Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 16:21
Hello everyone,

Firstly, I would just like to say that I have done alot of reading through this forum and that it is a really good and well presented tool for everyone doing the GMAT not to mention the support it shows.

Sadly, I come to you all in dye GMAT circumstances, the Masters program I am going into required me to take the GMAT so in which about 3 months ago I went about studying for it in which I put around about a month of work into it. I then came to an open day in which I was told that due to my university grades that the GMAT was not necessary and that it was only asked upon students in certain circumstances. So I put the books down and stopped studying and to be honest was a bit relieved at the thought.

As of last week I received notification that I would have to take the GMAT and achieve a score of at least 600. To my disbelief, I now have to sit the exam in 2 weeks as to not miss the cut off for my course. I could spend time complaining about the information given but at the end of the day I just have to do it.

I have done the GMAT prep tests and have been hitting around the 510 mark, I also have all the GMAT Review books (12th Edition) and have been pumping through the questions.

I am sorry to say that my first post on this forum is abrupt but I feel like I have just hit the Iceberg and the Titanic is going down :(

Any advice, information, prep courses or help, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 20:42
Hi there - since you've already put a month of studying into it, I assume that you've gone over the basic concepts that you need to know for the GMAT. What I'd suggest now is to spend a few days or so refreshing yourself - go over all of those concepts again, and make sure that they're firmly lodged in your mind.

Once you've done that, focus on practising GMAT questions. Go through a couple of full mock tests, and figure out which types of questions you have the most trouble with. These questions are the ones where you stand to improve the most with the limited amount of time that you have, and it is these questions that you should concentrate on.

Last but certainly not least? Relax a little. Getting too worked up about things will only negatively impact your score. Take it easy, do your practice questions, and you should find yourself improving in no time.

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern

Re: The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2012, 21:13
MrFong wrote:
Hi there - since you've already put a month of studying into it, I assume that you've gone over the basic concepts that you need to know for the GMAT. What I'd suggest now is to spend a few days or so refreshing yourself - go over all of those concepts again, and make sure that they're firmly lodged in your mind.

Once you've done that, focus on practising GMAT questions. Go through a couple of full mock tests, and figure out which types of questions you have the most trouble with. These questions are the ones where you stand to improve the most with the limited amount of time that you have, and it is these questions that you should concentrate on.

Last but certainly not least? Relax a little. Getting too worked up about things will only negatively impact your score. Take it easy, do your practice questions, and you should find yourself improving in no time.

Thanks for your advice,

I do believe that I have sorted out my areas of weakness and am now able to focus on them. I have pretty much taken the next two weeks of work so that I can get in basically 6 hours a day of practice in.

Do you recommend any online courses that I could go into for the short period of time I have?
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 2

Re: The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 21:35
lucky8 wrote:
MrFong wrote:

Thanks for your advice,

I do believe that I have sorted out my areas of weakness and am now able to focus on them. I have pretty much taken the next two weeks of work so that I can get in basically 6 hours a day of practice in.

Do you recommend any online courses that I could go into for the short period of time I have?

We do offer online courses, but to be honest, I don't think you'll really need 'em if you already have enough GMAT questions to fill your 2 weeks. Those should be sufficient to get you over the 600 mark - that's all you need, right? You don't need to aim for a particularly high score, and the GMAT is just to fulfill a requirement of a program you've essentially already been accepted to?

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern

Re: The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2012, 23:46
MrFong wrote:
lucky8 wrote:
MrFong wrote:

Thanks for your advice,

We do offer online courses, but to be honest, I don't think you'll really need 'em if you already have enough GMAT questions to fill your 2 weeks. Those should be sufficient to get you over the 600 mark - that's all you need, right? You don't need to aim for a particularly high score, and the GMAT is just to fulfill a requirement of a program you've essentially already been accepted to?

Thanks for that

Yes, all i need is 600 or above and it is just for a requirement at this stage.

I do have a lot of questions that I can do so I believe that I will just practice and do as many of them as I can in my time frame.

Other than that any other words of wisdom?

:)
Re: The Gmat Emergency, feeling like the Titanic   [#permalink] 20 Jun 2012, 23:46