Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [55]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 294 [13]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [6]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
General Discussion
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [39]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: The Glass House mountains in Queensland, Australia, were sighted in 17 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hey All,

FOR REFERENCE:
C) Naming them supposedly since their
D) who so named them supposedly because their

Just thought I'd weigh in on this, since I haven't seen a correct explanation. First, two introductory things:

1) As far as I know, "since" can sometimes be used as a synonym for because, though not when it's being used in a way where it can be misconstrued (interpreted as EITHER time or cause).

2) While -ing words are not always the best construction, it is not useful to be crossing off answer choices merely because you see -ing words. They are common enough that it's not worth your time to separate them in your mind.

Okay. Now, let's talk about other issues here:

1) C is wrong because it lacks the "so named", not because of the-ing form. C makes it sound that he named them ANYTHING because of the wet rocks. But the idea is that he named them IN A PARTICULAR WAY because of the wet rocks. In other words, C could be used in a sentence like "The rabbits were dubbed Adam and Eve by the veterinarian, naming them because she was the one who found them". But we want to make a point that they were named THE GLASS HOUSE MOUNTAINS because of the wet rocks, so we need the "so named" part.

2) Who/whom. It is dependent on how the pronoun is used in the sentence, not what came before. I can say, "It was given to be by James Cook, who eventually ate it." This answers the question, "Who ate it?" "He did!" So it's a subject pronoun (though it was an indirect object, within the prepositional phrase, in the previous clause). In contrast, If someone asked me who gave me the cookie, I could answer: "Dave, whom I will see tomorrow." Even though Dave is the subject of the understood sentence "Dave gave it to me", he has now become the object of the main clause: "I will see HIM tomorrow".

Word.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by TommyWallach on 29 Mar 2011, 04:59.
Last edited by Bunuel on 18 Mar 2020, 00:14, edited 5 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [14]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: The Glass House mountains in Queensland, Australia, were sighted in 17 [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The Glass House Mountains in Queensland, Australia,were sighted in 1770 by the English navigator Captain James Cook, by whom they were named supposedlybecause its sheer wet rocks glistened like glass.

(A) by whom they were named supposedly because its --- its refer to Glass Mountains S/V
(B) by whom they were named supposedly and their --- and is not appropriate
(C) naming them supposedly since their --- Naming will modify the whole previous clause which is inappropriate.
(D) who so named them supposedly because their
(E) who so named it since supposedly their --- it refers to plural Glass Mountains
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi Experts / VeritasPrepKarishma / chetan2u / mikemcgarry ,

In this sentence why we have used "were" for "The Glass House Mountains" , according to me it should be singular.

Please have a look on this official question-

Quote-

The Federalist papers, a strong defense of the United States Constitution and important as a body of work in political science as well, represents the handiwork of three different authors.

(A) and important as a body of work in political science as well, represents

(B) as well as an important body of work in political science, represent

(C) and also a body of work of importance in political science is representing

(D) an important body of work in political science and has been representative of

(E) and as political science an important body of work too, represent

Correct answer is choice B;

The interesting part is the explanation given in the OG VR2 for Q 101-

The Federalist papers- as per OG since the P in papers is NOT CAPITALIZED ,'The Federalist papers' is PLURAL and must have a plural verb..

The Federalist Papers- as per OG since the P in papers in CAPITALIZED ,'The Federalist Papers' is SINGULAR and must have singular verb..

Applying the above OG explanation to this question, it seems that 'The Glass House Mountains' is singular and must take SINGULAR VERBS.

Can you please assist, whats the issue ..??

Thanks and Regards,
Prakhar
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
Applying the above OG explanation to this question, it seems that 'The Glass House Mountains' is singular and must take SINGULAR VERBS.

Hi Prakhar, hope OG's explanation behind the capital vs small P was clear to you. If we have capital P, it would mean that The Federalist Papers could be the name of a single publication; however, if we have The Federalist papers, then this could as well represent multiple papers (with The Federalist acting as an Adjective).

Now, can The Federalist Papers be the name of a book? I would say yes (wherein this book is a compilation of multiple papers).

Can The Glass House Mountains be the name of a mountain? I would say no; if it was just one mountain, then the name would rather have been The Glass House Mountain (and not Mountains).

So, I don't believe that similar analogy can be applied to mountains. Out of curiosity, I googled for The Glass House Mountains; looks like The Glass House Mountains (with capital M) are a group of eleven hills.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 614 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Hi Experts, EducationAisle / sayantanc2k ,

Thanks for your contribution to this question. The reason why came across this issue is because of this sentence-

Source- e-GMAT

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which stood near a grand palace known as “The Marvel of Mankind” were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are believed to have been destroyed during an earthquake in the first century A.D.

A) were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are
B) was reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, is

Option A is correct. But according to me option B should be OA

As per them-
If there were only one hanging garden, it would be named "The Hanging Garden of Babylon". The Great Wall of China, another wonder of the world, is singular because its one continuous wall and hence is named correctly. Similarly, if the name is "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon", it is evident that there were more than one garden and hence, the plural noun in the name.

