Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 12:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The GMAT Conundrum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Consumer Goods / IT
WE 2: Retail / Logistics
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
The GMAT Conundrum [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2008, 03:02
Hi All,

I think I speak for most active and passive readers of this forum when I say I have a GMAT conundrum. In 2006, I had enrolled in a Kaplan GMAT prep course and was consistently scoring above 700 on the practice tests. I took the GMAT a couple of months after the course, and ended up with a 650 on the actual thing. What was even more surprising was that I had improved my verbal score to 32 or 34, but my quant score fell from an avg of 50 on practice tests to about 43 or 44.

Now, a couple of years down, I'm looking to begin the b-school application process. While the score I got is not horrible, I am going to take the test again. Here are the problems I have:
A. What will happen if my score drops further?
B. Should I begin applying to schools this year with my sore of 650? (although they won't be my target schools)
C. I will be utilizing both the GMAT club and the OG for my prep which I hadn't utilized 2 years ago. What other test preps are available to provide me with an accurate gauge of my performance?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The GMAT Conundrum [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2008, 19:28
Don't needlessly stress yourself out that your score will drop further. It's unlikely. Be well-prepared and you should be fine.

I wouldn't waste money and time applying to schools you wouldn't really want to go to. Take that time to study for the GMAT and the money to visit schools that interest you. You'll get much more out of it, and visiting the schools is a good way to make a good impression and find out if the school suits you.

I am new here too so I haven't seen the challenges, but they seem highly regarded. Definitely use OG and take the GMATPrep tests. I started with the Cracking the GMAT book and have found it very useful so far.
Re: The GMAT Conundrum   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2008, 19:28