Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: The GMAT is driving me nuts [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hm... wow. 3 hrs a day is significant.
I would say you may want to take a practice test and see how you do at it (if you studied just quant, you can take just the quant section and skip the verbal one - not reason to take it if you have not done verbal yet)

I would do that and verify that you are not progressing.
if that's the case, you may want to try to dig into the errors/mistakes you are making and the WHY behind them.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
There are also students that take 7 months to improve

7-months-journey-144747.html#p1161260

it depends. For sure you have to adjust your strategy accordingly
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, definitely take practice tests! You can miss a ton of questions on the GMAT and still get a really good score. The algorithm calculates your score based on which questions you miss, not just on how many questions you miss. You can miss 40% of the quant questions and get a spectacular score... or a terrible one, depending on which questions you miss. If you can learn to manage your time well on practice tests, you might not be doing as badly as you think.

I'm not sure whether this is really at the heart of your struggles, but it sounds like you're trying to memorize the steps necessary to solve every single quant question, and that probably isn't going to be the most efficient strategy in the long run, especially if you're using the often-goofy explanations in the official guide. You'll never be able to memorize every possible question variation that the GMAT invents--they're far too creative and crafty (and maybe evil?) for that. Instead, focus on understanding the concepts underneath the quant questions. This might sound geeky and silly, but the GMAT is designed as a reasoning test, not a content-based test. Yes, you need to understand some fundamentals, but the GMAT tests your ability to think through strange problems and make connections between concepts.

Sure, everybody needs to spend some time reviewing questions, but it sounds like you might be spending tons of time memorizing the steps for certain questions, and you probably want to spend more time learning concepts and attacking new questions. And doing practice tests, of course.

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.02
WE:Other (Education)
Send PM
Have you thought about taking a class? I'm a big time procrastinator. I can really say that I have studied since 2006 off and on. Last February I started to get "serious" when I heard the test was changing, and studied a few times a month. I'm easily distracted, so a class with deadlines and instruction is really helping me. If you can afford it, you should look into this option.

Best of luck!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51448 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
You have named your username after a Led Zeppelin Song! So you are DEFINITELY on the right track :)

First, 3 hours of the day is a lot of time but it really depends on what you do in those 3 hours. If you are just solving questions randomly from the OG you are doing it wrong.

1. Because your brain will definitely forget if you don't spend considerable amount of time and attention to each question.
2. You wont answer the question the way you should which is thoroughly going through the wrong answer choices to look for GMAT Traps.

After doing the above 2 steps I can confidently tell you I know every OG13 SC question and I will be able to answer any SC question which tests concepts that are based on those. I have 80% of that confidence on CR and RC and probably 90% of that in Quant. WHY? Because I really liked SC and paid more attention. Thats about it.
If you are not improving think about your strategy. Too many books and resources might flood you with more options than you want.
Ron Purewal Videos can be a breath of fresh air!
So can be the GMATClub Legend Bunuel's explanation and his SETs for Quant!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Kudos to souvik101990 for the Led Zepplin love. But maybe the username is a reference to the film instead?

Now I'm curious, DazedAndConfused! Are you a 1990s film buff, or a classic rock lover? Or both? :-D
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes, but only because I listen to Led Zeppelin while studying. :musband
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
At the risk of sounding crazy... how did that Jon Bonham line get in there? I mean, it's pretty great, but I didn't actually write it. Did a mod just edit my post? Hilarious.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51448 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Somewhere Jon Bonham is feeling SO proud!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51448 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
LOL That was me with less than 2 hours of sleep in the past 48 hours :(
I just looked at your website and I never knew we had such an expert on the forum!
Kudos!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Expert Reply
Lol, awesome! You're welcome to Led Zeppelin-ize my posts anytime. And thank you for the kind words! In all seriousness, the perfect score didn't come until I'd spent way too many years teaching GMAT courses, so it's not anywhere near as impressive as it looks.

Sorry, DazedAndConfused, we've completely hijacked your thread!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Kudos to souvik101990 for the Led Zepplin love. But maybe the username is a reference to the film instead?

