Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 41

The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 13:21
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

18% (01:48) correct 82% (00:36) wrong based on 78 sessions
The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than is the GMAT.
(A) which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than is
(B) first administered in 1949, is four years older than
(C) which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than
(D) first administered in 1949, is four years older as is
(E) first administered in 1949, is four years older than is

Is it necessary to have older than 'is'....why is not B correct?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: 1540 Q800 V740
Followers: 64

Kudos [?]: 288 [1] , given: 11

Re: older than is!!!! [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
Kapil, a comparison must be between like things. The GRE's age cannot be compared to the GMAT - it must be compared with the GMAT's age. Further, this construction has played around by bringing in the 'is' before the noun - an uncommon but still grammatically usage.

GyanOne | http://www.GyanOne.com | +91 9899831738

Get a free detailed MBA profile evaluation

Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions blog

Last edited by GyanOne on 06 Mar 2013, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [3] , given: 31

Re: older than is!!!! [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
kapilagrawal123 wrote:
The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than is the GMAT.
(A) which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than is
(B) first administered in 1949, is four years older than
(C) which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than
(E) first administered in 1949, is four years older than is

OA: E. Is it necessary to have older than 'is'....why is not B correct?

With all due respect to GyanOne, I disagree.

I believe this question is fundamentally flawed. In my reading, (B) is 100% correct. The subject is not "the GRE's age", but rather just "the GRE". If we drop the modifying clause between the commas, (B) becomes:
(B) The GRE is four years older than the GMAT.
That is a classic correct comparison --- noun to noun comparison. Adding the modifier doesn't change anything. (B) is 100% correct. In fact, (A) & (C) are also grammatically correct, although a bit wordier.

What is the source of this question? Keep in mind that not all GMAT SC practice questions are created equal. Some are excellent --- for example, MGMAT consistent produces high quality questions. Many, even from companies with reputable names, are absolutely atrocious. If I had to give the question writer a grade for this question, I would give an F. This is an abysmal failure of a question.

In a true GMAT SC question or a high quality practice question, there are clear grammatical errors separating most of the incorrect choices from the correct choice, and the wordiness/concision thing is usually not used as a split for more than one answer.

Here's a high quality question, a practice SC question dealing with comparisons:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/3229
When you submit your answer, the following page will have a complete video explanation. Each one of Magoosh's 700+ GMAT practice questions has its own video explanation, for accelerated learning.

Let me know if anyone reading this has any further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 07:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 11:22

(A) which was first administered in 1949, is four years older thanis....." which" gives a specific GRE exam---1949 one , but we are talking of the GRE Exam which continues till date.......
(B) first administered in 1949, is four years older than......correct
(C)which was first administered in 1949, is four years older than.....
(E) first administered in 1949, is four years older thanis

IMO---------
He is 4 yrs older than me..........CORRECT
HE is 4 yrs older than am i.......AWKWARD
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 16:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
semwal wrote:
IMO---------

Dear semwal
This is a case in which the less preferred version is so common in colloquial English that is sounds more natural, and the truly correct version sounds awkward.

Technically, "than me" is not 100% wrong --- Shakespeare used it, and some grammatical liberals would argue that it is perfectly correct --- but in the relatively conservative environment of GMAT SC, it will never fly. The structure "than me" and any related structure, a pronoun in the objective case following "than," will be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

You see, the GMAT is in love with parallelism, and having the subjective case of the pronoun brings out the parallelism.
He is 4 yrs older than am I. (The S-V reversal is particularly highfalutin, given the subject!)
He is 4 yrs older than I am. (What I would say, given the subject)

Does all this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Corporate Finance (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 18:06
mikemcgarry wrote:
semwal wrote:
IMO---------

Dear semwal
This is a case in which the less preferred version is so common in colloquial English that is sounds more natural, and the truly correct version sounds awkward.

Technically, "than me" is not 100% wrong --- Shakespeare used it, and some grammatical liberals would argue that it is perfectly correct --- but in the relatively conservative environment of GMAT SC, it will never fly. The structure "than me" and any related structure, a pronoun in the objective case following "than," will be wrong 100% of the time on the GMAT.

You see, the GMAT is in love with parallelism, and having the subjective case of the pronoun brings out the parallelism.
He is 4 yrs older than am I. (The S-V reversal is particularly highfalutin, given the subject!)

Hi Mike,

I understand the Subject-to-subject and object-to-object rules of comparisons. Still, how do you test whether or not the comparison clause should include a verb? I'm not as confident as I'd like to be on those questions, unlike the one above.

Thanks for all your quality posts!

A little kudos never hurt anyone. :)

Current Student
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 47

Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 06:44
mikemcgarry wrote:
semwal wrote:

thanks for a great explanation !!!!!
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 2273 [0], given: 31

Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2014, 09:02
Expert's post
mejia401 wrote:
Hi Mike,

I understand the Subject-to-subject and object-to-object rules of comparisons. Still, how do you test whether or not the comparison clause should include a verb? I'm not as confident as I'd like to be on those questions, unlike the one above.

Thanks for all your quality posts!

Dear mejia401,
Thank you for your kind words. :-)

Really, in almost all cases of comparisons, inclusion of the verb in the second branch is completely optional and a matter of taste.
Chris is smarter than I.
Chris is smarter than I am.

Both of those are 100% grammatically correct. Because so many folks use and expect to hear the mistake "... than me", I think the first, without the verb, sounds funny, so I always would say the second, with the verb. That's just my own opinion on what sounds better, but both are correct.

In the very rare case in which the second verb is different, then of course you would need to include the verb:
Chris eats an entire meal faster than I cut up my food.
Such a case is unlikely to appear on the GMAT. In comparisons, and in any form of parallelism, you are always allowed to drop repeated words that are clear from context. See:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping-c ... -the-gmat/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: The GRE, which was first administered in 1949, is four years   [#permalink] 12 Mar 2014, 09:02