Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 14:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 323 [2] , given: 1

Premium Member
The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

58% (02:14) correct 42% (01:32) wrong based on 215 sessions
35. The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates, suggesting they are too optimistic.

A. The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs,
B. The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts,
C. The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission,
D. For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, the government prediction that the Federal Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs,
E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce costs,
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Last edited by mau5 on 03 Aug 2013, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:57
Quote:
35. The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates, suggesting they are too optimistic.

A. The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs,
B. The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal Communication Commission's telephone rate cuts,
C. The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission,
D. For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, the government prediction that the Federal Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs,
E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce costs,

D and E - the govt is modified incorrectly.
C -Government's prediction wrong
I will go for B. But the word 'Recent' is missing.
Hence answer is A. Also, I am not able to find a fault with A.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 21:04
A

I narrowed down between A & E.
E is awkward with the placement of the modifier.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 21:13
A. The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs

A is correct as main sentence The government predicts that the federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 323 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 00:48
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 10:58
yeah A on this

is the only one that actually makes sense when you read it.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 323 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 17:01
This post received
KUDOS
Come on! , getafixdruid, fresinha12, saravalli. I wish you came earlier! people choose choice A , but do not give here any reasoning! Bored!

All the post here I made is GmatPrep, Pls stay with me to crack it! :lol:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 11:36
How is 'the government' modified incorrectly in D and E?

Leopard wrote:
Quote:

D and E - the govt is modified incorrectly.
C -Government's prediction wrong
I will go for B. But the word 'Recent' is missing.
Hence answer is A. Also, I am not able to find a fault with A.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 12:43
all other things being equal, what is the difference between:

'For consumers and businesses that make large number of calls'
AND
'For consumers and businesses making large number of calls'
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 13:18
Predictions denotes time frame in future and thus require “will”.
Eliminate B, C

Between A, D and E

D. For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, the government prediction that the Federal Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, [The government prediction creates a phrase - eliminate it]
E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce costs, [making – shown progressive form – eliminate it]

Answer: A
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2008, 13:22
gmat blows wrote:

AND

The first entry creates a clause -

that modifies "'For consumers and businesses " and "make" functions as verb.

The second entry creates a modifying phrase - no Subject or Verb
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 99

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2009, 11:41
gmat blows wrote:

AND

I think both are equal. second one is reduced clause 'making = that make'.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. long-distance calls [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2009, 07:16

B - reduced ... by is unclear
C is out - they cannot refer to the possessive pronoun
D and E - distort the meaning. For consumers ... should modify the clause following "that."
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 543

Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 23:18
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 15

Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 00:33
can't find anything wrong with B :(
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1199 [2] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 00:41
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed analysis on this one. Thanks!

The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates, suggesting they are too optimistic.

B and C use an unnecessary passive voice, for now we can eliminate them.
D is not a sentence
For consumers and businesses that make large number of long-distance calls, modifier the government prediction that the Federal Communication's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs (modifier of the prediction),
So "the government prediction" ?? what?

E. For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce cost

They are pretty much the same except for the placement of "for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls": this is technically an adverbial phrase (not 100% sure, but does not matter). The thing that matter is the meaning: if you place this modifier as it is in A you say that the policy will reduce costs FOR those costumers. (correct meaning)
If you place it as it is in option E you are saying that the gov predicts something FOR those costumers (...) (incorrect meaning).

Moreover
the Federal communication's recent telephone rate cuts is much better than the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 543

Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2013, 01:08
My analysis is pretty similar to yours I eliminated

B and C because of tense "will be greatly reduced"

E changes tense unnecessarily "has made"

And D isn't a complete sentence! took a while though but got A :)

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

SVP
SVP
Followers: 280

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2014, 07:22
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2014, 07:22