Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 09:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The governors team of advisors, including her education and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2011, 04:52
This post received
KUDOS
I still don't understand why it can't be D. The former part of the statement anyway uses her in reference to the governor.

petrifiedbutstanding

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 74

Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 07:54
petrifiedbutstanding wrote:
I still don't understand why it can't be D. The former part of the statement anyway uses her in reference to the governor.

You have spotted what all others including me missed! Kudos..

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 154

Kudos [?]: 510 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 10:52
Hi guys,

I have been contacted by gmatpapa to help with this question.

btw what is the source of the question?

My choice is E.
Here is why:
First, in "including her" in not underlined portion of the sentence "her" - is a determiner, not a pronoun and it can't be a referent. However, a sentence before might have mentioned who is "she".
I do not see a problem when a pronoun is mentioned instead of a noun (see A vs. E). and who is she I don't care.

Read the sentence in this way: "Since she <anyone> released her proposal [on...], the governor's <the governor may be a man or a woman- we don't know this, we can only assume it> team has not been available to make comments". - Everything seems to be fine here.

Second, As all of you have spotted team requires the verb has. So no discussions here.

Third, what confuses me most is that almost all of you have ignored the last words of the sentence.

The intended meaning is the following: a woman has released a proposal
What is controversial: reform or proposal? I think that a reform might be controversial, since reform implies a change and changes often imply controversions. controversial is an adjective and modifies the word reform.
Reform in what? It seem that the reform is in education. This flow of words clearly conveys the intendet meaning of the sentence.

Hence E for me.

Why have I dismissed A?

well read this again slowly "governor released her controversial education" . It is a nonsense.
Don't you think so?

how could a governor release a controversial education?! :) Does it seem logically sound to you?
what meaning does have "reform proposal"?

This nonsense meaning makes A wrong choice for me.

p.s. to whom it may concern: guys, I really discourage you from looking in spoiler for correct answer choice first and then respond the question providing reasons like "+A" or "A since team requires the verb has" (well there are other choices with "has" but one does not provide any additional reasoning).

You have to reason to yourself why your answer choice is correct.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Followers: 75

Kudos [?]: 117 [0], given: 7

Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 17:43

Petrified -

This is a classic GMAT trick. Remember the rule here: all pronouns must have antecedents in the sentence. "She" and "her" are pronouns that are trying to refer back to the governor. However, nowhere in this sentence do we have the noun "governor." What we do have is: "the governor's team of advisors." However, here the noun is "team of advisors" and "the governor's" is serving not as a noun, but as an adjective modifying the team itself.

We even have a name for this mistake: possessive poison.

Does that help you see why D is wrong?

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 74

Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 23:19
BKimball wrote:

Petrified -

This is a classic GMAT trick. Remember the rule here: all pronouns must have antecedents in the sentence. "She" and "her" are pronouns that are trying to refer back to the governor. However, nowhere in this sentence do we have the noun "governor." What we do have is: "the governor's team of advisors." However, here the noun is "team of advisors" and "the governor's" is serving not as a noun, but as an adjective modifying the team itself.

We even have a name for this mistake: possessive poison.

Does that help you see why D is wrong?

Brett

Hi Brett,

Even in the part that is not underlined, there is a pronoun "her". Is this correct? We don't see any clear antecedent for this pronoun.

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 03:22
A for me. Thanks for explanation BKimball.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2012, 23:31
A is clearer. D changing meaning.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2012, 07:16
A
BKimball's analysis was excellent kudos
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2012, 17:01
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal.

(A) has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal
(B) have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal - Team is Singular
(C) have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform - Team is Singular
(D) has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal - Whom does she refer to.
(E) has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education - where dies she refer to
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC governor [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 04:36
BKimball wrote:
Tania,

It looks like you're not satisfied with the explanations of why "she" in E can't refer to "governor's." Let's try to make it a little more explicit:

Rule: On the GMAT, every pronoun must have a noun antecedent in that sentence. The antecedent need not appear before the pronoun, but it must be there in noun form.

In E: "she" is trying to refer back to the governor. Unfortunately, there is no noun form of "governor" in the sentence. Instead, we have "the governor's team of advisors" where the word "governor" is in the possessive tense and serving to modify the subject of the sentence: team.

Other examples of this "possessive poison" error:

"I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." --> Here "his" is trying to refer to "Jose" but cannot legally do so. Fix: "I bought Jose a birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party."

"Nobody knows why he dresses this way, but Steve's signature wardrobe is a black turtleneck with jeans and tennis shoes." Again, "he" is trying to refer to "Steve" but cannot do so because "Steve" is not present in the sentence as a noun.

That help?

Brett

Thanks Brett for your comments. but doesn't modifier phrase "including her education and political strategist" where "her" is used necessiate the use of She in following clause to clear ambiguity regarding "her" use in the modifier pharse? Thanks!!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 05:27
Expert's post
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal.

(A) has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal
(B) have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal
(C) have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform
(D) has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal
(E) has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education

The key thing about modifier is that if you remove them from the sentence, then also the sentence can stand on its own.
Since the modifier is "including her education and strategists", therefore we can safely cross it off. Upon removal of this modifier, the rest of the sentence has to stand on its own, but in the answer choices there is still a pronoun SHE, which typically has no referrent in the sentence.
This is the reason, why A is correct and why rest of the answer choices are incorrect.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

CAT Tests
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 05:49
I agree that correct answer should be A as SHE does not have an antecedent in E

But what about her (does it have an antecedent in --- "including her education and political strategists" --- In non-underline portion)
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 616 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 07:28
Expert's post
Its a part of modifier. Even if you remoe that modifier, the sentence must stand on its own. The sentence, excluding the modifier, must not contain any pronoun without a referrent.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 93

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 08:28
This statement has three clauses, all separated by commas. If you see the second sentence, it uses "her"for governor as a pronoun.
B and C can be eliminated owing to "Subject verb agreement"as "team"is singular and "have" cannot be used for "team".
D can be straight away eliminated to "Vague pronoun reference".
E can also be eliminated due to "Vague pronoun reference"as we have to choose the "best"possible choice and its better not to use "she" inthe last clause, so as to define the statement more clearly.
Hence, the answer A.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 21:15
Split between Have and Has,go for 'has' since Team (subject) takes singular form of verb.
This leaves us with options A),D) and E).
E) is wordy, also 'She' pronoun cannot refer to posessive , which in this case if Governor.
that leaves with option A) and D).
Option D) -> 'She' pronoun cannot refer to posessive , which in this case if Governor.
Hence correct answer is Option A).
Cheers
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2013, 23:58
Referring team so one, "has" to be used.

Options left are A,D & E.

Between A & D, A is right since antecedent of "she" in D refers to team..Antecedent cant be governor bcoz it is acting as a adjective.

Saabi
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 1279 [0], given: 119

Premium Member
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 23:05

Correct.

(B) have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal
Wrong.

(C) have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform
Wrong.

(D) has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal
Wrong. We must repeat "the governor" to make the sentence more clear. Because "she" may modify one of governor's advisors.

(E) has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education
Wrong. We must repeat "the governor" to make the sentence more clear. Because "she" may modify one of governor's advisors. Also, E changes meaning.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2014, 11:56
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2014, 11:56