Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2010, 22:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

73% (02:45) correct 27% (01:37) wrong based on 20 sessions
1. The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to perform services to correct various current social ills, especially those in education and housing. Government service, however, should be compelled only in response to a direct threat to the nation’s existence. For that reason, the proposed program should not be implemented.
Which one of the following is an assumption on which the government depends?
(A) Government-required service by young people cannot correct all social ills.
(B) The nation’s existence is directly threatened only in times of foreign attack.
(C) Crises in education and housing constitute a threat to the nation’s existence.
(D) The nation’s young people believe that current social ills pose no direct threat to the nation’s existence.
(E) Some of the social ills that currently afflict the nation do not pose a direct threat to the nation’s existence.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
How the OA is E
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 00:08
Correct answer is E .

1. The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to perform services to correct various current social ills, especially those in education and housing. Government service, however, should be compelled only in response to a direct threat to the nation’s existence. For that reason, the proposed program should not be implemented.

Option C says (C) Crises in education and housing constitute a threat to the nation’s existence.

and the conclusion is ' the proposed program (perform services to correct various current social ills, especially those in education and housing) should not be implemented ' ,clearly the assumtions is that Crises in education and housing DOES NOT constitute a threat to the nation’s existence.

Hence C is incorrrect and E is the correct answer.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE: Analyst (Insurance)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 48 [1] , given: 17

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2010, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
Yeah, uglynakedguy explained it perfectly. Now if he could only put some cloths on I'd be a bit more comfortable.

He that is in me > he that is in the world. - source 1 John 4:4

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 10:31
Yup. E it is.

"Always....Read between the lines"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 07:26
Sorry for delayed response.
I've a query.
The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to perform services to correct various current social ills, especially those in education and housing. As per my understanding this part with associated with government thought.
Government service, however, should be compelled only in response to a direct threat to the nation’s existence. For that reason, the proposed program should not be implemented. And this is some others countering or evaluating the thought.
As the same government can't propose one and then the next time counters the same.
Hence as per the question stem Government assumed what C depicts.
E would have been correct if the question was Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument opposing the plan depends?
1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Representative
Affiliations: Knewton, Inc.
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 15:12
This post received
KUDOS
Hi, angel-

The issue here is that government has "proposed" one thing but it is not necessarily "compelled" to do that thing. This is a bit unclear because the language in the question is not perfectly accurate, but that is what it seems to say.

So, in other words: there is a proposal to make young people correct social ills. However, there is a theory that government should only be compelled to act in response to a direct threat to a nation's existence.

Then, the assumption shows the missing piece; young people's correction of social ills is NOT a direct threat. That's why the argument can conclude that this proposal is not something the government is compelled to act on.

Hope that's clearer. The problem with the way the original is written is that is uses the word "compelled" incorrectly. You cannot "be compelled only in response to..."- you must "be compelled to DO SOMETHING only in response to..."

Good luck,
Alex
Knewton Verbal Lead

Alex
Knewton Verbal Developer

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 18:04
KnewtonAlex wrote:
Hi, angel-

The issue here is that government has "proposed" one thing but it is not necessarily "compelled" to do that thing. This is a bit unclear because the language in the question is not perfectly accurate, but that is what it seems to say.

So, in other words: there is a proposal to make young people correct social ills. However, there is a theory that government should only be compelled to act in response to a direct threat to a nation's existence.

Then, the assumption shows the missing piece; young people's correction of social ills is NOT a direct threat. That's why the argument can conclude that this proposal is not something the government is compelled to act on.

Hope that's clearer. The problem with the way the original is written is that is uses the word "compelled" incorrectly. You cannot "be compelled only in response to..."- you must "be compelled to DO SOMETHING only in response to..."

Good luck,
Alex
Knewton Verbal Lead

I still beg to differ sir. The first premise states that Government is proposing something. However, the second premise is unclear if Government is the one that considers implementing the proposal as a compulsion or not. Still seems like the the author is assuming and thereby, stating a theory that usually Government only implements something when it considers it as a compulsion. In that sense, E is still the author's assumption based on which the author is concluding the argument.

I am AWESOME and it's gonna be LEGENDARY!!!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: UCLA, INSEAD
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 15

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2010, 19:57
This post received
KUDOS
My answer to this was C as well. My reading of the question was essentially "On what assumption is the government depending to justify its proposal for required government service?" - the assumption in answer E seems to conflict with what the government is proposing.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 13:49
vannbj wrote:
Yeah, uglynakedguy explained it perfectly. Now if he could only put some cloths on I'd be a bit more comfortable.

:) :) :).... No offence to the uglynakedguy.... but a nice one from vannbj!! :)

Cheers!
JT...........
If u like my post..... payback in Kudos!! :beer

|Do not post questions with OA|Please underline your SC questions while posting|Try posting the explanation along with your answer choice|
|For CR refer Powerscore CR Bible|For SC refer Manhattan SC Guide|

~~Better Burn Out... Than Fade Away~~

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2010, 04:20
I am confused b/w D and E can anybody help why D is not the answer ???
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 02:47
I must say it is one of the ugly questions .... but still I'm agreeing with Barney and tann as I'm still not convinced with E
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 04:41
well, I thought E was quite straight forward.

The argument is that a particular proposal should not be implemented until it threatens a nation's existence. Then there is a talk of social ills, which mandated the proposal.

I prephrased the apparent gap between the argument and the premise: "social ills do not threaten the nation's existence"

(C) would actually contribute to the conclusion that the new proposal should be implemented.
(D) what nation's young people believe is not the concern here. It is out of scope.
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 0

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2010, 10:35
angel2009 wrote:
(B) The nation’s existence is directly threatened only in times of foreign attack.
(C) Crises in education and housing constitute a threat to the nation’s existence.
(D) The nation’s young people believe that current social ills pose no direct threat to the nation’s existence.
(E) Some of the social ills that currently afflict the nation do not pose a direct threat to the nation’s existence.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
How the OA is E

The second sentence is a principle that must be treated as a premise in this line of reasoning. The question is, if you accept this premise as valid, is it logical to conclude that the proposed program should not be implemented? Only if you accept the underlining assumption that the current social ills do not directly threaten the nation's existence
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 335

Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 03:25
premise:Government service should be compelled only in response to a direct threat to the nation’s existence
Conclusion: The proposed program should not be implemented.

now ask Why? (conclusion)the program should not be implement

ull get a hint of assumption: Crises in education and housing do not constitute a threat to the nation’s existence(only then it should not be implemented)

(A) Government-required service by young people cannot correct all social ills. not related
(C) Crises in education and housing constitute a threat to the nation’s existence.this is exactly the opposite to the assumption and its a good trap
(D) The nation’s young people believe that current social ills pose no direct threat to the nation’s existence.if the young feel so they will not attempt to do it then y should Gov not implement it(out of scope)

E is some what close to the asumption

but i dont know how B is wrong:(

One Final Try.......

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kindly explain why C is wrong? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 03:38
E it is. The explanations above are good.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2014, 09:01
angel2009 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
How the OA is E

For the argument to make sense we need the assumption that the government does not consider the social ills to be a direct threat to the nation's existence. Note that answer D talks about the young people's opinion. We don't care about this, we care about the government's opinion. Therefore E is the correct answer choice

Hope it clarifies
Cheers
J
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 03:12
I was able to eliminate rest of the choices but I am still not clear about validity of option (E) as I feel it leaves scope to error.
(E) Some of the social ills that currently afflict the nation do not pose a direct threat to the nation’s existence

Some of social ills do not pose but what about the rest of social ills which might include housing and education.
Re: The government has proposed a plan requiring young people to   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2014, 03:12