Can you please suggest, which option is correct. I am not able to understand how could "The Hanging Gardens" is plural.. :roll:

EducationAisle
Read the first line in this Wikipedia Article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_G ... of_Babylon

It says "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, is the only one whose location has not been definitively established."

But, GMAT does not require any prior knowledge. It could be any name which even does not exist.

sayantanc2k

I see that you have made the modification but on all other forums it written as Mountains with capital "M". do you know the source of this question by any chance..?
I think its from OG's but don't know from which one.. :(

Please have a look into this.
Thanks
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [2]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Kudos
metallicafan wrote:
The Glass House mountains in Queensland, Australia,were sighted in 1770 by the English navigator Captain James Cook, by whom they were named supposedlybecause its sheer wet rocks glistened like glass.

(A) by whom they were named supposedly because its
(B) by whom they were named supposedly and their
(C) naming them supposedly since their
(D) who so named them supposedly because their
(E) who so named it since supposedly their

In D and E, I don't clearly understand the meaning or sense of SO. Could someone please explain? Thanks!

'The Glass House mountains' require plural verb 'their'. A is out

(B) by whom they were named supposedly and their 'They' refers to what?
(C) naming them supposedly since their 'naming them supposedly' does'nt give the desired meaning
(D) who so named them supposedly because their correct option
(E) who so named it since supposedly their 'it' is singular

D is the answer
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
PrakharGMAT wrote:
The reason why came across this issue is because of this sentence-

Source- e-GMAT

The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, which stood near a grand palace known as “The Marvel of Mankind” were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are believed to have been destroyed during an earthquake in the first century A.D.

A) were reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, are
B) was reputedly constructed by using a combination of baked bricks and lead coverings, is

Option A is correct. But according to me option B should be OA

As per them-
If there were only one hanging garden, it would be named "The Hanging Garden of Babylon". The Great Wall of China, another wonder of the world, is singular because its one continuous wall and hence is named correctly. Similarly, if the name is "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon", it is evident that there were more than one garden and hence, the plural noun in the name.

This is consistent with what I mentioned in my previous post. If there was just one garden, it would be logically strange (and that's putting it mildly) to name it The Hanging Gardens. Let's look at it other way: With just one continuous wall, could there have been any logical reason to name the wall as The Great Walls of China? I would say no.

Quote:
Can you please suggest, which option is correct. I am not able to understand how could "The Hanging Gardens" is plural.. :roll:

EducationAisle
Read the first line in this Wikipedia Article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging_G ... of_Babylon

It says "The Hanging Gardens of Babylon, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, is the only one whose location has not been definitively established."

Couple of things. For one, wiki cannot be expected to conform with the high standards of formal written English that is a characteristic of GMAT SC. In fact, even in the same wiki article there is a contradiction, because in almost all other places in the artcile, wiki has referred to The Hanging Gardens as plural (The Hanging Gardens were a distinctive feature of ancient Babylon).

In my previous post, the reason why I referred to wiki article was not for any grammatical reference, but to corroborate that indeed these Glass Mountains were a group of multiple mountains.

Quote:
But, GMAT does not require any prior knowledge.

There is no prior knowledge required here; just logical inference.

Quote:
It could be any name which even does not exist.

That actually is very unlikely. In fact, GMAT sentences correction questions many a times are a source of great General Knowledge information :)

Quote:
do you know the source of this question by any chance..?
I think its from OG's but don't know from which one.. :(

OG-12 (#1 in sample questions).
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
EducationAisle wrote:
PrakharGMAT wrote:

Hi Prakhar, hope OG's explanation behind the capital vs small P was clear to you. If we have capital P, it would mean that The Federalist Papers could be the name of a single publication; however, if we have The Federalist papers, then this could as well represent multiple papers (with The Federalist acting as an Adjective).

Now, can The Federalist Papers be the name of a book? I would say yes (wherein this book is a compilation of multiple papers).

Can The Glass House Mountains be the name of a mountain? I would say no; if it was just one mountain, then the name would rather have been The Glass House Mountain (and not Mountains).

So, I don't believe that similar analogy can be applied to mountains. Out of curiosity, I googled for The Glass House Mountains; looks like The Glass House Mountains (with capital M) are a group of eleven hills.

Like your other explanations, this explanation is very logical. But unlike other cases, this case brings us on the opposite sides of the court. :)

If a collection of papers can be singular, why can't a group of mountains be? Even in the last sentence you mentioned "The Glass House Mountains (with capital M) are a group of eleven hills.", the verb "are" seems somewhat inappropriate to me. In my opinion the sentence should be "The Glass House Mountains (with capital M) is a group of eleven hills."

Another example: I would say that "The Himalayas" is singular although there are hundreds of mountains in the mountain range - the reason is that "The Himalayas" is the name of a mountain range. Similarly I would say "The Glass House Mountains" is the name of a range/group of mountains, and hence should be singular.

Is there anything wrong with my argument?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Send PM