Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The governor s team of advisors, including her education and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 247 [0], given: 67

The governor s team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 10:16
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

43% (02:16) correct 57% (00:37) wrong based on 65 sessions
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the release of her controversial education reform proposal.

A has not been available for comment since the release of her controversial education reform proposal
B have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal
C has not been available to make comments since releasing her proposal on controversial education reform
D have not been available for comment since releasing her controversial education reform proposal
E has not been available to make comments since the release of her proposal on controversial reform in education
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 4

Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 22:51
This post received
KUDOS
There is no requirement to use prepositions to make the sentence wordy.

For eg. prince sat on a gold throne OR prince sat on the throne of gold.

Sentence one is preferable, the structure S + V + ADJ + NOUN preferred over S + V + NOUN + prepositional phrase.

I hope that is fine
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 249

Kudos [?]: 862 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The governor s team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Darmody wrote:
Hi guys,

I have seen this question on manhattan gmat and even though I got the correct answer but still was not really convinced by the use of the pronoun "her" to refer to the governor who is only present in the possessive "the governor's team". I also read this topic about this sentence where some people seem to believe it is a wrong usage :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-governors-team-of-advisors-including-her-education-and-75712.html?hilit=The%20governor%E2%80%99s%20team%20of%20advisors

Please can somebody convincingly give the final word on whether a pronouns which refers to an antecedent in the possessive form are accepted by the GMAT or not ? Thanks a lot!

Hi Darmody,

"her" is a possessive pronoun and it can refer to the possessive "governor's". If you consider the original sentence, the answer choice (A) uses "the governor" in the underlined part because "she" can not be used for a possessive noun "governor's"

The following sentence will be correct as per GMAT

The editor's team and his family went to the ceremony.

The following will not be correct

The editor's team accompanied him to the ceremony.

The following will be correct

The editor's team accompanied the editor and his family to the ceremony.

I hope it clears your doubt,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 12:27
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the release of her controversial education reform proposal.

A has not been available for comment since the release of her controversial education reform proposal correct Sub-verb usage
B have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal Singular collective noun team will have a singular verb
C has not been available to make comments since releasing her proposal on controversial education reform seems like the proposal is on controversial education, but the original sentence means that the proposal itself is controversial
D have not been available for comment since releasing her controversial education reform proposal
E has not been available to make comments since the release of her proposal on controversial reform in education wordy plus to make is redundant
VP
VP

Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 13:21
adineo wrote:

A has not been available for comment since the release of her controversial education reform proposal correct Sub-verb usage
B have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal Singular collective noun team will have a singular verb
C has not been available to make comments since releasing her proposal on controversial education reform seems like the proposal is on controversial education, but the original sentence means that the proposal itself is controversial
E has not been available to make comments since the release of her proposal on controversial reform in education wordy plus to make is redundant

Thanks for the answer in a very concise i am not sure whether use of "to make" call s for redundancy.....
If you can clear my doubt on the point that what should be placed next to release proposal or controversial edu......I think its the proposal that is being released hence that should be placed next to release
VP
VP

Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 06:59
adineo wrote:
There is no requirement to use prepositions to make the sentence wordy.

For eg. prince sat on a gold throne OR prince sat on the throne of gold.

Sentence one is preferable, the structure S + V + ADJ + NOUN preferred over S + V + NOUN + prepositional phrase.

I hope that is fine

That was really good and simplest way to explain
thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 08:29
Things can get subtle on GMAT. An interesting "change in meaning" of the original sentence occurs in C:

...since releasing her proposal on controversial education reform.

This seems to suggest as if The governor’s team of advisors released the proposal. There is nothing in the original sentence to suggest this.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:11

Can someone explain to whom highlighted her refer to? Is it governor? (but it is not in the sentence or the meaning is implied?)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2012, 10:42
sguntaka wrote:

Can someone explain to whom highlighted her refer to? Is it governor? (but it is not in the sentence or the meaning is implied?)

Yes, her refers to governor. Since her is a possessive pronoun it can refer to possessive governor's
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 6

Re: The governor s team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 11:51
Hi guys,

I have seen this question on manhattan gmat and even though I got the correct answer but still was not really convinced by the use of the pronoun "her" to refer to the governor who is only present in the possessive "the governor's team". I also read this topic about this sentence where some people seem to believe it is a wrong usage :
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-governors-team-of-advisors-including-her-education-and-75712.html?hilit=The%20governor%E2%80%99s%20team%20of%20advisors

Please can somebody convincingly give the final word on whether a pronouns which refers to an antecedent in the possessive form are accepted by the GMAT or not ? Thanks a lot!
Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: MOdifier [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 13:15
Archit143 wrote:
adineo wrote:

Thanks for the answer in a very concise i am not sure whether use of "to make" call s for redundancy.....
If you can clear my doubt on the point that what should be placed next to release proposal or controversial edu......I think its the proposal that is being released hence that should be placed next to release

E is wrong because of the incorrect placement of the word CONTROVERSIAL, which wrongly seems to suggest that the edn reform was controversial in contrast to the intended meaning, as per stimulus,........the proposal per se was controversial.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: The governor s team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 23:21
please help me u'stand how the usage 'has not been able for comment' is a correct usage
Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 249

Kudos [?]: 862 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The governor s team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 23:40
Expert's post
ramanujanu wrote:
please help me u'stand how the usage 'has not been able for comment' is a correct usage

Hi ramanujanu,

I agree with you that it is not a very elegant way of expressing the thought. But, the usage, though it may sound awkward is correct. It is not very frequently used in normal written and oral communication.

I got the following example from the net in which "for comment" is used correctly.

Immigration Law Expert Available for Comment on Senators’ Proposal to Overhaul Immigration Laws.

Moreover, choice (A) in the original sentence is the only one that does not contain other apparent grammatical or meaning based errors.

Bottomline: "for comment" is correct.

Tip: before considering the idiomatic usage you should try to eliminate the answer choices based on contextual meaning and grammar.

Hope that helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Re: The governor s team of advisors, including her education and   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2013, 23:40