me the cookie, I could answer: "Dave, whom I will see tomorrow." Even though Dave is the subject of the understood sentence "Dave gave it to me", he has now become the object of the main clause: "I will see HIM tomorrow".

Word.

Hope that helps!

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 13

Reviews Badge
Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 07:19
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

My debrief: done-and-dusted-730-q49-v40

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 32

CAT Tests
Re: The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 14:13
MontrealLady wrote:
The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were sighted in 1770 by the English navigator Captain James Cook, by whom they were named supposedly because its sheer wet rocks glistened like glass.

I chose C. I know it is wrong because of "since", however, not sure what the problem with "naming" is. According to the OG, as the object of a preposition and not the subject of the clause, James Cook does not work as the noun that the verbal phrase beginning with "naming" can describe.

D is the correct answer. It makes sense for me, except for "so". what does it refer to? why do we need it?

Thanks,
I couldnt get why since is wrong here. For C, OG says: the preposition since loses the important causal logic of the sentence.
But, since looks fine from synonymous and ambiguous meaning of because here. Am I missing something here?

If you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of anybody! Cowards do that and You're better than that!
The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short; the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.
Failure establishes only this, that our determination to succeed was not strong enough.
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.8

Kudos [?]: 24 [1] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2012, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
joshnsit wrote:
MontrealLady wrote:

Thanks,
I couldnt get why since is wrong here. For C, OG says: the preposition since loses the important causal logic of the sentence.
But, since looks fine from synonymous and ambiguous meaning of because here. Am I missing something here?

Using since in this sentense is makes the sentense ambiguous, it can mean two things
rocks are named because sheer wet rocks glistened like glass
rocks are named since the time when the sheer wet rocks glistened like glass

Hope that helps

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 39

Re: The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 09:20
C is wrong because

comma+naming (comma+doing)
modifies the previouse clause and associate with subject "mountains"

this make no sense
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: OG - 12th edition - q.1 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2013, 02:49
TommyWallach wrote:
Hey All,

FOR REFERENCE:

Just thought I'd weigh in on this, since I haven't seen a correct explanation. First, two introductory things:

1) As far as I know, "since" can sometimes be used as a synonym for because, though not when it's being used in a way where it can be misconstrued (interpreted as EITHER time or cause).

2) While -ing words are not always the best construction, it is not useful to be crossing off answer choices merely because you see -ing words. They are common enough that it's not worth your time to separate them in your mind.

Okay. Now, let's talk about other issues here:

1) C is wrong because it lacks the "so named", not because of the-ing form. C makes it sound that he named them ANYTHING because of the wet rocks. But the idea is that he named them IN A PARTICULAR WAY because of the wet rocks. In other words, C could be used in a sentence like "The rabbits were dubbed Adam and Eve by the veterinarian, naming them because she was the one who found them". But we want to make a point that they were named THE GLASS HOUSE MOUNTAINS because of the wet rocks, so we need the "so named" part.

2) Who/whom. It is dependent on how the pronoun is used in the sentence, not what came before. I can say, "It was given to be by James Cook, who eventually ate it." This answers the question, "Who ate it?" "He did!" So it's a subject pronoun (though it was an indirect object, within the prepositional phrase, in the previous clause). In contrast, If someone asked me who gave me the cookie, I could answer: "Dave, whom I will see tomorrow." Even though Dave is the subject of the understood sentence "Dave gave it to me", he has now become the object of the main clause: "I will see HIM tomorrow".

Word.

Hope that helps!

in C

comma appears before "naming"
comma+doing never modify immediately preceding noun, but modify the preceding clause and associate with the subject of that clause. C is wrong clearly

Am I correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2013, 06:53
Dear Manhantan expert

comma+namming

modifies the previous clause and associates with the subject of that clause

C means
mountains names them

this is not logic.

is my thinking correct?
Re: The Glass House Mountains in QueensIand, Australia, were   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2013, 06:53