Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The global oil scam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

The global oil scam [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 09:37
http://seekingalpha.com/article/172797- ... ostpopular

Fantastic article on seekingalpha :
"Goldman Sachs (GS), Morgan Stanley (MS), BP (BP), Total (TOT), Shell (RDS.A), Deutsche Bank (DB) and Societe Generale (SCGLY.PK) founded the Intercontinental Exchange (ICE) in 2000. ICE is an online commodities and futures marketplace. It is outside the US and operates free from the constraints of US laws. The exchange was set up to facilitate "dark pool" trading in the commodities markets. Billions of dollars are being placed on oil futures contracts at the ICE and the beauty of this scam is that they NEVER take delivery, per se. They just ratchet up the price with leveraged speculation using your TARP money. This year alone they ratcheted up the global cost of oil from $40 to $80 per barrel."
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: The global oil scam [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 11:46
thanks for the interesting article. worth the read.

i didn't know the trade volume was so high on the ICE...while they're not artifically manipulating the prices directly, they are indirectly sending pricing signals to the market, which is still pretty shady...

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth (admitted R1), NYU (interview Mar 4), UT (withdrawn), Rice (admitted R2) plus dings at HBS, Stanford, Wharton and CBS
WE 1: Oil and gas
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 6

Re: The global oil scam [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 07:43
I agree with drsatisfaction - the author makes a pretty big leap to claim that the oil price doubled on the back of this, although it doesn't sound like best practice to me either. Anyway I read offshore oil storage was decreasing fairly rapidly as of not long ago - can't remember where though, unfortunately.

If I said something intelligent, it was probably by accident. But click "kudos" anyway - it will make me happy.

VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: The global oil scam [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2010, 07:09
Why on earth would you take delivery? If you have a consignment to be delivered with a future price fix, why the hell would you want to take delivery in zone 4?

This ignores that the vast majority of people never take delivery in forwards markets for anything. Corn, Coffee, Orange Juice, Pork Bellys - it is a hedge, not a fricking order and delivery system.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The global oil scam [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2011, 23:06
thanks for the interesting article. worth the read.
Re: The global oil scam   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2011, 23:06