Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:47 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Send PM
Re: The Goals Essay - How much personality? [#permalink]
Any of the 08 applicants wanna share their thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
well, you're right in that the goals essays is probably the most serious of them all. But that doesn't mean you can't show a little bit of your personality.

With the goals essay, you have to answer a question (or a few questions) very specifically and it has to make logical sense. By the nature of listing your accomplishments, how you went from A to B, and what you want to do in the future, the essay will be more "business" like. What I did was to add an intro paragraph that brings the rest of my essay into perspective, and use 1 or 2 ending sentences to call back to that intro and link everything I said together.

As a rough example, I started with a quote from an entrepreneur friend of mine (since my goal was entrepreneurship), and how that quote had an impact on my self-discovery and decision to pursue an MBA. In the end, after all my experiences were summarized and my Why This School was answered, I went back and wrote a 1 sentence conclusion to show that I'm going to succeed as an entrepreneur because of all the things I've done, and that friend of mine helped nudge me on this path I'm taking to get my MBA.

There are many other ways to "add personality" to your essays, and I would strongly recommend you read some Montauk, MBA Game Plan, and Paul Bodine's sample essay books to see what style fits you the best. Harvard's 65 Successful Essays will also give you an idea of how to add personality, answer the question, and write a great essay, all in under 300 words. :)

Good luck y'all!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Out-of-box,

1. Imaginary introduction of a future event

I would probably leave this out, but it's conceivable that you could make it work. The problem with this is that it requires you to start en media res (in the middle of the action), which could cause the adcom to ask "Why is this relevant?" You want to avoid having someone read your essay, get confused, and feel like they need to reread it to contextualize your goals. They won't do that. To me, the safest and most effective way to go is to have your future goals / event be the logical conclusion of what you have done and are currently doing (i.e., your past and present condition that have already been laid out in the beginning sections of the essay). In other words, don't let the caboose drive the train.

2. Starting with a quotation or something someone said to you'

Some people don't like this because they think it's cliche, but it can be highly effective. I used an obscure (and relevant) quote to kick off my goals essay.

3. Anytime in the essay that you deliberately let go of grammar for style.'

Don't do this -- it makes it seem like you don't know grammar. This is a business school essay, not a creative writing class.

4. Humor. ANYWHERE in the goals essay

This could work if you are funny, but it's risky.

5. Description of a personal NON-career event...such as "my parents came to this country with no money..." or "while travelling in nicaragua, i discovered that climbing mountains ...."

I think this adds a lot if it's relevant and not whiny.

content-based-vanilla-but-well-researchedd essay,

1. Starting your essay with "I believe.."

NOOOO!!!!!! They know you believe it or you would not have written it.

1.a. Starting a sentence with "My short-term goals are .."

I recommend this to avoid confusion about what your goals are. It's okay to be very straightforward when guiding the reader to relevant issues.

2. Starting your essay with "Having worked as a..."

No. I'm already bored.

3. Not having ANY personal reference in ANY sentence of your essay. Personal reference means talking about a non-career focus.

It depends on what your career is, but it's reasonable. This can go either way.

4. CRYSTAL CLEAR by paragraph definition of "Past achievements, Short term goal, long term goal, Why MBA? Why now? Why this school?"

These items should be crystal clear no matter what.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I think it all depends upon you, the school your applying to, and your situation.

Me, I'm an extremely personal guy that loves life and has fun with everything I do. That's one reason I chose CPG marketing instead of MC or IB. It's important my personality comes through in the essays. I'll probably do less of this for HBS but more for Kellogg/Fuqua. Is it a risk? I don't think so, becaue it's who I am. Every current student I've talked to has said the most important part of the application is to be yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Also, keep in mind that you may have a wide range of length requirements. For one school, I had a limit of 300 words for my goals-related essay. For another school, the limit was two pages, double spaced. Just keep that in mind while you're drafting or putting together an outline for the essay.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot