Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 7

The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 09:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (02:18) correct 26% (01:43) wrong based on 138 sessions
The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract advertising expenses from their revenues in calculating taxable income. Tobacco companies would then have to pay more taxes. As a consequence, they would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would discourage tobacco use.
Which of the following is an additional premise required by the argument above?
(A) Tobacco companies would not offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other areas.
(B) Tobacco companies would not continue to advertise if they were forced to pay higher taxes.
(C) People would not continue to buy tobacco products if these products were no longer advertised.
(D) The money the government would gain as a result of the increase in tobacco companies’ taxable income would be used to educate the public about the dangers of tobacco use.
(E) The increase in taxes paid by tobacco companies would be equal to the additional income generated by raising prices.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 11

Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 23:22
Clear A - the argument assumes that prices will have to be raised to offset additional tax costs. This may not happen if the tobacco companies are able to meet the increased costs through cost cuts. They will then not have to increase prices.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco [#permalink] New post 19 May 2012, 08:38
Conclusions :
Removing Tax rebate on advertise expenses would compel companies to increase the prices of the product.

So any implicit assumption that would contribute in making this conclusion viable would be the right answer

Let's try to explore options :
(A) Tobacco companies would not offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other areas.
- So conclusion would hold true - CORRECT

(B) Tobacco companies would not continue to advertise if they were forced to pay higher taxes.
- Conclusion may not hold true because companies may stop advertising to save money and in-turn prices will not rise - INCORRECT

(C) People would not continue to buy tobacco products if these products were no longer advertised.
- Not directly relevant - INCORRECT

(D) The money the government would gain as a result of the increase in tobacco companies’ taxable income would be used to educate the public about the dangers of tobacco use.
- Irrelevant, how that money would be used - INCORRECT

(E) The increase in taxes paid by tobacco companies would be equal to the additional income generated by raising prices.
- This may be true but doesn't make the premise for conclusion to hold true - INCORRECT

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 03:53
Expert's post
anordinaryguy wrote:
Conclusions :
Removing Tax rebate on advertise expenses would compel companies to increase the prices of the product.

So any implicit assumption that would contribute in making this conclusion viable would be the right answer

- Conclusion may not hold true because companies may stop advertising to save money and in-turn prices will not rise - INCORRECT

- This may be true but doesn't make the premise for conclusion to hold true - INCORRECT

How can you say that C is irrelevant. If people continue to buy products which aren't being advertised, then there isn't any need for these companies to advertise these products and therefore no higher taxes. I am still confused between A and C. Both seem correct to me.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:15
siddharthasingh wrote:
anordinaryguy wrote:
Conclusions :

How can you say that C is irrelevant. If people continue to buy products which aren't being advertised, then there isn't any need for these companies to advertise these products and therefore no higher taxes. I am still confused between A and C. Both seem correct to me.

Refer to the conclusion drawn above. Statement C may be true or be a relevant fact but it is not relevant in reference to conclusion drawn above.

Please give kudos if you like my reply!

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 05:49
Expert's post
I guess the conclusion is : they would raise the prices of their products and this increase would raise the prices of their products and this PRICE RISE WOULD DISCOURAGE TOBACCO USE.
Now if the people who buy tobacco, keep on doing so even if the price rises, then this conclusion falls apart.
Let me know if I am missing something.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 04:43
option C states that people will stop buying tobacco when product is no longer advertised. But there is mention in the statements that company is stopping the ads.

Marcab wrote:
I guess the conclusion is : they would raise the prices of their products and this increase would raise the prices of their products and this PRICE RISE WOULD DISCOURAGE TOBACCO USE.
Now if the people who buy tobacco, keep on doing so even if the price rises, then this conclusion falls apart.
Let me know if I am missing something.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

My posts: Solving Inequalities, Solving Simultaneous equations, Divisibility Rules

My story: 640 What a blunder!

Vocabulary resource: EdPrep

Facebook page: fb.com/EdPrep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 21

Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 18:18
A is the lesser of all the evils IMO.

We assume that the tobacco will pass on the cost to consumers, and not reduce cost or absorb it altogether.

So A is clearly the correct answer.

I was thinking about E for a second though. I looked at E as an implication that the consumer may not purchase the product at a higher price. Higher cost>>Higher price>>Consumer don't buy. But the answer choice does to address the consumer, so I threw it out and went with A.
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to   [#permalink] 26 Jan 2013, 18:18