Now I'm curious, DazedAndConfused! Are you a 1990s film buff, or a classic rock lover? Or both? :-D

I've never seen the film, but I was listening to the live version off of How the West Was Won when I made my profile :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1453633987

Try this book. If possible try to get GMAT Quant tutor who has scored Q51 and one whose rates are inexpensive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Yes, definitely take practice tests! You can miss a ton of questions on the GMAT and still get a really good score. The algorithm calculates your score based on which questions you miss, not just on how many questions you miss. You can miss 40% of the quant questions and get a spectacular score... or a terrible one, depending on which questions you miss. If you can learn to manage your time well on practice tests, you might not be doing as badly as you think.

I'm not sure whether this is really at the heart of your struggles, but it sounds like you're trying to memorize the steps necessary to solve every single quant question, and that probably isn't going to be the most efficient strategy in the long run, especially if you're using the often-goofy explanations in the official guide. You'll never be able to memorize every possible question variation that the GMAT invents--they're far too creative and crafty (and maybe evil?) for that. Instead, focus on understanding the concepts underneath the quant questions. This might sound geeky and silly, but the GMAT is designed as a reasoning test, not a content-based test. Yes, you need to understand some fundamentals, but the GMAT tests your ability to think through strange problems and make connections between concepts.

Sure, everybody needs to spend some time reviewing questions, but it sounds like you might be spending tons of time memorizing the steps for certain questions, and you probably want to spend more time learning concepts and attacking new questions. And doing practice tests, of course.

I hope this helps a little bit. Good luck!

Hi GMATNinja,

You hit the nail on the head with your comments about memorizing steps. We are taught different ways growing up how to solve math, science, or English problems and we try to memorize those steps to solve them. I am slowly getting out of the habit of trying to memorize steps for the GMAT because memorization has been very successful for me in the past. The old saying goes, “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks.” LOL. I think we focus too much on tests in the states. Also, I had to throw my old notes away from when I first started studying because I had too much information written down. Now I am taking notes just to remind myself of the important aspects of a concept or formulas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 08-04-2012
GPA: 3.3
WE:Accounting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
DazedAndConfused wrote:
The long and short of things are, I've been studying for close to a year and I feel like I'm spinning my wheels.

I've gone through several books, including Manhattan's foundations of GMAT math and their complete GMAT series. I'm still studying for math and after bombing the advanced OG DS word problem section, my frustrations have really come to a head.

I'm seeking a 700+ score. As ridiculous as it sounds, I almost think I'll never get there based on the rate I'm going at. For example, I'll go over a specific section in the Manhattan series (say, word problems) then by the time I finish and move on to doing the OG questions, I've forgotten material! Not to mention, there are just so many problems! Between my Manhattan GMAT books, the OG, Jeff Sackman's total GMAT (Which I WOULD NOT recommend, by the way - he makes it sound like it's a comprehensive guide that goes over problems in extreme detail when in fact, it does not) it's a bit overwhelming. It seems that by the time I get a relative handle on the OG questions and move on to others, I'll end up forgetting how to do the OG questions. There is so much material and so many variances on problems, I'm slowly sinking into the belief I won't master enough to get that elusive 700+ (and yes, I realize that no one is going to master all of the material, that is indeed borderline impossible)

I'm currently going through the whole of the OG, marking down problems that I get right and wrong. Once I complete that, I will go over again all the problems I got wrong and will keep doing so until I get them all right. Still, that's a long way from me being prepared. Each problem may have ten or so slightly different permutations, and I need to be able to do every single one. I'm at a loss on how to move forward. I'm not sure buying more books will help and while I do plan on taking a course, that's more for GMAT strategy than actual content understanding.

I'd love to be able to say I can devote hours each day, every day, to reach my goal. Of course, that's not a possibility. I'm spending far more time than just about anyone I know or have read about studying and it seems that my results have been mediocre at best.

Does anyone have any tips as to how I should proceed forward? I'm not going to give up on this, and I will get a 700, but I also want to look for ways to streamline the process so I can stop wasting time and energy on study methods that are not effective.

Thank you

A friend gave me some useful advice and told me to take a few months off. It really helped and since I already studied for over eight months I do not need to study as much. Sometimes I take two to three days off a week and this month I took off two weeks because I did not feel like studying. Everyone is different so you have to determine how many days you can take off. I do not plan to take anymore extended breaks. :)

My studying is more focused on learning the concept and trying to figure out what is being tested. I am still a work in process because I still have good and bad days while studying. Even though today is Friday I still plan to study after work. I really do not feel like studying on a Friday evening but I have to get the GMAT finished.
GMAT Club Bot